Thai govt continues to seek cooperation from people to save water during dry season

webfact

Govt continues to seek cooperation from people to save water during dry season

BANGKOK, 8 March 2016 (NNT) – The Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry has adjusted its water distribution plan after the water in 10 main dams across the country receded to critical levels. People have been advised to conserve water as a matter of urgency, as the remaining supplies are critically low.

Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Chatchai Sarikulya said that the water discharge plan of each dam has been tweaked to cope with severe drought as water levels continue to drop.

The dams include Ubolratana dam in Khon Kaen, Mae Ngat Somboon Chon dam in Chiang Mai, Huai Luang dam in Udon Thani, Lam Pao dam in Kalasin, Kra Seaw dam in Suphan Buri and Lam Phra Phloeng dam in Nakhon Ratchasima.

The Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister said that water will still be discharged according to the schedule of each dam. For example, Mae Ngat Somboon Chon dam will release 1.2 million cubic meters of water a week.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-08 footer_n.gif

I will start to take these guys seriously when they come out and say that do to the severe water shortage songkran is cancelled.

I agree, also as has been voiced previously here in Pattaya Songkran lasts for 7 to 10 days, how about the government restricting songkran to 1 or 2 days in Pattaya and show the people by actions, how can the public take water conservation seriously if the government makes no restrictions during this terribly wasteful water throwing celebration.

I will start to take these guys seriously when they come out and say that do to the severe water shortage songkran is cancelled.

I agree, also as has been voiced previously here in Pattaya Songkran lasts for 7 to 10 days, how about the government restricting songkran to 1 or 2 days in Pattaya and show the people by actions, how can the public take water conservation seriously if the government makes no restrictions during this terribly wasteful water throwing celebration.

Should be limited to one day only - nationwide .

Water thrown during songkran is negligible compared to other water needs in this dry land.

Don't worry. Bangkok still has a massive four months of reserves before the taps run dry.

Still plenty left to wash the footpaths, cars, plants ,dog etc.

Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Chatchai Sarikulya said that the water discharge plan of each dam has been tweaked to cope with severe drought as water levels continue to drop.

I guess even the royal rain drops wasn't enough then?

Anyway, it might not help much in the end, but at least as a symbolic show of support to the farmers ban all car washing, ban all watering of golf courses, ban hosing down the street and limit Songkran water splashing.

If I was a farmer hit by drought and saw people in Bangkok, Pattaya or where ever misusing water like this, I would get seriously annoyed and ask myself why I should conserve when others use for fun.

" People have been advised to conserve water as a matter of urgency, as the remaining supplies are critically low."

How are people being advised? I have seen no Public Service ads on television, there have been no mail shots here in Khon Kaen warning of water shortage, nothing broadcast over local village loudspeakers! Are the Government using telepathy to transmit this advise, if so, it is not working! In UK, drought measures are taken seriously well in advance, backed up by legislation and enforcement if people ignore them. E.g. hosepipe ban, car washes closed etc. Also advice is given re reducing baths, placing bricks in toilet cisterns to reduce water used in flushing and to only flush if necessary! These simple measures have proved effective if started before crisis point is reached!