Is this a reasonable price to buy on Phangan

Hi all

Ive been offered 1 rai of beach land on Phangan for 10m baht and cant make up my mind to buy it or not. So kinda looking for some opinions on what people think regarding the price, the location I'm more than happy with.

I feel to get peoples opinion on whether it's a good price/value I need to say which beach it's on, but I don't really want to, so I'll try and fumble around in the dark to give an impression to its location. Its directly on the beach, and when i say "beach" I mean a real one. I'm not talking about 1 Rai on Hingkong or Ban Tai beach, beaches that are only technically beaches, i.e. ones with little sand and are either impossible or unpleasant to swim at. Also its right on the sand, not like on a rocky headland or at the end of the beach where the sand turns to coral, its directly fronts onto white sandy beach with for most of the year has clear clean waters which you can run, jump and dive into, and for the most part there no rocks on the bottom, just clean sand. I don't want to say its exact location, since this requires some discretion, but lets just say it could be ranked the top beach on the Island, but of course that's very subjective. Lets just say if a visiting tourist asked 10 long time falang stayers for the best beach on Phangan, I think a decent number of them would say this beach. I'm just trying to convey that I'm not talking about buying 1 rai on somewhere like Aow Plaayleam for 10m, as that would be totally over priced.

Its chanute, and my wife would buy it (Im a falang from Europe), there is no issue with trust, we've been married over 20 years and dont actually live here but in another country in Asia, Shes from Phangan, born and breed here, knows everyone, like half the Island is her family and all that nonsense. So I don't feel that in anyway its risky to buy it, in the sense that the local Thai seller is going to do a funny one on us, as the seller has known my wife since she was a baby and is from the same village on Phangan. I do know Phangan well, as I lived here permanently for 10 years, but not for the last 12 years although I've come back multiple times per year.

Also I'm not trying to make a business, like I said we don't live here but do come very often like once a month and we would like a private house to call home here and since we only come for long weekends or perhaps a week or so when I take time off work, having a house on the beach where I can swim, with plenty of bars and restaurants to stroll along to during the evening with friends appeals to me enormously. So location wise its perfect.

But its 1 Rai for 10m baht which is not just pocket money, although we can afford it, it's still a lot of money to make a decision upon. I'm getting seriously indecisive since I've been thinking about it for the last two months and just cant make up my mind. And I cant keep the seller waiting for ever, its not fair on them, although they have been kind enough to say they will wait until we give them an answer, as they only want to sell to someone from Phangan who they know.

So my question is what do you guys think?

Do you think its crazy to buy this?

I guess my main question is do you think its way overpriced?

Just hoping someone might be able to put some perspective on this and help clear it up in my mind.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Maybe I am missing something but I thought "beach" could not be owned and that all beach belongs to the big fella?

Yes of course, when I say beach I mean its beach front, the actual beach is public, the front of the land borders the beach.

For a Thai selling to another the price seems high for 1 rai. You can buy on the mainland 3 rai for that price, plus your development cost will be half on the mainland. The other thing is the resale of a house on an island can sometimes be difficult, many people dont want to live on an island. If you are buying for investment and keep the land undevelop, ok, but if you build to live I am not certain. Later in live you need medical care and access to shops without a hassle, which isnt easy on some islands.

You can't own it your name and looking at things how they are developing just now I would wait for a democratic election to take place and proper government elected before investing anything here.

And if you are thinking of just your own use for a house, it's not a good investment IMHO.

I believe how things are developing there will be better offers but regarding the fact that small places are very corrupt, you have no chance making any money.

But up to you, as they say. In my experience nobody ever listens any advice, good or bad. In their case, everything is always different.

Consider also:

1. If your wife dies than what?

2. You said you believe the seller can be trusted...mistake...big one...

3. You seem affluent enough. Why not just rent? I would get really bored on an island after a while. Plus before mentioned lack of services etc.

4. Small community can be good thing or then not. Do you really know the people so well? You might be able to trust your wife but how about the others?

The post is pointless without location.

You also don't Ste wht kind of frontage. 15m beach front stretching way back would not be as valuable as 100 meters obviously.

Also you state nothing about access and whether or not it is drawn into the chanote. Water, electricity etc.

I doubt it will depreciate though unless the neighbors put something beside it that kills the whole vibe.

You have to future proof, consider all the possible ways it can go wrong. And right on the beach there is no real way to do that.

For a Thai selling to another the price seems high for 1 rai. You can buy on the mainland 3 rai for that price, plus your development cost will be half on the mainland. The other thing is the resale of a house on an island can sometimes be difficult, many people dont want to live on an island. If you are buying for investment and keep the land undevelop, ok, but if you build to live I am not certain. Later in live you need medical care and access to shops without a hassle, which isnt easy on some islands.

It is not the mainland. Simple.

All the negative replies are from jealous folk... Go for it but offer them 8mil !

Main land beach front plots in Khanom are going for a lot more than that, seems reasonable to me... I had to buy 500m back from the beach, couldn't afford the sand access :)

The post is pointless without location.

You also don't Ste wht kind of frontage. 15m beach front stretching way back would not be as valuable as 100 meters obviously.

Also you state nothing about access and whether or not it is drawn into the chanote. Water, electricity etc.

I doubt it will depreciate though unless the neighbors put something beside it that kills the whole vibe.

You have to future proof, consider all the possible ways it can go wrong. And right on the beach there is no real way to do that.

At a prime location water and electricity shoudn't be a probelm. But it really depends on the location and the beach front stretching. Could be incredible cheap up to rediculous expensiv, yes, in this sense, the post is pointless.

All the negative replies are from jealous folk... Go for it but offer them 8mil !

Main land beach front plots in Khanom are going for a lot more than that, seems reasonable to me... I had to buy 500m back from the beach, couldn't afford the sand access :)

I haven't read a single "jealous " reply. Stop trying to sound cool.

Maybe I am missing something but I thought "beach" could not be owned and that all beach belongs to the big fella?

That is correct. Legally all beaches are public land in Thailand. Hotels and wealthy individuals rope them off for their private use but that is illegal. The chanote should only be for the land behind the beach.

That is correct. Legally all beaches are public land in Thailand. Hotels and wealthy individuals rope them off for their private use but that is illegal. The chanote should only be for the land behind the beach.

Beaches belongs to Marine Department (at least at Samui and her sisters) and there is public access to most of them, but not all.

The "rule" on Phangan/Samui is, that the owner of a beachfront landplot has the business right to the beach in front; i.e. opening a restaurant and use the beach for tables and chairs, or a resort placing sunbeds on the beach for their guests. If you own a beachfront plot and somebody else wish to use the beach for business, they will not only ask you for permission, but also offer to pay a share; for example will a massage-on-the-beach typically pay the beachfront landowner a share of 50 baht per 1-hour customer.

My decision would be based on my age.

If I was over 50 , I wouldnt bother - particulalrly if I didnt have kids to leave it to .

The main reason is that you wont see much capital gain , and that 10 million youre to spend would buy a lot of rent ANYWHERE.

( Like somewhere with good aged care facilities )

If the wife dies and theres no kids , you havent really got much.

You'd have to sell and move.

I'd keep my disposable income .

Where do you stay now when you are in Phangan ?

It must be quite satisfactory and a lot cheaper.

Archived