Do you find the A pillars on your pickup/car create blind spots?

giddyup

I never noticed it on my old Isuzu D Max, but I find the A pillars on my Mitsu Triton create quite a blind spot. I have to be ultra careful when turning left or right that I check behind those pillars first. They probably aren't any bigger than any other pickup, so I don't know if it's my seating position or what that makes them so intrusive. Anyone else have that problem? BTW, I know just about all A pillars create a blind spot to some degree, but I actually find myself peering around mine, so they are obviously an obstacle.

post-130068-0-99049400-1457522688_thumb.

Edited by giddyup

We have an Isuzu Highlander , yes , a pillar does sometimes obstruct view through side windows .

What matters is that you are aware of it . At angle junctions , or turning around take your time , I always try to right angle my car to avoid a blind spot .

Yes- increased "chunky-ness" in design - largely to give the impression of added safety has led a lot of safety bodies to voice criticisms about many models - cars as well as pickups due to the lack of all-round visibility this results in.

I was very surprised when 1st driving my nieces Fortuner at how dreadfully blocked was my view by the pillar and large mirror.

Chuck on tinting so heavy it turns day to night and a drivers weather shield as well , and I was quite uncomfortable with the experience.

I thought regulations had stopped this sort of safety impediment years back.

Pillars or no pillars doesn't every side mirror have a blind spot......Ie....why some people like to stick on those little ones in the corner to see motorcyclists and cyclists that are so near up on you that they are out of view.(I have actually come across drivers that were not aware of this fact and thought they could see all in the mirror) But I understand you are talking about an "extra' blockage..

Edited by dotpoom

Some older cars had much better visibility than modern cars but styling and crash protection standards have changed. A pillars are much more substantial now and unfortunately create a blind spot. This can be big enough to hide a pedestrian / bike approaching from the right when the pillars are wide, faster / more angled and close to the drivers head. Window tint + tinted wind deflectors also make it worse.

Ever tried using the wing mirrors?

DELETED they still don't overcome A pillar blind spots, as most comments here testify. In fact large wing mirrors can increase the blind spot.

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

they still don't overcome A pillar blind spots, as most comments here testify. In fact large wing mirrors can increase the blind spot.

They can if you adjust them properly. DELETED

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

they still don't overcome A pillar blind spots, as most comments here testify. In fact large wing mirrors can increase the blind spot.

If you can make both the mirrors and the A pillars transparent, but otherwise all the adjustments in the world won't overcome the blind spots.

You seem to have missed the point they are talking about forward looking blind spots.

You seem to have missed the point they are talking about forward looking blind spots.

Don't waste your keyboard time, he won't be convinced no matter what. I provided a photo for goodness sake to illustrate my point.

Edited by giddyup

• 2 weeks later...