Quick question on tourist visa extention when married

Hi,

Looked around on the forum found different answers, So, a quick question.

I have a double entry tourist visa it finishes in a week (meaning both entries have been used). I was going to get another 30 days at immigration, but a fellow expat told me because I'm married I can get 60 days.

So, he said original and copies of the marriage certificate, something I forget the name of in Thai, but it's that white double-sided paper with all the info and copies of the wife's blue book and ID, signed, no originals needed.

The question I have is does my wife have to come with me? (She needs to arrange time of work) I saw some answers saying yes, some no.

I'm in Bangkok and the marriage was registered here.

Sorry if the info is already here, searching from my phone.

Edited by johninbkk71
  • Like 1

A tourist visa entry is normally a 30 day extension, just the fee, passport photo, and possibly proof of where you are staying. Can you extend a Tourist visa entry by reason of marriage?

I thought you would need some type of non-immigrant visa for marriage-based extension of stay.

A tourist visa entry is normally a 30 day extension, just the fee, passport photo, and possibly proof of where you are staying. Can you extend a Tourist visa entry by reason of marriage?

I thought you would need some type of non-immigrant visa for marriage-based extension of stay.

You can only extend a tourist visa entry by 30 days (for the reason of continued tourism) which the OP could do without his wife present.

But a 60 day extension is available to him because he is married. Any permit to stay can be extended by 60 days, including a tourist visa entry.

Edited by elviajero

....Any permit to stay can be extended by 60 days, including a tourist visa entry.

That's interesting to know. Always assumed you needed a non-immigrant to do 60 day extension based on marriage. OP and others visiting Thai family get a break.

....Any permit to stay can be extended by 60 days, including a tourist visa entry.

That's interesting to know. Always assumed you needed a non-immigrant to do 60 day extension based on marriage. OP and others visiting Thai family get a break.

Don't need a visa, It can be done on a visa exempt

Hmm..I am married more than 20 years . However my Thai wife is currently working overseas ..so no way to get a 60 days extension...?

it is an extension to visit your wife. If she is not here it would not be possible for you to visit her.

"2.24 In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality:"

This part of the clause is the primary reason for the wife to be with you when you apply though.

"2) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto"

Ok understand that .Sorry but that is not such easy. Working here as expert for more than 15 years, we have our house and condo here with all our properties. As my wife holds a PH.D. as well, we are working project based. My wife has a project in Europe. I currently have my projects in Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia and Pakistan, not in Thailand. But of cause I intend to stay in Thailand, as it is the center of living. As my project in Thailand ended, I was forced into a tourist visa. What Visa is now recommended?.?

Ok understand that .Sorry but that is not such easy. Working here as expert for more than 15 years, we have our house and condo here with all our properties. As my wife holds a PH.D. as well, we are working project based. My wife has a project in Europe. I currently have my projects in Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia and Pakistan, not in Thailand. But of cause I intend to stay in Thailand, as it is the center of living. As my project in Thailand ended, I was forced into a tourist visa. What Visa is now recommended?.?

You could easily get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You would need your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. You could also get one in Penang with 100k baht in the bank or proof of income.

If your wife could be here at the same time as you it would be possible to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration during the last 30 days of a non-o visa entry. You would need to show 400k baht in the bank for 2 monthsor proof of 40k baht income.

Tried that in Savannakhet, but got only a Tourist visa. Non O was denied as the house book was only a copy of the signing due to mail transfer

Sorry to say it but that is normal for documents that have to be signed. They want to see that it is an original of the signed copy. Best to have your wife sign some copies and send them to you by mail or courier.

Sure, but I received the termination letter of the project two day before the EoS expired..so no time. we are married so in all circumstances in the past where I need such copies I signed it myself as I got the legal authority from my wife to do it. It was always accepted.

Sure, but I received the termination letter of the project two day before the EoS expired..so no time. we are married so in all circumstances in the past where I need such copies I signed it myself as I got the legal authority from my wife to do it. It was always accepted.

That was some very short notice.

I think they are diligent in their requirements to prevent a person that is separated from their wife using years old copies to apply for an extension.

Maybe, but the copies are not "old" as I am holding ID card and Tabien baan here in our house. We married overseas under the law of my home country. We live in a globalized world but TiT. How many Thai woman not stay with their Thai husbands but working somewhere to support themselves an the children

the logic conclusion would be that a Thai woman which are working some time overseas, are considered to be not married, when they leave the country.

I have to go out of the country and when i return my non-o married visa will have expired.

So is it correct what i've read here that i can fly back in and get 30 days at airport then go to khon kaen after 30 days and extend for 60 days with my wife present.

Cheers

I have to go out of the country and when i return my non-o married visa will have expired.

So is it correct what i've read here that i can fly back in and get 30 days at airport then go to khon kaen after 30 days and extend for 60 days with my wife present.

Cheers

Yes that is correct,

• When you fly without a visa the airline might not let you board without an onward flight (to anywhere) dated within 30 days of arrival.
  • Like 1

You could easily get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You would need your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. You could also get one in Penang with 100k baht in the bank or proof of income.

If your wife could be here at the same time as you it would be possible to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration during the last 30 days of a non-o visa entry. You would need to show 400k baht in the bank for 2 monthsor proof of 40k baht income.

I think the non-o is the most favorable option for us as it is much more flexible as the extension. I have to fly out Thailand about 2-3 times a month so the 90 days exit is not a problem.