Birds in your garden

Thanks for input. I must admit looking at Robson I was confused hence the question on ID.

The photos are shot looking down from the first floor to the lawn on the same bird with Sigma 150-500 set at F8 450mm on a Canon 1000D body which only produces 10 mega pix photos. The lighting conditions were slightly different for each shot.

Shot in Raw and lightly processed in Lightroom(crop/sharpen). Saved as JPEGS

I'm pretty convinced at this point it's a Plain Prinia and a juv/sub adult. In addition to the points mentioned above, I found this in Round's "Birds of BKK Area" on Plain Prinia:

"...whitish tips to the tail feathers, least maked on the central pair."

On Juveniles: "The supercilium is more buffy and yellowish-tinged immediately above the eye."

Your center shot of the three (and the last shot to some degree) clearly shows yellow tinge just above the eye.

As always, prepared to be wrong here but pretty sure. And once again, get both Round guides. Really useful to have in addition to Robson. OK. Off birding I go.

• Like 2

I'm pretty convinced at this point it's a Plain Prinia and a juv/sub adult. In addition to the points mentioned above, I found this in Round's "Birds of BKK Area" on Plain Prinia:

On Juveniles: "The supercilium is more buffy and yellowish-tinged immediately above the eye."

Your center shot of the three (and the last shot to some degree) clearly shows yellow tinge just above the eye.

As always, prepared to be wrong here but pretty sure. And once again, get both Round guides. Really useful to have in addition to Robson. OK. Off birding I go.

On the subject of Phillip Rounds books any idea where to purchase? Amazon has some 2nd hand copies of his Birds of Thailand.

Asia Books is no help.

Does the "Birds of BKK Area" do what it suggests i.e just cover the Bangkok area only I live 350km North?

Appreciate some species will be common to both areas.

Edited by thetefldon

I think you're right, AN. I was a bit too quick on the draw!

We've all been quick on the draw. My main interest in even pursuing the ID was purely selfish! I don't have Brown Prinia on my list anywhere so wanted to know what to look for - or more precisely what I may have overlooked dozens of times - which led me to the reading which led me to the further discussion. And now I know what to look for and will maybe pay Prinia some more attention. Forums get a bad rap. Never met a bird forum I didn't learn from.

• Like 1

On the subject of Phillip Rounds books any idea where to purchase? Amazon has some 2nd hand copies of his Birds of Thailand.

Asia Books is no help.

Does the "Birds of BKK Area" do what it suggests i.e just cover the Bangkok area only I live 350km North?

Appreciate some species will be common to both areas.

Amazon also has B of BKK Area. 50 US. Well worth it and I would say that if you're anywhere in Thailand because of the extensive info on the birds it does cover... even though a lot are not covered. Here's a review that is pretty comprehensive: http://www.thaibirding.com/book_reviews/thebirdsofthebangkokarea.htm

he could only see them with binoculairs.

two birds walking together with long legs.

could have been a pair of tits,or did they have red breasts.

ooh arjen you are awful! but i like you.

Edited by meatboy
  • Like 1

Male Brown-throated Sunbird in the yard yesterday late afternoon/evening. Not a new yard bird but not one I see all that often. Very colorful and stunning bird but this photo does't really show that. Late day light and full 30x zoom on fixed lens superzoom. Supposed to be common enough in this area (Chonburi) but I've only seen a few in 4 plus years while I used to see it more regularly in Surin. This one has been around a while and I spotted a nest under construction but it's a flimsy hanging nest and one windy night later it was gone. Anyway, one to look out for in your yards/gardens.

post-91156-0-44160700-1464009953_thumb.j

• Like 2

These kingfishers are winter visitors with me, with occasional summer records. Yesterday one flew past me, and I was surprised to see it land in a ploughed field. I shouldn't have been surprised really, I suppose, because they feed mainly on large insects, small frogs, lizards etc, and not on fish.

Talking of colourful but common birds, I managed to get this photo about right of a White-throated Kingfisher. Rarely seen near water, happy hunting in fields etc.

You really should enter this awesome pic into one of the TV Photo Contests. Let us know if u do and we'll...I'll...and am sure others here will cast our "Like" votes. You can win something for this splendid shot!

The Prinias have definitely taken over the (poor) Dove nest on the ceiling of the patio as they are now making it a better nest.

This is bad news as 1) I've frequently seen Golden Tree snakes there and 2) I daren't go out on the patio for more than a few seconds sad.png .

Talking of colourful but common birds, I managed to get this photo about right of a White-throated Kingfisher. Rarely seen near water, happy hunting in fields etc.

You really should enter this awesome pic into one of the TV Photo Contests. Let us know if u do and we'll...I'll...and am sure others here will cast our "Like" votes. You can win something for this splendid shot!

Thanks for the comment. I quite like the pic too. The light and subject were just about right. A keeper for me, but putting things in perspective I would guess 99.5 percent of my bird shots are not keepers, ok for reference mind.

As for the suggestion of the TV monthly photo comp, I do occasionally enter, but bird photos, outside we enthusiasts, are probably seen as a bit geekish I guess smile.png

Yay! Finally added a new species to the yard list...Black Bittern. Brings the total up to 46. With the onset of the wet season have been getting more water bird/wading bird activity.

Couple other notes of interest... had an Asian Openbill perched atop one of the trees in my backyard yesterday and this morning and an Eclipse version of a male Olive-backed Sunbird. Nothing unusual about Openbill here...but as flyovers, not lit atop a tree in the big city!

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 2

A trio of Little Egrets flying by just now brings the BKK yard list to 47. With the addition of LIEG, which I expected long before now, further expected/easy additions getting more difficult.

Great bird...great pic! Range map for Hoopoe is listed as Common Resident pretty much Kingdom-wide with the only exceptions the extreme southern tip of the peninsula where it's normal range ends...and the Central Plains area where status shows Winter Visitor. Thinking your area...Petchabun...is considered part of the Central Plains.

• Like 1

Common Hoopoe: Surprise visitor this morning brings patch total to 49. I say surprise because I have never seen a Hoopoe this far north. Used to see them on reglar basis in Prachuap

Not a very good pic as bird was a long way away so heavily cropped. But ok for ID.

I've seen these nearby (within 100 metres), and they are so 'striking' that I've often wondered their name - so thank you thetefldon!

Any idea as to how I can attract them to my garden? What do they eat?

Working at home yesterday, there was a really loud bang at the window. Another bird flying in to the window but this one hit so loud I was sure it'd be dead (1 dead bird in 12 years but lots of bangs on the window). Little bird stayed in this position for a long time obviously dazed. Pleased to see it fly off 5 minutes later.

post-19652-0-74130200-1465654216_thumb.j

• Like 2

Usually have at least a couple of visits to my garden in Phuket during migration time.

They have even been seen in the UK.

Yes...Hoopoes have an extremely large range throughout Afro-Eurasia. The only one I've ever seen...and luckily photographed...was in Israel, where it is the National Bird.