Small (hummingbird like) bird with red stripe on back ID

Nowisee

I'm trying to identify a small bird. It's hummingbird like in size and in that it's capable of short duration hovering and very fast twitchy movements, but does not have the typical long beak and does not seem to be feeding on flower nectar... if it is they are tiny flowers, but I can't see them. The tree has green bean pods of about 6-7".

It is a dark colored bird, almost black with a vibrant red stripe that runs from base of head to tail, about 1/4-2/3 it's width.

I've already done several google searches with various search criteria and looked at 100's of pictures.

lol

I just saw one of these last week. It flew straight onto the glass pane of our office. Your description is spot but I also remember seeing blue (on the wings? can't remember)

Tried to Google it as well but no luck.

Edit:

Ah nevermind. Found it. It's called Scarlet-backed flowerpecker

lol

I just saw one of these last week. It flew straight onto the glass pane of our office. Your description is spot but I also remember seeing blue (on the wings? can't remember)

Tried to Google it as well but no luck.

Edit:

Ah nevermind. Found it. It's called Scarlet-backed flowerpecker

the images are very very close and some of them look very similar, I will check again tomorrow or when I see it, but I don't think the stripe is on the head.

and the bird in the picture looks more like a finch, not at all what I am seeing.

Def not the bird in the last picture. I dried to get a picture with my point and shoot, but the flicker around and don't sit still longer than 1 sec... camera too slow to focus.

Watching them fly, their flight pattern/style is more like a finch than a hummer... and they are dark, almost black.

Archived