What would you like in Chiang Mai, Thailand ?

TONGFANGKIM

To answer the young lady's question...

1. Safety:

3 phase electricity;

Special breakers for wet areas (not sure how they are called);

Hand rails on balconies and terraces that are high enough not to fall over and designed so that a child's head can't get stuck inside

2. Practical:

Enough electricity outlets (where they are needed, not just remotely placed);

More storage space inside the house and outside (as already mentioned);

If designing small bathrooms, why put the wet area in front of the toilet (you always need to walk through the water, if you or another person wants to reach the toilet;

More integration of natural climate control (i.e. roof/ceiling ventilation, adjustable shades, cross ventilation, better insulation concepts) and less fans/ACs;

More integration of renewable energy sources (solar and wind);

3. Design

As previously mentioned design beauty is in the eye of the beholder: different people, different taste;

Another comment also mentioned the Asian perception (not only a Thai perception) that all Westerners are the same or very similar. Let me give you an example: inside Thailand even if it is the same country, I am sure you will find that a person from Bangkok will have a different taste than somebody from Songkla, or from Udon Thani, or from Chiang Rai. Now imagine the difference between another country, which speaks another language and has a different culture and history (France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia) or even another continent (Europe, North America, Australia);

So what follows, is my taste as a half German/American:

No use of fluorescent "cold white light", that may be fine for a hospital or office, not for a comfortable house;

Open plan and well organized, so that every object inside the house has it's designated space - thus eliminating the storage of empty boxes in my living room

Natural materials;

Non-toxic paint;

Non-asbestos roof tiles, bricks and water pipes

Built-in (or better walk-in) closets and cabinets

High ceilings that allow for good circulation and allow a non-AC environment

Central warm water system (warm water at every faucet)

Separate toilet and washing/shower area

Extensive use of glass and open views to the outside

Privacy, privacy, privacy (that can't be said enough) from views into my property and house, as well as from noise pollution (Yes, we westerners call it pollution when it gets too much, just like air pollution in the burning season)

Nicely decorated and and cleanly kept garden with pool (length is important, so you can actually do some real swimming/exercise), that can be used as a tranquil retreat as well as for entertaining guests at daytime and evening

And I personally love rooftop areas that allow me a 360 degree view over the wonderful nature that Chiang Mai province has to offer

Finally to the OP:

I would be very interested to know the outcome of your research or even your project and hope you can share it. Thai is no problem...

thank you :)
if i make my project i will show you .
Can you read Thai language?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many Farang like to exercise indoors with aircon.

Some Farang like to have a "Home Cinema Room", a large area only used occasionally for relaxation.

Many like an "Office"

Some hate WiFi and would rather have RJ45 connections built in. Remember that one standard cable can carry two services connections if correctly wired.

We hate mosquitoes.

I would like an area of the garden to be fitted with high pressure sprayed evaporating water (as we have in Spain) - outside aircon!

I want an outside, private area to sunbathe.

Outside, secure storage area for pressure washer, garden equipment, garden furniture for when we go away for months at a time and also that it is not left out day and night to be destroyed by the sun.

Reliable garden watering systems that fail safe, again for automatic use when we are away.

We love visiting CM and do so every year but we notice many leave for the burning season and that's not good.

Maybe the outside aircon could help?

I forgot to mention:

Proper cavity walls with insulation and air bricks.

Sun shades over the windows.

Security and mosquito nets (easily cleaned) on all external windows.

I wish I could read and write Thai as "badly" as your excellent English! Well done, I think you will go far.

To the poster who refers to the title of this thread - Grow up and get a Life!

As Thumper said:- If you can't say somethin' nice, say nuthin at all!

Bambi

thank you bambi :)

Yes, especially if you keep it simple and use words you'd use when talking with friends.

With more formal language like you see in newspapers and scientific reports I usually need a dictionary.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

So many asepcts of Northern Thai architecture do translate into a fusion of styles well..

Large overhang roof eves..

Nice decking / outdoor seating..

Tropical gardens.

Coffee 32 AKA Coffee hill on the Rd to pai managed to fuse, lovely wood, modern cement, re-using railway sleepers, and a nice garden to make a really lovely, and informal, space, at not a high build cost I would estimate.

I often think when building for myself I would try for similar.

Yes, especially if you keep it simple and use words you'd use when talking with friends.

With more formal language like you see in newspapers and scientific reports I usually need a dictionary.

I just started to read Thai.

Reading I found easy, only takes a few days to learn, but

understanding what I can read is another matter 555

To OP, (OP means; the Original Poster, the one who started the Topic {the Thread})

Now that you have found this forum, keep using it - your English will improve for sure!

Just a small thing.

Now you have a long list of many different possibilities for the custom design of a house.

Would you provide your clients with the list and ask them to Rank the items into two columns:

Must Have, and Would Like.

Then you could give a price based on the clients individual needs.

The client could adjust his "Wants" and "Must Have's" to fit into his budget.

I could see this as an App on iPad or Smart Phone....

It could have Maximum prices for each feature.

In this way the client can get a good idea of the maximum price for the design he would like.

If you are good at creating Apps, make it so the finished building can be viewed, even walked through.

Who knows, such an App could be sold to other Architects or builders.

Just thinking out loud.....

I get crazy ideas from time to time 555

I'm looking forward to a year from now when your project is completed.

Good Luck.

This has gone off-topic a while.

Anyways, I wish we had a better immigration office and less propaganda trucks.

I dont think its gone off topic at all..

The fact is the question "what would you like in Chaing Mai" is expanded in the later posts and means "what do you architecturally want in a home in Chaing Mai"

Not water parks, park and rides, or better immigration.. But kitchen design, outdoor spaces, etc..

Many of the same things on our lists, and here is a list of what seems to be the most common:

Safety, particularly with electricity and rails strong enough to stop us falling;

We spend a lot of time outdoors in garden or balcony;

Garden should have some sun areas and some shade areas;

Big windows from living area to garden area so it looks as if garden is part of room;

House and garden to be private from others;

Good ventilation so not using air conditioning all the time;

Ceiling Fans in all rooms;

No fluorescent lights in the house;

More electrical plugs/sockets, but not lots in the same place;

Higher benches and worktops;

More storage space, especially built in and hidden. Also, outside storage;

Outdoor kitchen and indoor kitchen;

Indoor kitchen is part of living area for many - if you understand, we say the kitchen is the heart of the home (this means the centre).

Open plan design with no beams in the middle of large rooms;

Good quality materials;

Good quality work;

No white floor tiles;

Floor tiles in bathrooms and outdoors should be non-slip;

Finishing of work is very, very important. All doors must close properly, no paint where it shouldn't be, windows should have no gaps.

Hopefully these replies will help you. Good luck with your project.