What would you like in Chiang Mai, Thailand ?

TONGFANGKIM

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you could look at interior design magazines from the West and see what is important. Also maybe the kitchen would be a little different because of different food preferences.

I know in America where I live we like the number of bathrooms to at lease equal the number of bedrooms. Plus a "powder room" for guests. Each child has their own room and the parents sleep in one,

I like an openness to the house where nature feels a part of your life.

To answer the young lady's question...

1. Safety:

3 phase electricity;

Special breakers for wet areas (not sure how they are called);

Hand rails on balconies and terraces that are high enough not to fall over and designed so that a child's head can't get stuck inside

2. Practical:

Enough electricity outlets (where they are needed, not just remotely placed);

More storage space inside the house and outside (as already mentioned);

If designing small bathrooms, why put the wet area in front of the toilet (you always need to walk through the water, if you or another person wants to reach the toilet;

More integration of natural climate control (i.e. roof/ceiling ventilation, adjustable shades, cross ventilation, better insulation concepts) and less fans/ACs;

More integration of renewable energy sources (solar and wind);

3. Design

As previously mentioned design beauty is in the eye of the beholder: different people, different taste;

Another comment also mentioned the Asian perception (not only a Thai perception) that all Westerners are the same or very similar. Let me give you an example: inside Thailand even if it is the same country, I am sure you will find that a person from Bangkok will have a different taste than somebody from Songkla, or from Udon Thani, or from Chiang Rai. Now imagine the difference between another country, which speaks another language and has a different culture and history (France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia) or even another continent (Europe, North America, Australia);

So what follows, is my taste as a half German/American:

No use of fluorescent "cold white light", that may be fine for a hospital or office, not for a comfortable house;

Open plan and well organized, so that every object inside the house has it's designated space - thus eliminating the storage of empty boxes in my living room

Natural materials;

Non-toxic paint;

Non-asbestos roof tiles, bricks and water pipes

Built-in (or better walk-in) closets and cabinets

High ceilings that allow for good circulation and allow a non-AC environment

Central warm water system (warm water at every faucet)

Separate toilet and washing/shower area

Extensive use of glass and open views to the outside

Privacy, privacy, privacy (that can't be said enough) from views into my property and house, as well as from noise pollution (Yes, we westerners call it pollution when it gets too much, just like air pollution in the burning season)

Nicely decorated and and cleanly kept garden with pool (length is important, so you can actually do some real swimming/exercise), that can be used as a tranquil retreat as well as for entertaining guests at daytime and evening

And I personally love rooftop areas that allow me a 360 degree view over the wonderful nature that Chiang Mai province has to offer

Finally to the OP:

I would be very interested to know the outcome of your research or even your project and hope you can share it. Thai is no problem...

With regards to living spaces, I can only put my ฿2 in regarding condo interiors and what I would like to see.

Kitchens:

Larger, more user friendly "western" (whatever that means) kitchens. A proper four burner cooktop (gas would be nice) and an oven. A full size frost free refrigerator/freezer and not something that looks as if it should be in a college dorm room. A dishwasher (the mechanical kind, not the Burmese kind) A large, preferably dual sink (with hot water) and enough counter space to prep a large meal.

Bathrooms:

Hot water in the sinks...not just the shower.

Living Rooms:

more room. The television in some of these so called "one bedrooms" is practically in your lap while sitting on the sofa.

Bedroom:

To big compared to the living room. I would prefer more space in the living/dining/kitchen areas vs bedroom/bathrooms.

And finally..enough of the 24" white floor tiles already. And fake wood laminate isn't much of an upgrade.

I am a woman, an Aussie and I wouldnt be in CM if I didnt like it..I love the laid back easy life style and that is exactly what I would want to see in my

"thailand" house. The outside inside...a mixture of western/asian, a calm, cool area, with a splash of colour.

Thankyou for asking and I wish you all the best with your project.

Reading the replies, I think that the OP needs to realize that all the "fluff" that goes with so much Thai architecture doesn't fix the basic design flaws that are rampant throughout the basic designs...from modest dwellings up to luxury digs. Reading some of the other people's comments makes me more aware of many of the shortcomings such as the bathrooms with wet floors, fluorescent lighting, clothes washers in the kitchen, insufficient electrical outlets etc etc. These should be addressed before all the artsy design stuff (which is also important). Form follows function

I would like to see no further huge signage put up around the city. In fact I would like to see a lot of the existing huge signs removed. The city is beautiful with the mountains and the city is being destroyed visually with huge unnecessary signage everywhere. This is not only a blot on the landscape but also is distracting to drivers and blocking their vision. Some thought needs to go into rectifying this or Chiang Mai will just become another Bangkok and lose its total character .......so sad to see what the local officials are doing to the City.

Open plan with double-glazed glass walls that open out onto the garden/pool.

All other windows double glazed to ensure the AC isn't trying to cool the whole of Chiang Mai down, to cut down on noise and to stop dust invading the house.

'Flat', lightweight metal roof with large 2m+ overhangs to aid with insulation and prevent sun warming the walls of the house.

Cavity walls/high performance blocks should only be used.

Tiling should be level, grout cleaned off the tiles before it sets hard and someone with eyes that work should choose all house finishes.

Interior layout should be efficient and not have large areas lost to poorly laid out rooms or an unnecessary second staircase.

Ensure there is enough storage space for modern living.

Ensure the site is termite proofed and the system is easy to maintain/use.

'Plumbers' should understand that water doesn't flow uphill.

'Electricians' should understand that earthing/grounding is essential on everything, not just the socket circuits. Also, twisting wires together and covering with insulation tape isn't a correct procedure.

Rooms need more than 2 plug sockets.

Paint should be on the walls not the floor - use a dustsheet.

Any large trees on site to be left alone and not cut down where possible and only trimmed by someone who knows what they're doing.

The house should not be built right at the front of the plot near the road.

To Tongfangkim- your English, is not perfect, but it is very good. There are some good ideas above, already.

To the other posters- I don't think she really wants to hear about immigration, farang grievances with Thai law etc., She is a second year uni student, not the government.

I want to join here :)

First i want to say that i personally like thai style house, even i mostly stayed in condos here.

But if you want to build western style , the first very important thing is construction materials. Don´t use cheap materials that will break after 5 years. Use good quality materials , so even in 20 years everything still works.

Good quality cement , bricks , water pipes, fittings etc.

It´s better to spend more money when you build the house , so you don´t have to fix everything all the time. It will be more expensive in the long run.

Electric wiring, plugs and outlets have to be the best you can get, and put plenty of outlets in all rooms !! Do not try to save money and buy the cheap !!

As for furniture , we all like different things. For me the most important is the sofa - it needs to be with chaiselong , i love it :)http://intense-mobiliario.com/img/p/9263-35372-thickbox.jpg

In the garden there should be a lawn , some kind of water fountain (the sound of running water is nice) , and some poles or trees whith hammocks attached (there should also be a system/umbrella so we can choose to have sun or shade in our hammocks!) , and of course a terrasse are for eating with a nice barbeque! https://www.homify.de/ideenbuecher/436682/in-nur-6-schritten-kannst-du-deinen-eigenen-steinofen-bauen

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/60/0e/bb/600ebb77fa85c08ac4036095a862f848.jpg

http://blog.mozaico.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/34.jpg

Thats a few ideas anyway

And happy Shivaratri to all :)

For me, part of living in Thailand is to be in a tropical environment - and I would want that taken advantage of both inside and outside my home.

I think landscaping is important. I understand this creates a problem as land is not easily found inside a city, so, whatever can be done to bring some nature even into the house would be nice. Patios. Small garden areas.

Good luck with your project.

I'm a normal 6 ft farang...

I enjoy spending time in my kitchen

I don't enjoy a kitchen work bench designed for a 4ft something Thai...

I was just shaving and thought of this thread..

The bathroom counter must be at 70cm.. And then the sink is embedded 'under' the counter.. The sink plug is honestly only just above my knees.

Open space living ( no ugly posts, lets use RSJ, quicker to erect )

A lot more socket outlets, modern lighting, Decent water pressure

Fully wired for internet, home security, and internet of everything

One bathroom per bedroom, separate his and her sinks

Walk in wardrobes

minimum 30 metres squared per bedroom

50 metres squared lounge

Small underground cellar ( wine and safe) with secret entrance)

Western kitchen, fully integrated

Solid wood or marble floors

Drainage which is efficient

Roof top space, with sunshades

double garage

Store room and a workshop

Double or even triple glazed

reverse air-cons which can be heaters

bi-folding doors to the pool, barbecue gazebo Jacuzzi, pizza oven and smoker

Walled off garden, outside tap

Vegetable patch ( small but sufficient raised beds for herbs, tomato's etc)

A reclining sun shade over the patio ( electric)

Minimalist furniture, preferably Italian modern

And finally everything square, no funny shapes please, I cant stand them

Edited by KNJ

1. Safety:

3 phase electricity;

2. Practical:

3. Design

I agree that this is what Thai designers need to know about what Westerners want in a house. From my own experience and preferences, and in helping others to retire here, I'd say that in general:

• safety is definitely an important issue: safe electrical installations with earth and RCBOs, sturdy railings on stairs and upper floors, etc.
  • a sense of space and natural light is one of the main reasons we come to Thailand (most of us are escaping the dark, dingy, wet, cold existence in our home country) - designs should have clean lines, no fiddly, ornate decorative elements which Thais seem to like so much.
  • economic (cheap and convenient to run and maintain), a way of have air-conditioning or cool air or natural air flow (without aircon) without a huge electricity bill each month - the other main reason why we come to Thailand (Chiang Mai in particular) is because of the cheaper cost of living!
  • mosquito and insect free - we want to be able to open the doors and windows but keep out the mosquitoes and flies and ants and mice and geckos (from getting into the microwave or other electrical appliances).
  • a feeling of being outdoors or having easy (and visible) access to the outside, not tiny balconies that you can't sit in: the weather allows us to enjoy nature and plants and sunlight, but we can't deal with the heat (and mosquitoes), so the design should allow us to have a nice outdoor space and a nice green view but still stay cool and dry (so lots of roofing and mosquito netting without blocking the view or feeling dark and claustrophobic).
  • we don't like cheap, shoddy sub-standard construction - even though we want to save money and live economically, a cheaply-built house is expensive and inconvenient in the long term because of all the repairs and maintenance required later on... always use standard, high quality materials in the design and construction (it doesn't have to be top quality and expensive like marble or teak wood, but everything should be a minimum standard). For example, electrical cabling should be the proper standard and tubing should be used, not just wires nailed to the walls, the plumbing should use thick PVC or copper where necessary, the concrete should be a high grade mixture, the door and window frames should be good quality aluminum or steel, not PVC, the doors should be solid wood or plastwood or conwood (not hollow PVC or ply-wood), etc.
  • convenience (as mentioned before) - lots of plug outlets and switches, lots of built-in storage, easy to navigate, no "dead" spaces.

That's my theory, anyway smile.png

Thank you for an interesting question.

I came to Chiang Mai because I wanted a different and easier lifestyle after I had sold my business in the UK. My ex-Thai wife also wanted to return to "pursue her career". As a cyclist I wanted to be able to ride everyday without the cold weather. I also wanted to start coaching young Thais (girls and boys) which I have been doing at the Chiang Mai 700 stadium. Chiang Mai is the perfect area for cycling.

In terms of housing, yes it is difficult for a foreigner to own a house. This is a very bad aspect of Thailand. However, I do own my home and it is in an upscale 'moo baan' (village) on the edge of the city. In terms of design:

The houses in Chiang Mai could benefit from having double-skin walls with insulation to keep the coolness in and the heat out. The houses in general are not designed for the hot weather that we experience here. As a consequence resources are wasted in air-con usage. This would be not necessary if the houses were built with insulation. In many areas the houses are built too close together so that this blocks the natural light flowing into homes.

The lack of planning regulations (and enforcement) here in Chiang Mai does not help. You may have a nice house and suddenly someone builds a huge condo block right on your property which could change the entire aspect of your every day life. Road planning lacks a lot of forethought and proper design: so if you ahve a new area with some roads built for that area, then once in use you see plastic bollards and other devices used to redirect traffic. The new Premium Outlet Mall at Kad Farang is a prime example.

Lastly, there is a lack of environmental planning. Many areas, such as Nimmanheiman and the city moat in general could benefit from a huge and professional replanning of the urban landscape. Around the moat it is disappointing to see an increasing number of older buildings replaced by soulless condo blocks, large hotels and so on. Slowly this city loses it's character, which is very sad.

I hope this helps. PM me if you want more.

Many Farang like to exercise indoors with aircon.

Some Farang like to have a "Home Cinema Room", a large area only used occasionally for relaxation.

Many like an "Office"

Some hate WiFi and would rather have RJ45 connections built in. Remember that one standard cable can carry two services connections if correctly wired.

We hate mosquitoes.

I would like an area of the garden to be fitted with high pressure sprayed evaporating water (as we have in Spain) - outside aircon!

I want an outside, private area to sunbathe.

Outside, secure storage area for pressure washer, garden equipment, garden furniture for when we go away for months at a time and also that it is not left out day and night to be destroyed by the sun.

Reliable garden watering systems that fail safe, again for automatic use when we are away.

We love visiting CM and do so every year but we notice many leave for the burning season and that's not good.

Maybe the outside aircon could help?

I forgot to mention:

Proper cavity walls with insulation and air bricks.

Sun shades over the windows.

Security and mosquito nets (easily cleaned) on all external windows.

I wish I could read and write Thai as "badly" as your excellent English! Well done, I think you will go far.

To the poster who refers to the title of this thread - Grow up and get a Life!

As Thumper said:- If you can't say somethin' nice, say nuthin at all!

Bambi

Edited by laislica

Please stop apologizing about your English its OK and it will get better. We are an understanding lot and patient at times such as this. We need a mass transit system here in the worst way. I live off of a main street and the traffic gridlock at times is horrific and will only get worse with Chiang Mai's unregulated expansion. We need a more visible police presence around the clock not just at helmet check points during the day. Planning should be done before a problem arises not vise versa. As long as we stay tied to the taxi mafia nothing will change. Smaller cities Phitsanulok comes to mind have a decent bus service and the taxi's have fare boards quoting their rates just off of the main bus station. Here it is like the wild wild west. Also Bangkok needs to understand there is more to Thailand than just Bangkok. Spread the money around.

Edited by elgordo38

I congratulate you for asking people for their ideas, it isn't as common as it should be. Not sure if this applies to specific field of study but I would like to see a series of park and ride facilities to the north, south and east. I would love to leave my pickup truck near my home and ride into the city.

oh yes , good idea !

Car free street ,

and ride with my horse to the city !!

Prefer a shopping complex with free -

means free space and no payments -

as I do it also in Europe in each developed city and shopping center;

In Eu - last 2 years I didn't have to pay for any parking when shopping !!

Please stop apologizing about your English its OK and it will get better. We are an understanding lot and patient at times such as this. We need a mass transit system here in the worst way. I live off of a main street and the traffic gridlock at times is horrific and will only get worse with Chiang Mai's unregulated expansion. We need a more visible police presence around the clock not just at helmet check points during the day. Planning should be done before a problem arises not vise versa. As long as we stay tied to the taxi mafia nothing will change. Smaller cities Phitsanulok comes to mind have a decent bus service and the taxi's have fare boards quoting their rates just off of the main bus station. Here it is like the wild wild west. Also Bangkok needs to understand there is more to Thailand than just Bangkok. Spread the money around.

Bangkok understands ,

and should shut down al slams in Thailand !

Er, to elderado, the young woman has explained that her English is not so good. No offence, but you should try to simplify your post. I can gaurentee you she will not understand it. A lot of big words in there and phrases that she will not understand.

Best to keep it simple when explaining things. Point form, and leave out phrases like "around the clock" " understanding lot" etc.

I have been living in Thailand for over two years, the past 16 months of it in ChiangMai, and like thousands of Farangs here, I love it. Just since I have been here I have witnessed incredibly building development. There are condos and hotels going up in every soi in Nimmenhaemin, There are residential estates blossoming all around town, and the standards are high. However, I find it disturbing that the architecture is little different from what is being built in Sydney or California - lots of windows, an absence of natural shade areas, a reliance on air conditioning, a car port that takes pride of place at the front, etc. As in Western countries the front gardens are completely useless for the enjoyment of the inhabitants - they are just something for passing motorists to look at.

Before it is too late there is a need for young creative Thais like you to develop designs that, while meeting all the requirements of modern living, incorporate traditional elements of Thai (and particularly Lanna) architecture. Use more timber, high ceilings and ceiling fans, recessed shady verandahs, open living areas, tropical gardens and fish ponds, walls around the property for privacy. It's not just Thailand that is losing its architectural identity - Australia is the same, and I guess this applies in many Western countries.

Thankyou for asking, your English is ok.

These have been mentioned before but I'll add them again.

Thick double walls for sound proofing.

Good insulation in the walls, roof & ceiling (warm in the winter, cool in the summer)

Big 1 meter overhangs on the roof to keep midday sun off the house.

Gutters on the roof to collect rain water.

Work surfaces 80-90 cm high for tall people.

Outdoor kitchen/Bbq area.

Strong secure windows & doors to keep thief out.

Lots of built in storage spaces.

More sound proofing.

Good luck

Two things that annoy me about many Thai houses - one is that as many rooms as possible are built under a roof, some without windows that open outside and two is the use of uprights in open areas rather than use beams as support allowing for a clear open area.

And I will add a third and that is small windows set high.

I hope this helps you and congratulations for having the initiative to ask.

All other windows double glazed to ensure the AC isn't trying to cool the whole of Chiang Mai down, to cut down on noise and to stop dust invading the house.

'Flat', lightweight metal roof with large 2m+ overhangs to aid with insulation and prevent sun warming the walls of the house.

Tiling should be level, grout cleaned off the tiles before it sets hard and someone with eyes that work should choose all house finishes.

Interior layout should be efficient and not have large areas lost to poorly laid out rooms or an unnecessary second staircase.

'Electricians' should understand that earthing/grounding is essential on everything, not just the socket circuits. Also, twisting wires together and covering with insulation tape isn't a correct procedure.

Any large trees on site to be left alone and not cut down where possible and only trimmed by someone who knows what they're doing.

Wow you say all .. to which I try not to pay attention, but that just irritates me every daythumbsup.gif

Wow you say all .. to which I try not to pay attention, but that just irritates me every daythumbsup.gif
That's good, right?