Beggars will need licenses under a new begging law

rooster59

The role of government is to justify and enlarge itself into as many facets of everyday life. Not just here, I might add.

Another sign of micromanagement. I will leave you to do your own reading on that one. Not a sign of a healthy economy or government system.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what of the trafficked beggars? Their sad situation legalized by the Thai government?

Perhaps the government should first figure out if they are begging of their own free will or not, otherwise, this will turn into a brothel like situation where their handlers will legally put them on the streets, which in turn will cause more people to be trafficked and turned into beggars.

May I be the first to say this is a horrible idea. Help them, don't enable them.

Quite right! mothers of babies wait in the background while their babies beg, they then take the money and by alcohol/ drugs.

Penalties should be toughened for the criminals that maim people in order to make them their beggar slaves.

The others shoud be helped off the streets and the mothers of babies put through rehab while their babies are looked after, sadly I met a german lady the othe day who has adopted 2 young girls as the mothers were hopeless drug addicts, a hard problem to solve but good on her, shame on the state, there has been a poor man crawling around BK face down with no feet and only one hand with which he holds a cup, he is filthy black most times and he has been around 15 years that I know off, why hasn't the authorities helped this man alone???? sad.

does this include "one drink for me pleeease"

No, that's is a small but over time significant contribution to the rural economy of North Eastern Thailand.

Besides, it's not really begging. In return you should receive an (in my case) extremely flattering analysis of your degree of handsomeness (?) and hopefully a wildly inaccurate underestimate of your age!

In that case, I will continue contributing to the continued development of the north east ......... like the young rock star that I am guitar.gif

Did I hear that Buddhist monasteries throughout Thailand are volunteering to help and rehabilitate their fellow citizens who have fallen on hard times? whistling.gif

Or do I have a sick and cynical mind? sad.png

A while back I was sitting chatting with a Thai friend at his open air tour office when a beggar, spotting a farang (me) approached with his had out. My friend told him 'If you have nothing the nearest wat will feed you' the beggar replied 'I'm not religious' my friend said 'Ok, not religious but definitely mad!' laugh.png The guy shuffled off crestfallen ..

Edited by dageurreotype

I recently read a report concerning child beggars, about how they are kidnapped or trafficked and then forced to beg, no doubt under threats of violence etc.

I can only see that legalising this activity will lead to these gangs' operations effectively becoming legal, or will the Govt rescue those that need rescuing? I hope there is no possibility of graft.

Again, I think it is ridiculous to issue these cards. At the same time I can see the logic of it too. It should be applied to monks also.

Pretending to be a monk is an offence in Thailand.

As to the concept of licensed beggars, such have existed in both England and Scotland.

Easier to do that, I suppose, than to overhaul the education system, ensure all kids attend school, regenerate the jobs market, diversify farming, etc.

'The law also introduces penalties against people who force, intimidate or encourage others to beg for their benefits.' Sufficiently severe and properly enforced against those who put kids on the streets? I shan't be holding my breath.