Birds in your garden

Any thoughts on what this might be. Sorry not the best photograph.

Thought it might just be a female Plain Backed Sparrow but I have several pairs round the baan and its not quite right. Beak, slimmer body, head shape and some evidence of streaking near the eye.

Thanks as always.

post-59731-0-58386600-1466043885_thumb.j

• Like 2

Yep. Isanbirder may be right. Check the Robson descriptions of Juv. House and Female PB. Pretty similar. Illustrations seemed to suggest that female House is a "bit slimmer" than PB, but really difficult to say from pic. One or the other, though, no doubt. Where are you again?

• Like 2

Any thoughts on what this might be. Sorry not the best photograph.

Thought it might just be a female Plain Backed Sparrow but I have several pairs round the baan and its not quite right. Beak, slimmer body, head shape and some evidence of streaking near the eye.

Thanks as always.

This is a REALLY tough call. Unfortunately, I won't be able to cast a decisive vote either. That said...having seen a GA-ZILLION House Sparrows in the States, I think it looks more like a juvey House than a female Plain-backed. Plain-backed however are much more common throughout Thailand, so the big question is...have you ever had a confirmed HOSP in your area? Not saying that the answer will ID the bird in the picture...just curious, as AJN and I have discussed the commonness of HOSP in Thailand fairly recently. I have never seen one in The Kingdom, despite years of looking...though mostly, only in BKK.

That makes the bird a nemesis for me in Thailand , so for all of you who have seen HOSP in Thailand, please let me/us know where...and when and how frequently, if possible.

SkeptGEEK7 coffee1.gifcrazy.gif

• Like 1

House Sparrows are fairly widespread in Thailand nowadays. I saw my first just outside Mae Sot, then at Lomsak (bus station), and recently at many places in Buriram and Surin, including my own garden.... and they breed in Krasang for sure. Come to think of it, I saw some this morning, near Ban Chokrat.

In my last post, I asked whether Thetefidon had seen any in his area. A young bird presupposes adults!

• Like 2

Thanks on the "sparrow" from all concerned, much appreciated. Rather than answer each comment here is a composite answer of what was asked:

I live 12km North of Phetchabun(we ought to make a shared patch map on here so members can see the area we are talking about).

I have both Plain Backed and Eurasian Tree Sparrows in garden area, easy to identify males(less so females). As far as I can tell I have not seen any male/female House Sparrows.

The bird in the pic turns up infrequently in the garden and feeds on the ground(not observed aboreal feeding).

I intend to do some "Sparrow" photos over the next few days and let you guys confirm I have the right ID's.

Love this branch of the forum, thanks for all the input.

• Like 1

My experience from Surin was much in line with what books say. In and around houses and populated areas, mini-marts, inside the city, nesting in light fixtures, even just around my house which was in a very rural area, most common was Eurasian Tree and among them I would see small groups of House.

Away from populated areas, out in the paddies anywhere there were stands of trees, I would see Plain-backed and can't remember ever seeing House with Plain-backed, but may have and just can't remember. Would have to go back and review thousands of photos.

• Like 2

Think I have a new patch bird. I have only seen it twice(fleetingly) in the top of trees in my garden and only observed with naked eye!! Its small, fairly nondescript brown/cream colour but what attracted my eye was its bright red rump/vent.

I reckon it might be a female Red Avadavat since this is the only bird I can find that fits what I have seen.

Both Robson and Round seem to confirm my observations.

Anyone any thoughts( or other suggestions), seen one or even have a photo they have taken?

Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker female? Avadavats tend to be birds of rice fields and grasslands (I get them every autumn before the rice harvest).

Certainly possible. Thanks. I haven't really got a good look at the bird especially head and beak.

Just rescued a Black throated laughing thrush from my dog (the bird must have flew into our window). . Poor thing has all its tail missing and most of the feathers on its back and many on the wings. Luckly no bites... dog seems to like to pull out the feathers.

Got him in a big cage and he is hopping about.... but he can not fly.. so I can't release him until his feathers grow back.

I have no idea what they eat? Worms, fruit? Can anyone advise me what to feed it? I tried giving it some of the red mynah bird pellets from the supermarket.. but he wont' touch them.

Thanks.

Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker female? Avadavats tend to be birds of rice fields and grasslands (I get them every autumn before the rice harvest).

Certainly possible. Thanks. I haven't really got a good look at the bird especially head and beak.

Yep...could be either one having only fleeting glimpses. You're spot on about the head and bill...especially the bill. For those who don't know, key differences to look for in the bills...

Flowerpeckers have small bills. Scarlet-backed have small, slim, slightly curved, black bills. Avadavats have thick, cone shaped bills. Red Avadavats have RED bills. Let us know!

Yep...could be either one having only fleeting glimpses. You're spot on about the head and bill...especially the bill. For those who don't know, key differences to look for in the bills...

Flowerpeckers have small bills. Scarlet-backed have small, slim, slightly curved, black bills. Avadavats have thick, cone shaped bills. Red Avadavats have RED bills. Let us know!

Skeptic is spot on about the bill, and it may well be RA, but based on your description and that it was high in a tree, I think Isanbirder has the ID. As IB has already pointed out, Avadavats tend to grasslands, paddy, almost always close to water, and generally stay fairly low to the ground. I have never seen one high in a tree.

• Like 1

Just rescued a Black throated laughing thrush from my dog (the bird must have flew into our window). . Poor thing has all its tail missing and most of the feathers on its back and many on the wings. Luckly no bites... dog seems to like to pull out the feathers.

Got him in a big cage and he is hopping about.... but he can not fly.. so I can't release him until his feathers grow back.

I have no idea what they eat? Worms, fruit? Can anyone advise me what to feed it? I tried giving it some of the red mynah bird pellets from the supermarket.. but he wont' touch them.

Thanks.

https://www.petinfoclub.com/Birds/Profiles/Softbills/Laughing_thrushes.aspx

Thanks.

https://www.petinfoclub.com/Birds/Profiles/Softbills/Laughing_thrushes.aspx

I will be interested to hear how this turns out, Jack. I have tried to nurse damaged birds back to health on a few occasions and thus far my record is zero.

Saw my first Indian Roller of the year, in the garden.

Sitting on a branch and diving on insects in the lawn.

Where do you live? Indian Rollers should be common year round throughout most of Thailand.

Yes... almost daily here in BKK. Still stunning nonetheless and never gets old seeing them.

Saw my first Indian Roller of the year, in the garden.

Sitting on a branch and diving on insects in the lawn.

Where do you live? Indian Rollers should be common year round throughout most of Thailand.

Phuket. I usually see them earlier, around April - May. I thought they were a migrant, but, seems I was wrong.

Looking at my field-guide, A Guide to the Birds of Thailand, the small map shows that they are present all the way down the east coast of the isthmus. On the west coast, they are present only in Phang-Nga and Phuket.

Edited by KarenBravo

I see Indian Rollers most days. The best time of year is about March, when they are displaying.... aerobatic flights with frequent guttural croaks! They often croak in flight.... sorry, they often make croaking sounds in flight, and often that's the first notice I have of them.

Not an easy species to photograph. I've got pix of both genders, but these put mine to shame...

It had just been raining and the bird turned up in some small trees opposite my upstairs terrace. Should have been perfect as light was good but bird was bathing in the wet leafs and very quick movements. Bloody autofocus kept hunting at the crutial moments biggrin.png

But at least I got the ID thanks to you and the otherguys.

Sure a good pic will come along now that I can recognise the birds call.

• Like 1