Ban on public smoking approved

geovalin

The Council of Ministers yesterday approved a sub-decree prohibiting smoking or tobacco usage in public places and put in place fines for offending individuals and businesses.

The sub-decree, which comes 11 months after the law on tobacco control was passed by the National Assembly, bans the consumption of tobacco products at the workplace and public areas, such as restaurants, hotels and public transport.

Individuals found violating this ban will face a fine of 20,000 riel ($5), whereas establishments will have to cough up 50,000 riel ($12.50) if they fail to put up no smoking signs or are caught providing customers with ashtrays.

read more: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ban-public-smoking-approved

Tobacco or other smoking objects?? You can't see thru the 'Heart of Darkness' bar because of the smoke, walk in to use the bathroom sober and come out high as a kite, and not drink or smoke anything.

Fortunately, S.E. Asia is still 20 - 30 years behind the U.S.A. and Western Europe in morphing into the overreaching Police-State that they have become. Soon, there will be a considerable fine for "farting-sideways" as well. Helluva revenue generating source when you pass so many laws that the average person has committed multiple misdemeanor crimes every time they step out of their front door!

Fortunately, S.E. Asia is still 20 - 30 years behind the U.S.A. and Western Europe in morphing into the overreaching Police-State that they have become. Soon, there will be a considerable fine for "farting-sideways" as well. Helluva revenue generating source when you pass so many laws that the average person has committed multiple misdemeanor crimes every time they step out of their front door!

Lol......couldn't agree more

A very welcome step in the right direction. If in the privacy of your own home you want to slowly kill yourself by intentionally ingesting such poison as cigarettes, then I only hope your death is a not a painful, lingering one for you.

But I absolutely do NOT appreciate it when your second-hand smoke give me cancer or emphysema

Call me crazy, but I actually enjoy being healthy and strong, not out of breath after walking 50 metres......

You're Welcome!! smile.png