Cheapcharlies - myth or real?

Rob8891

I would much rather buy a 35 baht stir fry at my local village eating house than pay 100 baht for a (sometimes) inferior equivalent in a slightly more upmarket establishment. So I guess that makes me a cheap Charlie..

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once saw someone pay a 1195 baht bar bill with 1200 and told the staff they were lucky to get th4 5 baht change as a tip.

Cheap Charlies don't run up 1195 bht bar bills

Spot on, if you had a bar and most of your customers spend neigh on 1200 baht you would be well chuffed, the 5 baht tip in my eyes OK but me I would have thrown a 20 baht with it too.

The new cheap charlies are primarily "digital nomads" (not all, but many) who come to Thailand expecting to stay in accommodation for US$100 (3500 baht) a month then only spend another $100-200 a month on food and the rest.

I appreciate that some people want to save money, I really do, but can you imagine living on <10,000 baht a month?

This is a cheap country to live in by Western standards, you can live like a king for peanuts vs the country you've come from, why would you want to live like a peasant when you move here?

I've never understood people like that.

1- Those who don't give the money (got paid by hard working) away easily, called Cheep Charlie's by those who got their money easy (not hard workers).

2- Those girls (smart ass) who can not get money easily out of our pocket, call us Cheep Charlie's. tongue.png

No Thai pays a big tip. Tip ideas are made up by "Farrang" who don't know how to impress girls or ladyboys with hope of getting a smile from them. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Most definitely they exist. One of the tenants here used a pedal bike to get from Jomtien

to Bangkok. He said he did not want to spend the money on bus transportation. He

keeps a second bicycle here at the condo for any lady friends that come to see him.

They never stay long as he is such a cheap Charlie, or so he says. Never takes a baht

bus or taxi. Pedal bike all the way. Very basic lifestyle. I think he is Ukrainian. Up to him. rolleyes.gif

having dinner with my wife a few years back in a sidewalk restaurant, in comes a bunch of ten year old flower sellers (you don't see them that often anymore). She wants to sell me a flower, I say 'no, don't want.". She doesn't take "no" for an answer, shirt tugging, "mister, buy flower". more shirt tugging...Finally she gets the message and called me "Cheap Chaaalie!". I replied and called her "Dirty Diana!" - it went straight over her head, but my wife was laughing so hard, her tears came out.

Cheap Charlie is not an absolute term, but a relative one.

I'm what I consider well off, and may well see somebody who doesn't spend as freely as a CC. I don't incidentally, but just as someone who has different choices and priorities.

Somebody who is much better off than me may see me ss a CC because I may not, or seem not to,spend as freely as he does.

Live and let live. We all have choices.

Having said that, I don't have much time for one who joins a round, has a few beers and leaves as it's his shout!!

And those who know virtually nothing about Thai culture, but are certain that in Thailand you should never tip because it's a major cultural thing and whenever they are handed the tab they feel a sudden cultural oneness with all Thais.

You are right with one exception. Don't tip in a Thai Muslim restaurant. I've had them running through the street to give me back the 10 Bt tip I left on the table.

The new cheap charlies are primarily "digital nomads" (not all, but many) who come to Thailand expecting to stay in accommodation for US$100 (3500 baht) a month then only spend another $100-200 a month on food and the rest.

I appreciate that some people want to save money, I really do, but can you imagine living on <10,000 baht a month?

This is a cheap country to live in by Western standards, you can live like a king for peanuts vs the country you've come from, why would you want to live like a peasant when you move here?

When I lived back in US I did not need to spend more than $300 per month. Therefore I don't have a pigs beer belly. I go to GYM and I follow a healthy life without filling my stomach up to my throat.

I understand that some people do not understand people like me. cheesy.gif

When I lived back in US I did not need to spend more than $300 per month. Therefore I don't have a pigs beer belly. I go to GYM and I follow a healthy life without filling my stomach up to my throat.

I understand that some people do not understand people like me. cheesy.gif

I'd be flat out trying to rent a basic apartment in Australia for $300 a week, let alone a month.

But good for you if you could in the United States :)

I'm not sure that's true. Most of the time I see this kind of behaviour, its from folks getting on in years.

Considering many came here with a pension pot they thought would last them their retirement, only to have to contend with a rising cost of living and a shrinking currency back home, I'm not surprised. Add in those who manage their money poorly or make ill-advised investments, and you have a recipe for a large number of poverty-stricken expat retirees. They have my sympathy - it can't be a pleasant situation.

all the family get-togethers were at my home , cook-outs , parties etc . my favorite niece's husband always came over with only a 6 pack of some el'cheapo beer . mind you this cheap Charley drank like a Russian sailor that had been at sea for 2 years . after 5 or 6 hours and a 24 pack under his belt he would waddle to his car and sleep in the back seat with the 6 pack of the el'-cheapo beer he brought , my niece loved him , watta you gunna do ?

Not all cheap charlies are pensioners by any means. One guy who loves to continually bleat about his various businesses and his alleged wealth was loaned a friend's apartment to stay in for free. As a thank you, the cheapcharlie gave his generous friend's wife a handbag (very ill-judged, as she isn't a "hand bag lady"), but what was even worse judgement was giving a second-hand handbag with the previous owner's shopping details in it.

I'm definitely cheap.

OK so I'll tip the beer serving girl 100bht if she's cute, attentive and keeps my glass full.

One of these made a 100bht tip from me ..........

attachicon.gifoxide.jpg

But on the other hand, I can't resist buy one, get one free, or 3 large beers for 150bht.

And am totally happy with 30bht coffee shops ....... no need for Starbucks.

Bet it was the one in the Nurses outfit

regards Worgeordie

A katoey, who knows!

Not all cheap charlies are pensioners by any means.

I agree. But many of them are - enough to counter the assertion that CCs are primarily digital nomads - that much discussed but rarely actually seen group that obsess some posters here.

A lot of the young people you seen saving every satang are probably travelling, and trying to see as much of the world as they can on their budget. I can identify with that - I remember in my backpacking days the decadent feeling of splashing out an extra few dollars for a room with aircon after weeks of sweating.

i once saw a young Russian couple in Kiss restaurant near Soi Diana paid up the bill and when they got the change they argue with the stuff about something. Later I realized that one Baht was missing and the stuff showed the couple that the one Baht was under their bill. So I realized the argument was for missing one Baht.

Most definitely they exist. One of the tenants here used a pedal bike to get from Jomtien

to Bangkok. He said he did not want to spend the money on bus transportation. He

keeps a second bicycle here at the condo for any lady friends that come to see him.

They never stay long as he is such a cheap Charlie, or so he says. Never takes a baht

bus or taxi. Pedal bike all the way. Very basic lifestyle. I think he is Ukrainian. Up to him. rolleyes.gif

He's happy, what should he do buy a Range Rover to please the likes of you?

I bet he doesn't have a big beer gut like you, with all that exercise.

I'm definitely cheap.

OK so I'll tip the beer serving girl 100bht if she's cute, attentive and keeps my glass full.

One of these made a 100bht tip from me ..........

attachicon.gifoxide.jpg

But on the other hand, I can't resist buy one, get one free, or 3 large beers for 150bht.

And am totally happy with 30bht coffee shops ....... no need for Starbucks.

I also would have given the lad in the background 100baht if he kept my glass full.

how are you spelling gl asstongue.png

I once saw someone pay a 1195 baht bar bill with 1200 and told the staff they were lucky to get th4 5 baht change as a tip.

Cheap Charlies don't run up 1195 bht bar bills

Spot on, if you had a bar and most of your customers spend neigh on 1200 baht you would be well chuffed, the 5 baht tip in my eyes OK but me I would have thrown a 20 baht with it too.

I guess I have no real concept of a cheap charlie, except that it may be someone who lets the price of things dictate his life.

I am quite amused at the number of you who are discussing the B1195 bill as if it were an unusually expensive bar bill. I went out bar hopping with an old friend last night, we alternated bills and I remember several which topped B1200. Of course, we weren't just drinking cheap beer or soft drinks and water.

Unlike the Loch Ness Monster and Big Foot or the Easter Bunny for that matter.....the Cheap Charlie's do exist...Oh yes they do.

A back packer on a budget and trying to make 1000 US dollars last for say 3 months here in Thailand is a separate matter....but the ones that you know have more than enough money and spend as little as possible while always letting others pay for the drinks and meals and entertainment all the time and Never offer to pitch in are the ones that I would say are the Cheap Charlies...besides other highly irritating aspects of their practiced, small minded thinking concerning just how tight they are with their money.

They would NEVER give to a Beggar that is genuinely in need ...even if that beggar turned out to be their own Mother

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

He's happy, what should he do buy a Range Rover to please the likes of you?

I bet he doesn't have a big beer gut like you, with all that exercise.

You are right, if the person is happy in what he is doing; then let it be. However, the ones who are strapped for cash and try to get by as cheaply as possible may not be so happy. It gets worse when they abuse another's kindness by taking and never reciprocating.

i'm not cheap, but it's never my money i'm spending. online begging, parents, kids, friends, banks, etc.......they all support my lifestyle!!!

life is short, let others sweat and pay for it

i get take-out food, but then eat at a table after i act like one leg broke

spill coffee on my leg, free 87% of the time

got hit by 124 cars, 12 settlements

During the Vietnam War I used to hear 'Cheap Charlie' all the time there.

Just in the past year I am hearing it more and more here

in Bangkok.

Foreigners bring their habits and customs over here and expect to do

the same.

Thais do not tip so why do I have to?

Sure if someone goes out of their way to do something special for me

I will reward them.

Now the new thing in the past few years is that a lot of businesses are

adding a 10 percent service charge (tip) to your bill.

I would much rather buy a 35 baht stir fry at my local village eating house than pay 100 baht for a (sometimes) inferior equivalent in a slightly more upmarket establishment. So I guess that makes me a cheap Charlie..

That doesn't make you a cheap Charlie in my opinion. My wife and I don't fall for the fancy decor with triple the price, we eat where the food is the best. For me a cheap Charlie is someone that goes out of their way to save a few baht without having any shame in embarrassing everyone around them, regardless of being Thais or other farangs.