What sort of business should I start for my wife?

Rob8891

If OP has to ask members of this forum, he should forget it. He fails to mention the skills/background education of his wife and what she is able to do and what she used to do. Also no mention of the capital input. Does OP think 50K Baht or 50 million Baht? I would estimate ROI to be around 7-12% to a well-managed and kept and thought business if one pulls it through. So for a million Baht one could get 70000-120000 Baht yearly which is not high.

My family has business and at the moment the income is not great. People are not spending. But since we have little expenses, we are okay. It took years of studying the marjet, getting skilled and experience before we got where we are now. Somehow the Op expects his wife being able to score profits from the start? Or do I misinterpret him? I say it takes quite a while before any business makes good return and a lot of patience.

Judging by his lack of input, I believe he is just pulling our leg.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For sure the key is the wife, and her interests....if one can work in an area of life that one enjoys it is not seen as a job....

Your wife might like textiles, or modern fashion, or food, you know what she likes.....work from that.

If a job or business is in a field you do not like or hate then there is no future at all , if however, it is an interest, then anything can happen

I started a thread the other day asking if members would invest in their wife / gf / significant other, and the answers were quite entertaining. There was a sound reason for the question, and following on from some of the more sensible replies, I decided to follow it up in this forum. I could post in the Business forum, but I already have a professional advisor: what I'm looking for here are some alternative perspectives on the matter.

I have recently divested myself of some property back home, and am seriously considering investing the proceeds in a little business for my wife, hopefully to provide something for her should I shuffle off. Now I dont want to say what it is that I am considering just yet- theres no great secrecy, but announcing it could skew potential replies, so please bear with me for the moment.

Imagine you were in my position with a good home in Chiang Mai, the proceeds of the property sale in the bank, two comfortable pensions (with a third on the way next year) backed up by rental income from the home country, a stable marriage with a sensible and mature Thai wife, (no bar time, university education, has worked in offices). I would like to put a couple of very straightforward questions to you:

• What type of activity would you choose to initially finance to provide future employment and income for your wife? Please explain.
  • What would you NOT entertain as a business start-up for her, and why not?
OK, let's hear it.

I think you need to look at your self start a business in thailand you are joking.

It will not work , and you get on here and tell everyone how much money you have you are just showing off.

And then you tells us how smart your wife is and you want to get her a business give me a brake , just let her work at her job and stop trying to think you are Mr big .

You should probably consult your wife about what she is interested in. Turn something she is passionate about into a business. Sounds like you're in a comfortable position. Never invest anymore than you're willing to lose. Investing in a Thai business is like going to Vegas.

Not real sure how to rule in or out every possible business...

location is important for most businesses...

I would look for something in my wife's framework of knowledge and passion - then work from there... for example, if she loves cooking, and is good at it, then understand the commitment and hours involved, look at every aspect, especially potential problems and then decide if it will be worthwhile...

the fact that you are financially secure might open other areas - for example if she is an artist, then profitability may not be as important as enjoyment...

I cannot comment on specifics not knowing the business idea... but if it is a business for your wife, you should let her start it.

good luck

If she has office experience, she could apply for an office job. Regular hours and steady money might suit her. Having her at home outside office hours might suit you too.

If she is dead set on starting a business and wants to make money from the start, a food stall is a solid option. Start-up costs are very low and 1,000 baht a day profits are normal - even in a non-prime location. This generates twice the income of an office job but it involves hard work and long hours. Not everyone is cut out for this - especially pretty girls.

Farang-style businesses requiring significant capital always seem to fail (unless their principle purpose is money laundering). If she is agitating for you to set her up with this kind of operation, it makes good economic sense to offer her a monthly stipend instead.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mind games.

I pay my wife not to go to work. I'm her full time job. The house, shopping, meals, bills, everything. I don't do a <deleted> thing. We joke that she should operate the buttgun for me.

She is madam. She doesn't have to work. She has me.

A business is an enormous pain in the butt for little money, very little money in Thailand. It simply isn't worth it. She's exhausted at the end of the day and nothing gets done around the house.

I hear guys complain about their lazy wives here. Because many of us were instilled with a work ethic we think the TG should be working.

I was caddying at 13 and never stopped working hard till I was 59. I can afford to have a gorgeous young wife who doesn't work.

From what you've written, you do too.

why does one need to pay their wife a salary? or whatever to not work?

in thailand it does not take a whole lot to acquire a wife-gf as there are zillions looking for someone to support them

you consider housework the priority in your relationship over lets say her personal achievement at a profession?

OP wrote

"1sensible and 2mature 3Thai wife,"

not sure you can use those 3 terms together in a sentence.

the average university education is not exactly equal to that in say korea, japan, uk. exceptions duly noted as many medical and dental graduates do well on G7 exams and training abroad

All I can do here is to refer to my signature... it reads loud and clear what I am thinking in regards to this thread.

If she's really that well educated, etc. - she HERSELF should have a very good idea of what she'd like to do. She should have a hobby and have certain dreams about what SHE WANTS to do. The very fact that you ask complete strangers the question what you should build up as a business for your wife shows that neither you nor her have invested any thoughts into this question at all, so why should others??????????????

Man, sometimes... facepalm.gif

Probably depends on her education, job and skills. Can you share a bit more about her profession and education? For example if she is a teacher, you could open a tuition shop, if she is an accountant, you could start say a loan business etc etc.

First of all, lets get the relationship sorted out before you commit a mountain of money.

Wife as in happily married, or some recent "on and off" again relationship?

Edit. Oops "a stable marriage with a sensible and mature Thai wife", from your OP.

Ok, sorry. Up to you, but I still wouldn't do the massage thing.

Edited by sipi

I started a thread the other day asking if members would invest in their wife / gf / significant other, and the answers were quite entertaining. There was a sound reason for the question, and following on from some of the more sensible replies, I decided to follow it up in this forum. I could post in the Business forum, but I already have a professional advisor: what I'm looking for here are some alternative perspectives on the matter.

I have recently divested myself of some property back home, and am seriously considering investing the proceeds in a little business for my wife, hopefully to provide something for her should I shuffle off. Now I dont want to say what it is that I am considering just yet- theres no great secrecy, but announcing it could skew potential replies, so please bear with me for the moment.

Imagine you were in my position with a good home in Chiang Mai, the proceeds of the property sale in the bank, two comfortable pensions (with a third on the way next year) backed up by rental income from the home country, a stable marriage with a sensible and mature Thai wife, (no bar time, university education, has worked in offices). I would like to put a couple of very straightforward questions to you:

• What type of activity would you choose to initially finance to provide future employment and income for your wife? Please explain.
  • What would you NOT entertain as a business start-up for her, and why not?
OK, let's hear it.

I think you need to look at your self start a business in thailand you are joking.

It will not work , and you get on here and tell everyone how much money you have you are just showing off.

And then you tells us how smart your wife is and you want to get her a business give me a brake , just let her work at her job and stop trying to think you are Mr big .

see, i didnt get that impression at all.

perhaps the issue is not that he thinks hes mr big, but that deep down, when the room is dark, the house is quiet, and you lie in bed, you feel that you are mr small.

Edited by HooHaa

Don't really understand your problem. You say you have 2 good pensions with a 3rd on the way so if legally married if you die your wife will get the spousal support from the 3 pensions so why should she need to work ? Especially since you say the home your living in is all paid for .

First of all, lets get the relationship sorted out before you commit a mountain of money.

Edit. Oops "a stable marriage with a sensible and mature Thai wife", from your OP.

I wouldn't let you massage me anyway....no doubt ur hands would roam all over my tender bits....bloody animal 555

I wouldn't let you massage me anyway....no doubt ur hands would roam all over my tender bits....bloody animal 555

And I have a special tool just for the job.

Don't really understand your problem. You say you have 2 good pensions with a 3rd on the way so if legally married if you die your wife will get the spousal support from the 3 pensions so why should she need to work ? Especially since you say the home your living in is all paid for .

He's saving up to buy me a new Cessna.

post-53176-0-47529100-1457672779_thumb.p

If she is the typical uneducated isaan girl you are limited to fruit selling or some other small trade business.

If you are in this forum asking members for advice on what business you should start for your wife than it is safe to assume she is jobless and most likely does not have any business experience or provably an education.

I would suggest selling fruits or some other low skill activity.

Hopefully you are not another dumb foreigner who will build a hotel or some other business that take a large investment and give to the village wife ro run.

If she is the typical uneducated isaan girl you are limited to fruit selling or some other small trade business.

If you are in this forum asking members for advice on what business you should start for your wife than it is safe to assume she is jobless and most likely does not have any business experience or provably an education.

I would suggest selling fruits or some other low skill activity.

Hopefully you are not another dumb foreigner who will build a hotel or some other business that take a large investment and give to the village wife ro run.

Some of them actually do it more than once. For example I know of one guy who meets women from questionable backgrounds and buys them businesses, cars, gold and so forth, afterall why wouldn't you, it's love isn't it? No, right.

So after doing it once and getting milked for all his worth, he scurries off to his dark dingy sheethole in Europe somewhere where he bitterly slaves awAy in his role as a salesman, spending all his waking hours tipping folk off or posting his woe is me tails on Internet forums.

After a few years of saving and scraping by, with his only downtime being the time he stuffs his cheeks with takeaway food and cheap booze before he bundles up his latest fortune of 20,000 quid and gets his 300kg ass onto the first budget flight out of Europe, landing into swampy in the wee hours and taking a cab ride directly to his favourite hunting grounds somewhere along Soi Hansum Man. Before you know it, he's snaveloed another keeper and is racing northbound into Issaan to set up a new life of loves do happiness. The only guarantee being is the situation will repeat itself time and time again.

......stupid is as stupid does.

One problem also is that if things don't go well you might start calling her nasty names behind her back on anonymous internet forums.

Sorry, I forgot the emoji. whistling.gif

Edited by sipi

One problem also is that if things don't go well you might start calling her nasty names behind her back on anonymous internet forums.

Sorry, I forgot the emoji. whistling.gif

Or you could take to writing books about her or better still just slag off against an entire nation of folk.

From years here, I would say few of the Thai wives want to work. Why marry someone you can hardly talk to.

.,share few interests with

Years older than you, who can't stay in the house when you cook fish, who, when you go out with him and

his friends you are bored to death, why go to work? Isn't being married to you enough work?