Australian in Udon Thani on standard 30 day tourist visa , looking to extend .

Hi , I'm new to the forums and apologise in advance if this topic has been covered many tines over , however with so many stories of crackdowns on border runs , I thought I'd ask for a little bit of more up to date and current advice .

I am an Australian from Perth , arrived in Thailand on the 18th of feb and have a standard tourist 30 days Visa . I am staying with my girlfriend in her home in udon Thani . I want to stay another 30 days and would appreciate any help .

Happy to fly and stay over night if that is the best way ?

I have been to Thailand only a few times and never had an overstay .

could someone please direct me to the latest thread regarding extending visa / border run etc :

Thank you in advance

You do not have a tourist visa.

You have a 30 day "visa exempt entry" which can be extended by 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 Bht.

If you visit again get a tourist visa from the Perth Thai consulate which will give an initial 60 day stay which is extendable by another 30 days

Thank you for that information , I just assumed I was a tourist in a tourist visa . Will check that out next time i visit .

When I go to immigration , Will I need to take my girlfriend and / or proof of where I am living etc ?

I have read that some people have gone to udon Thani immigration and only been issued 7 day extensions for the same price .

Thank you for that information , I just assumed I was a tourist in a tourist visa . Will check that out next time i visit .

When I go to immigration , Will I need to take my girlfriend and / or proof of where I am living etc ?

I have read that some people have gone to udon Thani immigration and only been issued 7 day extensions for the same price .

If a request for an extension is denied (because the applicant does not qualify) immigration normally gives 7 days to leave the country. This is not technically an extension, but amounts to the same thing.

You do not need your girlfriend with you when applying for the 30-day extension of a tourist visa entry or visa exempt entry. However, immigration may give you grief if your girlfriend has not reported the presence of an alien living in her household.

If living in Udon, you also have the option of a day trip to Vientiane to get another visa exempt entry. Since you will be entering by land, and not from a G7 country, this will only be a 15-day entry (extendable by another 30 days at immigration in Udon). If it will be only your second visa exempt entry, this should be no problem. If staying for an extended period, trying to stay continually on visa exempt entries will likely eventually be stamped upon, however.

Edited by BritTim

You will not need the g/f but you might be asked for evidence of address.

7 day "extensions" are normally only given to those who qualify for nothing else and are intended to enable people to make an ordered but rapid exit from the country.

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions .

Who would my girlfriend have to notify , to tell them I am staying here ?

Would a power bill be sufficient evidence to say that this is the address that I will be staying ?

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions .

Who would my girlfriend have to notify , to tell them I am staying here ?

Would a power bill be sufficient evidence to say that this is the address that I will be staying ?

Put your address down as the UD residence hotel,google it you should have no issues then.

Much easier,if in the highly unlikely event they contact the hotel tell them you were going to book in after leaving immigration.

Saves all the hassle.

some immigration offices are enforcing a rule that the owner has to notify immigration of a foreigner staying at the property. this comes to light when an extension is applied for, just go do the extension 1,900 baht and keep your fingers crossed, deal with any problems as they come up.

next time come with a tourist visa obtained in home country.

if you think there will be any need for more time than the 30 day extension, come back on here and say.

Edited by steve187

Thanks Britim .

What would be an example of

r an extension is denied (because the applicant does not qualify)

Thanks .

One common reason an extension is denied is asking for a second 30-day extension of the same entry. Since (under normal circumstances) only a single extension of a single tourist visa or visa exempt entry is allowed, such a request would lead to 7 days to leave the country instead. Similarly, trying to get an extension when already on a (short) overstay will be rejected, but you will likely get 7 days to leave. (If on a long overstay, you are more likely to be arrested and deported.)