Is this a reasonable price to buy on Phangan

Go For It! I have two (2) ocean front lots in Florida! I will give you a 50% discount for Cash! One, is $450,000 and the other

$765,000. I have discounted 50%, so your getting a real bargain. My offer expires in 48 hours!

It's pretty obvious what you mean by beach front land, so no need to get into the debate about that - Its land which is not on the beach but fronts the beach with direct access.

If so, 1 Rai at 10million baht almost sounds too good to be true.... check, double check, triple check and then quadruple check the legalities of this purchase...

Do I sound jealous - Yes - IF this is a genuine offer / purchase its a great deal, of course I'm jealous ! - Good luck to the Op, beach front property is sought after World Wide. A Rai of Beach Front land in Hua Hin, Chantaburi, Pranbrui etc goes for 5x that...

Thank you all for the replies, I didn't expect to get so much feedback. It seems the consensus is that it is not over priced so my question has been answered, also I feel my mind to be somewhat clearer on the matter now from all the responses so that's great.

Kinda edging towards going ahead with it then, I'll update this thread if I do but its may be some time away, one again thanks for all the useful replies :-)

Thank you all for the replies, I didn't expect to get so much feedback. It seems the consensus is that it is not over priced so my question has been answered, also I feel my mind to be somewhat clearer on the matter now from all the responses so that's great.

Kinda edging towards going ahead with it then, I'll update this thread if I do but its may be some time away, one again thanks for all the useful replies :-)

Koh Som is "for sale", triple check required.

"KOH SOM ISLAND... 500 METERS NORTH OF KOH SAMUI

A BEAUTIFUL PRIVATE ISLAND PROPERTY FOR SALE... FULLY LANDSCAPED AND READY... IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE MESSAGE..."

https://www.facebook.com/petcherat.kohsamui/

Koh Som is "for sale", triple check required.

"KOH SOM ISLAND... 500 METERS NORTH OF KOH SAMUI

A BEAUTIFUL PRIVATE ISLAND PROPERTY FOR SALE... FULLY LANDSCAPED AND READY... IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE MESSAGE..."

https://www.facebook.com/petcherat.kohsamui/

Any buyer will need to be deaf:

Fabi-Fliervoet-Flickr2_191525.png

You said your wife is from there, does she still have family on the island?

Will you ultimately retire here/nearing retirement/still work

Sounds like a good deal especially if your wife still has family then it really is more a 'home' for now and future and not just some place you will tire of down the line

Koh Som is "for sale", triple check required

Might be, Koh som is actually two small islands with a small land bridge, Thai navy claims half.

I remember a housing project there eight years ago.

Who want a house on an island without freshwater source?

Dig a well there and you end up with salt water.

And it is right for in the flight path to the Samui airport.

If its the best beach on the island it must be haad yao and there is one fallow in the middle of the beach since years I always wondered when it would be sold.

what are you going to do with 1 rai if not open some business? Seems like an overkill for just one house. at least to me.

yeah the whole island is in the hand of very few families so thats not surprising.

Good luck

Ignore all the rubbish and incorrect comments... As I am sure you will

I am in exactly the same position as you but without the big pockets hahaha... I have spent the last 3 years looking at lands on the island. If the beach aspect is as you say... Buy it... Poor beach land on Phangan can fetch 8-10m

Forget the lawer bit... Get the wifes family to make local enquiries and look over the chanote very very well... All dire information will be recorded on the chanote.

We have purchased sea view... A quick trip to the land office by wife and seller... Hand over money and taxes... Done in half an hour.... Or you could pay 50k baht to a lawyer to do the same thing....

Do it (and invite me for a drink when the house is complete!)

Good luck

If its the best beach on the island it must be haad yao and there is one fallow in the middle of the beach since years I always wondered when it would be sold.

what are you going to do with 1 rai if not open some business? Seems like an overkill for just one house. at least to me.

yeah the whole island is in the hand of very few families so thats not surprising.

Good luck

I know also this plot.

I'd bet more on Thong Nai Pan Yai.

On the west coast the sea goes in summer back very far.

At some beaches of the west coast you can then look for shells and can not swim all year.

It is good that you have the backing of the native family of your wife.

If the 10 million plus house is not your whole pension / retirement money, go for it.

In an emergency, do not expect that you can resell your plot quickly.

Agree on the not selling quickly.. Sales can easily take 3-5 years on the island

Also bear in mind that selling and repatriating the money back to your home country can be difficult or impossible.... Is possible for house build costs using a fetf form when bringing in the money... Not the land purchase money because, of course, you never own the land... You wife will....

• 2 weeks later...

Ignore all the rubbish and incorrect comments... As I am sure you will

I am in exactly the same position as you but without the big pockets hahaha... I have spent the last 3 years looking at lands on the island. If the beach aspect is as you say... Buy it... Poor beach land on Phangan can fetch 8-10m

Forget the lawer bit... Get the wifes family to make local enquiries and look over the chanote very very well... All dire information will be recorded on the chanote.

We have purchased sea view... A quick trip to the land office by wife and seller... Hand over money and taxes... Done in half an hour.... Or you could pay 50k baht to a lawyer to do the same thing....

Do it (and invite me for a drink when the house is complete!)

Good luck

I agree that you don't need a lawyer. When we purchased our property my wife and the seller exchanged house with money at the land office and the following day we went back and the land office helped us with a lease between my wife and I.

10m baht sounds very reasonable for beach front land.

I agree that you don't need a lawyer. When we purchased our property my wife and the seller exchanged house with money at the land office and the following day we went back and the land office helped us with a lease between my wife and I.

10m baht sounds very reasonable for beach front land.

Why the lease?

Thailand Civil and Commercial Code

Book IV: Marriage

TITLE I

Chapter II

Section 1469

"Any agreement concluded between husband and wife during marriage may be avoided by either of them at any time during marriage or within one year from the day of dissolution of marriage; provided that the right of third persons acting in good faith are not affected thereby."

Interesting point... If lease taken by potential husband before marriage then can secure leasehold for 'husband'... After marriage is common property and is divisible since marital property (ie the house... Not land of course if farang) is common property...

Maybe we misunderstand the situational detail...

Interesting point... If lease taken by potential husband before marriage then can secure leasehold for 'husband'... After marriage is common property and is divisible since marital property (ie the house... Not land of course if farang) is common property...

Maybe we misunderstand the situational detail...

Sorry, my fault, I don't know why I said my wife, I should have said gf>

The price seems fair enough, but you will need someone to look after your property, while you´re not there.

Go back and read the post again ! His wife was born there, her whole family lives there, so who else should they get to look after it. Another thing. Those who are giving advice regarding bungalows etc., he just wants a house/home there by the beach . facepalm.giffacepalm.gifrolleyes.gif If i were he, i would buy it , offers like this do not come along every day, especially with the family background.

For a Thai selling to another the price seems high for 1 rai. You can buy on the mainland 3 rai for that price, plus your development cost will be half on the mainland. The other thing is the resale of a house on an island can sometimes be difficult, many people dont want to live on an island. If you are buying for investment and keep the land undevelop, ok, but if you build to live I am not certain. Later in live you need medical care and access to shops without a hassle, which isnt easy on some islands.

You are thinking the Thai factor and forgetting the Farang factor in the deal.