Tsunami scare prompts call for Phuket beachfront hotels to provide evacuation safe zones

rooster59

Tsunami scare prompts call for Phuket beachfront hotels to provide evacuation safe zones

The Phuket News

post-247607-0-01543800-1457178556_thumb.

A stern Governor Chamroen ordered officials to ink MoUs with Phuket beachfront hotels to provide evacuation safe zones by the end of the month. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: Following the tsunami scare triggered by the 7.9 Magnitude earthquake off Sumatra on Wednesday night, Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada is calling on all beachfront hotels to voluntarily provide emergency evacuation safe zones for all people in danger areas along Phuket’s coast.

“Before the end of this month, officials in all three districts will sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with beachfront hotels of four storeys or higher to use as emergency evacuation areas for tourists and residents in case of tsunami.” Governor Chamroen said on Thursday (Mar 3).

“We must be ready to handle natural disasters such as earthquakes and tsunamis at all times, not just when they happen,” Gov Chamroen said.

“The recent quake near Indonesia was about 1,463 kilometres from Phuket, which puts us at risk for any possible tsunami, so I want all our emergency stations to be on alert and examine their emergency equipment, especially the emergency warning system,” he added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/tsunami-scare-prompts-call-for-phuket-beachfront-hotels-to-provide-evacuation-safe-zones-56484.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-05

What a great idea! bah.gif

Dont get me wrong, i am not after to "bash" anyone, but seriously. how long is it since the last big tsunami? more than 10-15 years.?/

And they STILL have not managed to out anything in place? Pathetic is really the word....... and mostly busy saving the face.....

gigglem.gif

What a great idea! bah.gif

Dont get me wrong, i am not after to "bash" anyone, but seriously. how long is it since the last big tsunami? more than 10-15 years.?/

<snip>

Morning of 26 December 2004 - so 11 years and 2+ months. I remember it very well ...

DELETED

Perhaps the good governor should use his imagination a little. At the first mention of a tsunami, hotel guests are not going to assemble like sheep in a designated zone waiting quietly for some sane, sensible evacuation plan. They'll panic and will be FLEEING FAST AND FURIOUS for the hills alongside everyone else, including the hotel staff, police, district officials, vehicle drivers, soi dogs and almost certainly the governor himself.

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

It seems to me that a good deal of preparation was done after the last tsunami. At Koh Lak 6 years ago, there were signs along the beach and in town, (in English and Thai) directing people to high points in the event of a tsunami warning. There were also a few 'shelter points, along the beach, some 10 or 12 metres high. Not sure that's high enough.

Voluntary should be mandatory with no minimum number of building floors.

Furthermore, all beachfront hotels should conduct a certified (ie., witnessed by local authority) annual mock evacuation so its employees understand their roles and responsibilities. Failing proof of certification should result in the suspension of the hotel's occupancy license - no further guests allowed to stay until compliance.

Because it is very rare occurrence.

Yes it is a good idea for hotels to provide shelter.

It is a far better idea than the evacuation signs that have all rotted and fallen over and the towers that hardly ever worked and the buoys that the batteries ran out and took any eternity to replace

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

I can only say - TIT.

Sad really that it takes so long for any real action and plans to be put in place and be regularly tested and revised. Central government and local government need to take the lead assisted by the accommodation/tourist businesses. And do not forget to bring in overseas experts to advise (without requirement for work visas!). coffee1.gif

Typical Thai. No ability to plan. No ability to learn from the past. You'd think this would already be well thought out, documented, and implemented. coffee1.gif Guess not.

TIA: This Isn't America.

I can see the press releases after 'The Next Big One'. "We never saw this coming!"

Edited by connda