Eight people killed following horrific car crash in Nong Khai

webfact

Why sorry about the two other people in the second car/pickup ?

If the driver was driving correctly and not at " high speed" as it is written he could see the first vehicle and use his brakes or avoid the first vehicle ( if they didn't failed) .

That is only a maybe, and you don't know the full facts so why speculate on what might have / might not have happen.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

" ... around 1.40am ... reports the five men, who were electricians and all from the same village, and the woman had just left a nearby karaoke bar ... ".

So a good chance they were all pi$$ed, then.

I wasn't at the karaoke bar when these people were there.

I don't know the deceased.

I don't know if they were drinking.

I know that I don't know any more than what I have read.

I do know that eight people are dead and it's a very sad thing.

Think, Think, Think.

Think, now that is a bit of a problem for some people.

Why do people need to drive pickup trucks like they are sports cars. I just don't get it. R.I.P

Because that is how the Pick-up truck makers ( Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi etc.) advertise their vehicles, as something they are not.

Indeed, the Toyota D2D was not able to comply with safety standards in Sweden, some problem that it would roll over in a sharp left / right swerve....maybe they were designed to keep in a straight line when confronted with gangs of rapist Islamists?

roadworks and they were both speeding, one would expect lights to warn drivers of roadworks but they stopped using them in Thailand as many were stolen by people, was very surprised when I was informed of this by my wife. Usually safety lights are mandatory at road works but thefts have stopped this here, the fact that many roads do not have lights of a night doesnt help either but in this case you can bet speed/alcohol played a major part as well.

They recently resurfaced the main Sukhumvit road near to where I live, the street lights where deliberately turned off

on the stretch of unsurfaced rutted road ! also no warning signs

( maybe they think the lack of lights is the warning to slow down ? )

There where a few motorbike accidents due to hitting the ruts at speed.

A good driver always drives according to the road conditions at the time. He is aware of what is coming up in front and also what is behind him. If it is raining he slows down so that he can stop if the unexpected occurs. He uses his mirrors often. If it is dark, drive within headlight vision. If there seem to be roadworks or poor surface, slow down.

It is usually people who are not driving within stopping capability that end up in accidents/incidents like this.

Mmmm, it's always easy to cast dispersions about someones abilities after an accident. It is common practice to look for fault. 'They were drunk' or 'they were speeding' for example. We are also prone to making assumptions based on Correspondence Bias without knowing all the facts.

There are so many factors at play here that without a proper thorougher 'scene of crime' investigation we are never going to know exactly how it played out.

Of course we can point fingers at the easy low fruit. Late at night and been to a karaoke bar so 'obviously'(?) drinking. No lights, road works?

But many factors probably played a part.

The second two guys were very unfortunate. If we drive say, by UK Police Rider Advanced advice - 'Always ride in such a manner that you can stop within the distance you can see to be safe ahead'. Well that might work great for the majority of UK riding, but does not account for the frequency of oncoming vehicles travelling on the wrong side of the road, coming round blind bends in Thailand.

If someone has never been taught to deal with such situations then how can they be expected to manage them when things go wrong?

What's important to us is trying to make sure we do not make the same mistakes.

From the photo the car is an absolute wreck. Makes you wonder what kind of speed the driver was doing?

Nissan Navara's always look pretty tough to me. I guess it doesn't matter what car you are in, if you are speeding and have an accident then you haven't got that much chance really.

Throw beer into the mix as well and you can only expect the worst.

RIP

statistically in a pick up it is more likely to get seriously hurt, in case of an accident, as to a normal sedan.

The construction (rolcage) is not the same due to the model. It appears stronger, because it is bigger.

Edited by BuriramDevelopers

Why do people need to drive pickup trucks like they are sports cars. I just don't get it. R.I.P

Think you better should ask why they keep sitting in the back of a pick up truck.

No belts, no airbags, no protection. And if something happends you can be sure they been trown out in all directions.

RIP. a horrible "accident".

i don't know why people have to jump to conclusions about drinking.

i know for a fact they were not drinking at the karaoke bar. i have been in these kind of places. they serve mostly fruit juice and the ladies engage in polite conversation, mostly spiritual in nature. some of them have lovely voices.

more photos at original story:

http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_newsonline.php?newsid=1457058007

1. Because they learned how to drive on a scooter, which is a toy to them.

2. Due to whatever blessing the car has had or their tattoo / amulet, they are more or lesa invincible.

3. Because Mai pen rai.

Why sorry about the two other people in the second car/pickup ?

If the driver was driving correctly and not at " high speed" as it is written he could see the first vehicle and use his brakes or avoid the first vehicle ( if they didn't failed) .

because of this there were no road lights working at the time of the accident.

See the first vehicle? Maybe not.

That's what those things on the front of your car are for. There is also a switch to extend their range.

Because that is how the Pick-up truck makers ( Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi etc.) advertise their vehicles, as something they are not.
That is an excellent answer. You are absolutely bang on.

Juat as utilities (utes), specifically Holden and Ford, are advertised in Australia. They are not sports cars, in spite of the marketing, sporty suspension and huge capacity engines, and I'm yet to see a ute driver who is not an imbecile, and thinks he's driving a Ferrari.

Most would be in the lowest half percent of the intellectual spectrum, incapable of rationalizing the consequences of their driving. Add a couple of beers, and......

Thailand is aiming for No 1 in the world!

If you count those killed at the scene of the accident plus those to die as the result of the accident on the way or at hospital (not counted in the road death tally), Thailand is already No 1, and so far ahead of the rest of the world it's out of sight.

I have been telling people this for years Artisi, they just don't want to believe it.

The only way out of this carnage IMO is to start with Driver Education plus massive fines for breaking the law.

Thais drive lorries, buses and vans like they are sports cars, why do you think they would drive pick up trucks any differently ?

" ... around 1.40am ... reports the five men, who were electricians and all from the same village, and the woman had just left a nearby karaoke bar ... ".

Friday night too, seems likely.

Think you better should ask why they keep sitting in the back of a pick up truck.

No belts, no airbags, no protection. And if something happends you can be sure they been trown out in all directions.

You may remember a while back there was an accident when a car pulled across a car come bus that was full of young school kids. They all fell out of the back of that vehicle. Thankfully none seemed to have been badly hurt.

The question is, does anyone think those kids travel to school differently now ?

My guess would be no.

If you count those killed at the scene of the accident plus those to die as the result of the accident on the way or at hospital (not counted in the road death tally), Thailand is already No 1, and so far ahead of the rest of the world it's out of sight.

I have been telling people this for years Artisi, they just don't want to believe it.

The only way out of this carnage IMO is to start with Driver Education plus massive fines for breaking the law.

What's the point in having massive fines if people don't have the money to pay them?

What's the point in having massive fines if people don't have the money to pay them?

What they do in other country's.

Put them in jail.

Simple really.

The extreme apathy, indifference, and lack of concern on the part of the government continues unabated. Will anything ever change? Will the grown children in charge ever take traffic safety seriously, and actually stop talking and take some form of action? One can only hope. It is horrific to see people killed in this manner. The families no doubt are devastated, and mourning their losses at this moment. Their families will never be the same after this tragedy.

Until traffic safety is taught, and traffic law enforcement is taken seriously, enforced, and maintained, nothing will ever change. Thailand appears headed toward the number one spot. Not a distinction one would pursue willingly. And yet? Eventually the police will have to be trained, and properly equipped to enforce the law, and take public safety seriously. Will it happen in our lifetimes? One can only guess. I hope it does.

On the many road trips I have taken around Thailand, the only time I have EVER seen a highway patrol car was AFTER a serious accident. The rest of the time they are no where to be seen. Where are they? Why are they not citing people for reckless driving, drunk driving, driving without seat belts, illegal lane changes, and other dangerous moves one sees every day on the roads here? Wy is the government not investing in traffic safety, and beefing up the highway patrol?

Let's try and get something positive out of yet another tragedy as around this time next month we will be comforted and reassured by the annual BS exercise when the govt announces all the spectacular measures they will employ to reduce traffic fatalities etc over the Songkran holiday.

As usual nothing much, except lots of talking, will be done, the figures will remain horrendous and it can all be forgotten about again until December.

roadworks and they were both speeding, one would expect lights to warn drivers of roadworks but they stopped using them in Thailand as many were stolen by people, was very surprised when I was informed of this by my wife. Usually safety lights are mandatory at road works but thefts have stopped this here, the fact that many roads do not have lights of a night doesnt help either but in this case you can bet speed/alcohol played a major part as well.

They recently resurfaced the main Sukhumvit road near to where I live, the street lights where deliberately turned off

A good driver always drives according to the road conditions at the time. He is aware of what is coming up in front and also what is behind him. If it is raining he slows down so that he can stop if the unexpected occurs. He uses his mirrors often. If it is dark, drive within headlight vision. If there seem to be roadworks or poor surface, slow down.

It is usually people who are not driving within stopping capability that end up in accidents/incidents like this.

Exactly. We use the term "overdriving your headlights".

"Overdriving your headlights. You are overdriving your headlights when you go so fast that your stopping distance is farther than you can see with your headlights. This is a dangerous thing to do, because you may not give yourself enough room to make a safe stop." LINK

Very sad. But weird reporting: "the pickup..lost control"...the suzuki "is thought not to have seen" No drivers then? I get pleasure from driving around Thailand: good roads, little traffic in many places; reminds me of the 1950's when "going for a drive" was a "leisure activity"! But my pleasure is always tempered by a permanent terror that I will surely encounter a lunatic. My family are not allowed on buses, minivans, in the back of pickups, nor to ride pillion on motorbikes. No laws, fines, prison sentences, police are going to solve the problem. A huge shift in national thinking required. Some chance.

Simple economics when you have 8 people to move and only enough money to buy 1 vehicle with 3 seats, that also has to serve double duty hauling goods on occasion.

Somewhere, there's a billionaire wondering how any of us can drive ourselves in our unarmored vehicles; why we don't hire a retired SAS driver for our armored limousine like he does for his loved ones. We must be idiots, or maybe we don't love our families?

People generally get all the safety they can afford. That's the world over.

Exactly. We use the term "overdriving your headlights".

"Overdriving your headlights. You are overdriving your headlights when you go so fast that your stopping distance is farther than you can see with your headlights. This is a dangerous thing to do, because you may not give yourself enough room to make a safe stop." LINK

How does this work if you haven't put your lights on or they aren't working, never seems to be a major problem for many Thai drivers.

This is a problem in any country like Thailand, fines should be income based, if no money available then confiscate the vehicle or restrict it's use for only essential transport. Jail achieves nothing for the lower income earners, it only increases hardship on families etc. Now for the well to do high earners, jail is a real option as is very high fines.

Had a good friend and next door neighbor that was a long time Idaho state trooper. He stated that based on his experience, more than 50% of the folks driving after 10 PM are going to be legally intoxicated. Percentages are likely higher at 1:40 AM leaving a Karoke bar in Thailand.

Does anyone have a link to this ''fact''. I've only ever read it on TV and it has been repeated so many times that I have also stated it as a fact to others, but I do wonder where the original proof is.

I wasn't at the karaoke bar when these people were there.

I don't know the deceased.

I don't know if they were drinking.

I know that I don't know any more than what I have read.

I do know that eight people are dead and it's a very sad thing.

Think, Think, Think.

Indeed...can you also help me convine my wife that I went to the strip club for lunch but didn't look at boobs :rolleyes:

Had a good friend and next door neighbor that was a long time Idaho state trooper. He stated that based on his experience, more than 50% of the folks driving after 10 PM are going to be legally intoxicated. Percentages are likely higher at 1:40 AM leaving a Karoke bar in Thailand.

And when is the last time you have heard of a driver having his car taken away, due to the fact that he was too drunk to drive? Or even given a large fine for DOI?

The lack of regard for the safety of the general public here, on the part of the officials is astonishing. Combine that with their indifference, an extreme lack of policing, with regard to traffic safety, and a daredevil attitude on the part of many Thai male drivers, and you have a potent cocktail that results in alot of unnecessary injuries and deaths.

What blows my mind is, when I see a father driving with the entire family on board, and he is behaving in as careless a manner as possible, making moves that any sane person would not consider, at speeds in excess of 100 KPH. Why take those kinds of chances?

And would you drive in the back of a pickup truck at very high speeds, for any distance? Especially when the driver is not driving carefully and cautiously?

The extreme apathy, indifference, and lack of concern on the part of the government continues unabated. Will anything ever change? Will the grown children in charge ever take traffic safety seriously, and actually stop talking and take some form of action? One can only hope. It is horrific to see people killed in this manner. The families no doubt are devastated, and mourning their losses at this moment. Their families will never be the same after this tragedy.

Until traffic safety is taught, and traffic law enforcement is taken seriously, enforced, and maintained, nothing will ever change. Thailand appears headed toward the number one spot. Not a distinction one would pursue willingly. And yet? Eventually the police will have to be trained, and properly equipped to enforce the law, and take public safety seriously. Will it happen in our lifetimes? One can only guess. I hope it does.

On the many road trips I have taken around Thailand, the only time I have EVER seen a highway patrol car was AFTER a serious accident. The rest of the time they are no where to be seen. Where are they? Why are they not citing people for reckless driving, drunk driving, driving without seat belts, illegal lane changes, and other dangerous moves one sees every day on the roads here? Wy is the government not investing in traffic safety, and beefing up the highway patrol?

The only time i see them in chiang mai is either shaking down large trucks or escorting VIPs or buses full of Chinese. not doing there job!