Phuket Bank Receiving Fee

I need to bring in money from a European bank to SCB in Phuket for a retirement visa. I'm trying to find out the exact costs. From information I've seen on here, the bank charges a receiving fee which in this case would be 500 Baht. The part that I'm unsure about is the extra fee they levy because it's a Phuket branch (something to do with inter-provincial transfers?). It's charged as a percentage so it obviously makes quite a difference so I just want to be sure before I make the transfer.

I've been to 2 local branches who have given me totally conflicting information. The helpline I've given up with after failing to get through. I'm fed up with the bank staff; they're all qualified to the hilt with worthless Thai degrees, yet know nothing.

I just got back from another branch - one of the staff gave me completely inaccurate information so I asked to speak to the call centre. She said the bank charges 0.25% up to a maximum of 500 Baht. On top of this, there is another fee because the money has to be received by the Bangkok office and then credited to the Phuket account. This is just over 1000 Baht for a 1 million transfer.

No idea why a bank makes charges when sending to it's own branch in a different province. Maybe they deliver it personally.

Flat out wrong information

The money has to go to SCB Foreign Currency Remit Department in Bangkok, just like every other bank in Thailand, it must go the the main branch in Bangkok first

Bangkok is a province and I live in Pattaya which is in Chonburi province so all my International wires have to go through Bangkok and then credited to my account in Pattaya, no inter province transfer fee is required or ever charged

I think that what the call center is getting confused about is in addition to the " 0.25% up to a maximum of 500 Baht " is a fee levied by SCB's " correspondent " bank in your home country. In the US SCB's correspondent bank is CitiBank N.A. in New York , don't know who it is in " Europe "

If your account was open in Bangkok, you will pay an incoming fee of 0.25% on the converted amount, minimum 200 baht, max 500 baht. In your case 500 baht.

On top of that, if your account was originally open in another province, Kbank for example will charge an additional 700 baht if I am not mistaken.

So yes there is an "interprovincial" extra fee if your account was open anywhere else than Bangkok.

All my Thai banks seem to charge this 0.25%/max500B fee for incoming transfers from abroad.

But there should be no fee at all for the transfer from the main receiving branch to your local branch. I've certainly never paid one in Pattaya yet all my transfers have transited via some main Bangkok international branch before getting to me.

Ok sorry about the last post I double checked the fees for several banks i could find and it seems it is limited indeed to 0.25% min 200 baht max 500 baht. It's just that I'm so sure I have seen that interprovincial extra fee stated somewhere a few years ago. But it seems I am either mistaken or they took it out.

Was unable to find SCB's fees, did I fail in that or they just don't publish them on their website?

Edited by lkv

In August last year I transferred 100480.80 baht from Australia to Thailand. The company I used transfer to Bangkok Bank and then the Bangkok Bank transferred to my SCB account in Phayao. The Bangkok Bank charged me 401.20 Baht to transfer to my SCB account.

SCB then charged me the following fees

100 Baht for Comm Baht Net

100 Baht Comm inter Region

I found the fees rather expensive and queried the SCB. They gave me a printout of these charges.

I now only transfer to my Bangkok Bank account.and the maximum I pay is 500 baht depending on the amount I transfer.

Ok sorry about the last post I double checked the fees for several banks i could find and it seems it is limited indeed to 0.25% min 200 baht max 500 baht. It's just that I'm so sure I have seen that interprovincial extra fee stated somewhere a few years ago. But it seems I am either mistaken or they took it out.

Was unable to find SCB's fees, did I fail in that or they just don't publish them on their website?

Many banks here have a small inter-regional fee when you transfer from an account in one region to an account in another. There are some banks that dont have such a fee though: I think that TMB and Standard Chartered are two examples, maybe CIMB too.

But a transfer received via a main international branch should not be subject to such an inter-regional fee as the second transfer is being forced upon you and is not optional.

They also have inter-regional fees for using a Thai banks ATM's out of province

Once on the way to Chantaburi I took the shortcut from (332) Sukumhvit to Sukumhvit North of the Utapao Airport and got hit with an SCB fee since the 7-11 that I stopped at just happened to be over the un-marked provincial border

SCB also wanted to charge me a fee for a cash deposit in Ban Chang at a SCB branch in Tesco. Needless to say I just kept the cash and waited till I got back over the "border"

Flat out wrong information

The money has to go to SCB Foreign Currency Remit Department in Bangkok, just like every other bank in Thailand, it must go the the main branch in Bangkok first

Bangkok is a province and I live in Pattaya which is in Chonburi province so all my International wires have to go through Bangkok and then credited to my account in Pattaya, no inter province transfer fee is required or ever charged

I think that what the call center is getting confused about is in addition to the " 0.25% up to a maximum of 500 Baht " is a fee levied by SCB's " correspondent " bank in your home country. In the US SCB's correspondent bank is CitiBank N.A. in New York , don't know who it is in " Europe "

Not sure when you last had an inward transfer but I made one in January. Similar to you my account is in Pattaya and they charged an extra 20 baht transfer fee for the transfer from BKK to Pattaya. So my total SCB charges (or commission as stated on the advice note) was 520 baht. I was also charged the same for a transfer last year and back in 2010 so maybe you are getting preferential treatment.........thumbsup.gif

Correspondent/Intermediary bank fees do not show on the advice from the receiving bank but you will see it from the amount received in whatever currency.

If I was the OP I would get his branch to contact the FX desk in SCB head office to get confirmation of the charges. Not sure if this is correct but you could try 022561851 if they won't call.

Maybe they charge more the further away the branch is............whistling.gif