Man in Hospital After Suffering Injuries in Pattaya Jail

snoop1130

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the whole point here is that in any civilised country the police would have some responsibility of care for persons being detained, l realise that is a joke here.

Whether the person detained is guilty of overstay or not is really not the issue.

People get the crap beatten out of them and even killed in jails around the world including those in "civilized countries".

Some folks just do not know how to act appropriately with police or in jails.

Lack of wisdom in dealing with malfeasants is not the issue here.

The issue is the malfeasance itself.

It is possible the police were led to believe a group of farangs playing cards were gambling—that is against the law—and the only law the police could prove was broken was the number of decks of cards allowed. However, after finding out it was only blue hairs playing bridge, rather than lose face, the police had to seek some form of closure—and they did.

Err, they could've just said ok carry on, and walked out. It wouldn't have made the news, or if it did they could just say they thought gambling was going on, but of course Bridge is fine. No one need lose face. 'Closure' is for domestic arguments and broken relationships not law enforcement.

How does my believing overstay hurts us all make me high and mighty and self-righteous? Especially since overstay laws are now more strict for us all—had fewer ne’re do wells gone on overstay, the rules may have stayed the same.

Or the new rules could've still been implemented even if less people had gone on overstay. Like the many other rules that were implemented under the junta, that had nothing to do with us, in other areas like foreign investment.

Maybe the number of overstayers in % terms didn't even rise, we don't know, we aren't privy to the statistics.

Oviously It's more tho the case here than we know of.
My best guess is that the man was drunk when he was put in the cell and started shouting at the officers or something.

A friend had a similar situation happening when he was put in the cell after acting stupid in Jomtien.
He was drunk ofc. What happened was: He had a plan to go to 7/11 to buy a beer. Entered the shop and got his beer but since it was high season it was a big line according to him.
He saw no problem to go outside the shop to start drinking the beer while waiting for the line to disappear.....
Of course the staff saw it a little different than him and the police came and put him in the cell.
He woke up the next day ( still drunk i guess) and wanted some water. Of course he didn't get water It's not how it works here.
Then he started to shout and make a lot of noise for some minutes. I guess the officers got tired of his rude behaviour and wanted to make him shut up so they came and beat up his feets whit batons untill he got unconscious. Most of his nerves under the feets got damaged and he will have problem with that for the rest of his life.
He can only blame himself but It wouldnt have happened if he stayed calm.
We must understand that we have no rights and thats why we must do everything in our power to not have to deal with the police here. Everyone knows they are dangerous and should be avoided.

But I feel bad for the guy if his only crime was a overstaying his visa. Maybe they want to make a example what will happen to others before the big "overstay crackdown" to scare them back home.

The 'fifth Jomtien' where he was arrested is next door to Immigration. It says he was arrested in the early hours of the morning. My guess is he was at one of the bars opposite (after hrs) and possibly playing up..Immigration are in and out of there at all hours. Odd he was picked up there.

This is tragic, this poor guys only offence is not leaving the country, he didn't harm anybody. Whatt happened to this guy must be dream come true for people who vilify fellow foreigners who over stay. Visa sub forum here is full of posters calling for harsh punishment for foreigners who have over stayd, a very minor, victimless offence.

Lets put your allegation to the test, shall we ?
Who on this form feels that over stayers deserve to have violence inflicted upon them ?
Whitemouse says that this forum is full of people who dream about this kind of thing .
Is he correct or is he just being abusive about forum posters without reason ?

Whitemouse is correct. This forum is stuffed full of people who will see this as " He got what he deserved "
I class it the same as riding a motorcycle without a license or helmet
That said I don't believe the police would inflict such violence simply for being on overstay and would hazard a guess he decided to not come quietly shall we say

If the French guy did actually become violent, which is a distinct possibility, then , it would be correct to say that he got what he deserves, or at least it was his own fault .
But that isnt what Whitemouse said . He said that many TV members would be in favour of the Police physically attacking over stayers , which I believe to be incorrect .
Having harsher punishment for overstayers may be of the opinion of some, but I have yet to read anyone who is in favour of violent attacks carried out by the Police

Why would the Frenchman even need to become "violent" All he would have to do is say something perceived as an insult.....

Have you never heard of Thai police waving their guns, firing at people they don't like, or running them over repeatedly with a car?
Have you never heard of an occasion when a Thai male has beaten or hacked someone to death for a perceived insult?

Yeah, sure I have. Police and other Thai males, shoot and hack people to death, drive over them in cars, EVERY day in Thailand, but it goes unreported, unless you have your ear to the ground as I do. Wink!!

How does my believing overstay hurts us all make me high and mighty and self-righteous? Especially since overstay laws are now more strict for us all—had fewer ne’re do wells gone on overstay, the rules may have stayed the same.

Or the new rules could've still been implemented even if less people had gone on overstay. Like the many other rules that were implemented under the junta, that had nothing to do with us, in other areas like foreign investment.

Maybe the number of overstayers in % terms didn't even rise, we don't know, we aren't privy to the statistics.

Off topic but as you never miss an opportunity to spin your propaganda.......

It is very likely that the % of overstayers based on visitor numbers goes down each year but the number of overstayers has increased. 70K + overstayers are reported for 2014 and 30K + for the first 6 months of 2015. It's the number of overstayers that matters, not the %, and it seems 70K + is too many.

The bans were proposed by immigration (not the government) shortly after the coup and I doubt very much if the bans were sponsored by the Junta as I doubt overstayers were top of the Generals to do list at that time. Plus it will be nearly two years after being proposed that they will come in to force, and if the Junta were behind it they would have brought them in far sooner.

as with all thai visa reports, you never read the outcome of the story, so what happened to this man? as 3365 says, its all a big mess this visa situation, the immigration keeps it that way because its a muti million bht operation for them.

as with all thai visa reports, you never read the outcome of the story, so what happened to this man? as 3365 says, its all a big mess this visa situation, the immigration keeps it that way because its a muti million bht operation for them.

The Visa situation in Thailand is quite simple andthis guy didnt have any problems because of his Visa , he had problems because he DISNT get a visa .

Its a big mess for him because he didnt bother getting a visa and over stayed

at Pattaya police station the police very rarely enter the cells, instead they have a group of long term prison stayers that keep order in the cells and organize if people want to buy out or buy drugs that the police supply, some of them are particularly nasty characters and on yabba and if there was a beating in the cells it was most likely them rather then the police

Do prisoners stay long term in Police stations ?

I thought that prisoners just stayed in police cells until they are either released or sent to prison .

Are you saying that Pattaye Police supply yabba to inmates ?

What are you basing this accusation on ?

Let's hope he recovers and can explain what happened.

He will probably be going to ICU and straight from ICO to IDC and from IDC to DMK and from DMK to CDG

You think that will stop him from explaining things?

I suppose that his mates down the pub back home will be interested in how he got back home , but thats about all .