Wifes Salary Sufficient?

here we go again people trying sneak around the law, at the beginning i thought the wife have real job that pay her 40k a month and wanted to support the husband, now people are talking about pay their wife to get an easy way out.

Does this mean you can't legally hire a nurse, or driver, gardener, cook .... without having a work permit? Meaning you are legally required to hire them "under the blanket"??

Sunbelt, please tell me that can't be true!!!

We need to see it as they (maid, driver) are self-employed individuals, providing a service to a customer (you). They are self employed and they aren't working for you - they are working for themselves and they have you as a customer.

The problem with that is I believe the authorities will see them as "employees" and not a "self-employed" person because you (customer) are providing the working tools and you are imposing a schedule.

It raises the question of - can you have an employee that is providing personal services? I don't know. My comment is based out of this thread, where we discussed something similar.

Actually, I thought that a P.A, PERSONAL assistant would have to work for only one person......

I think that you are mistaken if you think that the person has to be self employed. You yourself said that the authorities would probably see that person as an employee anyway.

My income are from the sale of stocks and shares and as you know that is not taxable and can not be classified as income.

Anyone has a workable idea?

thanks

/t

here we go again people trying sneak around the law, at the beginning i thought the wife have real job that pay her 40k a month and wanted to support the husband, now people are talking about pay their wife to get an easy way out.

It is a fair assumption to say that if Immigration wants to see 40,000 THB monthly is because they want you, your wife - or the couple - to pay taxes in the Kingdom on a minimum of 40,000 THB of income per month.

Therefore, I don't see the problem of having one's wife to be self-employed and getting money from her husband. The bottom line remains: taxes are going to be remitted the same way as if she were working somewhere else.

This suggestion doesn't circumvent the new law's spirit.

My income are from the sale of stocks and shares and as you know that is not taxable and can not be classified as income.

Careful, when you say "the sale of stocks" - this means that you are having capital gains. Such gains - if remitted in Thailand in the same year they were gained - are subject to Thai taxes (at a rate that may be reduced by a DTA with the country where the gains arised).

Careful, when you say "the sale of stocks" - this means that you are having capital gains. Such gains - if remitted in Thailand in the same year they were gained - are subject to Thai taxes (at a rate that may be reduced by a DTA with the country where the gains arised).

... and foreign capital gains are as much an acceptable income as Thai salary --- even better if taxable in Thailand (less likely to be questioned).

... and foreign capital gains are as much an acceptable income as Thai salary --- even better if taxable in Thailand (less likely to be questioned).

Bought and sold on the Thai Stock Exchange (SET), not taxable.

@ Kudroz, how do you suggest one would go about employing the wife?

I am leaning towards the P.A since that is what she actually is. Or if I am her P.A :o

/t

I would tell my wife to register as self-employed and to provide consultancy services (or something quite "general). I would happen to be her only client, that's fine. I'd make sure to have a contract with her that stipulates she decides of her own schedule, provide her own working tools, etc.

Also, I would go get a opinion letter from a registered lawyer (Sunbelt, etc) that reviews my investor trading activities in Thailand and the participation of my wife as an independent contractor; and its implication with Thai taxation and labour laws.

I would tell my wife to register as self-employed and to provide consultancy services (or something quite "general). I would happen to be her only client, that's fine. I'd make sure to have a contract with her that stipulates she decides of her own schedule, provide her own working tools, etc.

Also, I would go get a opinion letter from a registered lawyer (Sunbelt, etc) that reviews my investor trading activities in Thailand and the participation of my wife as an independent contractor; and its implication with Thai taxation and labour laws.

Kudroz, thanks for your help, good advice.

I have gotten some professional advice now and it is all along the lines that you suggest.

Thanks again

/t