Thai army chief says crackdown on mafias will be indefinite

webfact

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"He also warned army personnel that they be drastically dealt with without warning if they are engaged in mafia-style businesses." Did he tell the Police that? I doubt it whistling.gif

A 'top down' crackdown would be more effective rather than going for the low hanging fruit all the time.

Yet another announcement or will there be real action? Mmmmm...... The proof of the pudding is in the eating! coffee1.gif

Defense Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan said the move to crackdown on mafias will only target those suspected of illegal weapons possession and disturbing the peace.

Every Thai who owns a vehicle of any kind, be it an oversized Ford Ranger, Honda Wave or one of those side car carrying pieces of shat are in possession of a deadly weapon.

As for disturbing the peace....the only place I've managed to find peace here is in the middle of a paddi field in the arse end of isan.

But seriously, let's see some results. Put your words into action Thailand and actually do it. Forget the forces that people are talking about as the term Mafia is too complimentary for them. I always think of the mafia as an organized, intelligent unit that move with the times. The aforementioned are merely bandits who line their own pockets as and when they feel like it. If you cracked down on them they'd be a force of about 23 throughout the country.

Two very ominous statements from the perspective of any future democratic elected Thai government:

- Army chief says [Army] crackdown on mafias will be indefinite

- The military has vowed to implement the government's policy of eliminating influential groups

This is a clear statement that regardless of any new government that follows the Prayut regime, the Thai military will operate outside of and independently of government - a law unto itself. Really, this is actually no different than how the military operates now. The military will decide who are influential groups that threaten Thai society as defined by the military.

Will the Army's judicial independence be prescribed in Meechai's draft constitution so any new government cannot override the military's operations? Or shall the military just ignore any new constitution as it has always done in the past? Afterall, the military might consider a new elected government as a dangerous influential group.

don't want to bust your bubble but in the UK for example, the police (and agencies) operate independantly from government enforcing the law as do the police and agencies in most western countries, should it be the army performing such tasks in Thailand ? well maybe it would be short sighted to rely on the police, future government or local authorities, it does raise the question - who is policing the army ? well nobody and that isn't going to change any time soon, good or bad that is how it is, it remains to be seen if they are effective in their task, one thing is for sure, no one has ever atempted such a thing in Thailand before, it is not the preferred way to do things but at least it seems to be happening, most people here are aware of how corruption manifests itself in Thailand - it is a tough nut to crack and will take many hard years to change

Where will he start, up high or down low on the mafia ladder? This announcement would have been a perfect opportunity to have an example of a mafioso sitting next to him in cuffs as actions speak louder than words.

maybe the ex chief of the CSD would have been a fine example ........................ oh wait he is already in jail

Why don't they just do it?

i'm tired of all these announcements with no actions.

The Nike slogan had never caught on in Thailand. Instead, they have another slogan:

"Just say it!"

Two very ominous statements from the perspective of any future democratic elected Thai government:

- Army chief says [Army] crackdown on mafias will be indefinite

- The military has vowed to implement the government's policy of eliminating influential groups

This is a clear statement that regardless of any new government that follows the Prayut regime, the Thai military will operate outside of and independently of government - a law unto itself. Really, this is actually no different than how the military operates now. The military will decide who are influential groups that threaten Thai society as defined by the military.

Will the Army's judicial independence be prescribed in Meechai's draft constitution so any new government cannot override the military's operations? Or shall the military just ignore any new constitution as it has always done in the past? Afterall, the military might consider a new elected government as a dangerous influential group.

don't want to bust your bubble but in the UK for example, the police (and agencies) operate independantly from government enforcing the law as do the police and agencies in most western countries, should it be the army performing such tasks in Thailand ? well maybe it would be short sighted to rely on the police, future government or local authorities, it does raise the question - who is policing the army ? well nobody and that isn't going to change any time soon, good or bad that is how it is, it remains to be seen if they are effective in their task, one thing is for sure, no one has ever atempted such a thing in Thailand before, it is not the preferred way to do things but at least it seems to be happening, most people here are aware of how corruption manifests itself in Thailand - it is a tough nut to crack and will take many hard years to change

I have some empathy with your remarks BUT an attempt is probably about all that will happen. Thai authorities, of whatever "persuasion", are not noted for doing much apart from talking. Power, money, cronyism, greed and corruption seems to be deep rooted in Thai society, sadly sad.png Destroying/removing low hanging fruit will achieve nothing of substance I think whistling.gif

Nation:

Influential criminal figures were defined as: people having weapons and manpower in their possession to carry out illegal activities.

They were divided into the 16 groups of offenders: illegal money lenders; bid collusion; motorcycle taxis' illegal fee collectors; entertainment and service business establishments violating laws; illegal goods (including gasoline) traders; gambling-den operators; prostitution; migrant worker traffickers; duping people with faulty promises of jobs abroad; tourist exploitation; guns-for-hire businesses; illegal debt collecting services; war weapons trade; encroachment on public land; bribe-taking at highways and public places; and drug trafficking.

So he's closing down the Thai economy?

Nation:

Influential criminal figures were defined as: people having weapons and manpower in their possession to carry out illegal activities.

They were divided into the 16 groups of offenders: illegal money lenders; bid collusion; motorcycle taxis' illegal fee collectors; entertainment and service business establishments violating laws; illegal goods (including gasoline) traders; gambling-den operators; prostitution; migrant worker traffickers; duping people with faulty promises of jobs abroad; tourist exploitation; guns-for-hire businesses; illegal debt collecting services; war weapons trade; encroachment on public land; bribe-taking at highways and public places; and drug trafficking.

So he's closing down the Thai economy?

Shhhhh! rolleyes.gif

They say that the army and the cops have beef with each other but for me they seem to always get each other's back when protecting...."interests".

Now it would be good if they proved me wrong. Lots of cops and army personal from top to bottom being arrested, also politicians from both red and yellow getting investigated and arrested.

Also the mafias. We all know the islands in the south are absolutely infested with them. If the NCPO are serious their scope will be from their own that was involved in the park scandal, to Mon and Nomsood and his murderous band of thugs down in Koh Tao and all of similar ilk in between.

I, of course, won't be holding my breath on this happening though.

The government has done well in cracking down on the motorcycle mafia and the lottery mafia. I can can now get a lift to the market on a motorbike taxi, buy a lottery ticket and be taxied back for a 100 baht. Before it was 120 baht, cheers Prayuth. Top job, with the extra 20 baht I can buy a cool drink to quench my thirst in this hot summer sun. :)

Edited by tukkytuktuk

They say that the army and the cops have beef with each other but for me they seem to always get each other's back when protecting...."interests".

Now it would be good if they proved me wrong. Lots of cops and army personal from top to bottom being arrested, also politicians from both red and yellow getting investigated and arrested.

Also the mafias. We all know the islands in the south are absolutely infested with them. If the NCPO are serious their scope will be from their own that was involved in the park scandal, to Mon and Nomsood and his murderous band of thugs down in Koh Tao and all of similar ilk in between.

I am pleased mrrizzla that you will not hold your breath because to have done so would have led to your death. coffee1.gif

You have recognised all too well the folly of your thought.

Edited by lvr181

I am pleased mrrizzla that you will not hold your breath because to have done so would have led to your death. coffee1.gif

You have recognised all too well the folly of your thought.

Yep. I have lived here through both colours of civilian government and now a junta. Things don't change, it's all hot air and empty threats.

Army commander-in-chief Gen Thirachai Narkwanich is a comedian, who part time does stand up comedy. At least he should be attempting that, with this latest joke of his. He has got to be kidding. Oh, we forgot to go after them up until now. But, we just remembered it was a real problem. Now, we promise we are serious. We will get busy and do the work we were already supposed to be doing. And somehow, we will talk the police into doing real police work. We have not quite worked out how that is possible. But, we are big men, and I am sure we can handle it somehow. Maybe we will get some magicians or some hypnotists involved. Maybe we will take a poll, and see if any real policemen, who are actually willing to enforce the law, will answer our poll.

Oh wait a minute, I forgot that most of the mafia organizations work in concert with the police. That makes things a bit more complicated. Well, maybe we will have to go after the police too. Wow. Would the nation be surprised, or what? A promise fulfilled by a politician is an incredible thing. Let us see if they can disprove all of the doubters in the land. And we are plentiful. We have good reason to doubt.

Army commander-in-chief Gen Thirachai Narkwanich is a comedian, who part time does stand up comedy. At least he should be attempting that, with this latest joke of his. He has got to be kidding. Oh, we forgot to go after them up until now. But, we just remembered it was a real problem. Now, we promise we are serious. We will get busy and do the work we were already supposed to be doing. And somehow, we will talk the police into doing real police work. We have not quite worked out how that is possible. But, we are big men, and I am sure we can handle it somehow. Maybe we will get some magicians or some hypnotists involved. Maybe we will take a poll, and see if any real policemen, who are actually willing to enforce the law, will answer our poll.

Oh wait a minute, I forgot that most of the mafia organizations work in concert with the police. That makes things a bit more complicated. Well, maybe we will have to go after the police too. Wow. Would the nation be surprised, or what? A promise fulfilled by a politician is an incredible thing. Let us see if they can disprove all of the doubters in the land. And we are plentiful. We have good reason to doubt.

You forgot to add that they must consult astrologist also. If they did not do then all is lost - nothing will happen despite saying much whistling.gif

Oh ye (me) of little faith. coffee1.gif

You forgot to add that they must consult astrologist also. If they did not do then all is lost - nothing will happen despite saying much whistling.gif

Oh ye (me) of little faith. coffee1.gif

Another thing I forgot to mention, that if they were the slightest bit serious, they could start with the five families on Dark Tao. Everyone knows they are completely above the law. Any and all laws. So, the army could show once for once, that super wealthy, very well connected crime families (the very definition of mafia) are NOT above the law. They sell leased land, as chanote, earning hundreds of millions of dollars in the process. Some of their sons are serial killers, and innocent migrant workers have been framed for their crimes, so they can walk free, above the law, and their crime sprees continue. Serial killers are on the loose. Do you care Narkwanich?

Show us. Stop jabbering. Start acting. Men act. Children talk, children draft plans, children make promises every day. Real men show us with their actions that they are serious people, and give the population of their nation a reason to finally start taking them seriously.

Edited by spidermike007

"Indefinite" He says.

I'm disappointed, they have in the past set clear time lines.

How about all Mafias finished by Tuesday next week at 18.00.

They did something like that with human trafficking last year, didn't they.

Of course the punchline is the announcement of their total success in these crackdowns.

The funny part of this story is the fact they are expecting local authorities such as governors and mayors to help with the crackdown, the most effective way to tackle such organised crime is to start at the top and work down

From the top down do you mean the military helping themselves to the spending of trillions of Bahts for new Tanks, Planes and Submarines? When the money would be better spent on more important things for the benefit of the people. Yes the Mafia starts at the top of the political tree.

Not really mafia behaviour.The armed forces need to procure military equipment and in every country there will always be a debate about spending priorities.What is essential however is that defence procurement should be overseen by democratically elected civilian ministers.The armed forces may lobby and recommend but ultimately they must do what they are instructed by politicians.

As to mafia activities I would have thought that government servants - bureaucrats, generals,senior policemen etc - who have unexplained vast fortunes and modest incomes certainly fall into that category.Somehow I sense this may not receive very much priority.

Where will he start, up high or down low on the mafia ladder? This announcement would have been a perfect opportunity to have an example of a mafioso sitting next to him in cuffs as actions speak louder than words.

maybe the ex chief of the CSD would have been a fine example ........................ oh wait he is already in jail
what ex chief of Crime Suppression was arrested? Maj-Gen Chaitat Boonkham? Pol Maj-Gen Akradej Pimonsri ?