Receiving Us$ Checks From The States

roamp

far easier to have them deposited to a US bank account and withdraw the funds electronically

but ys the mail is fairly reliable and you can deposit them to Thailand bank account but the delay on clearing them can be up to 6 weeks.

Edited by jdinasia

Unfortunately you will, unless they are pension cheques. I have been depositing company cheques with the Bangkok Bank (Thapae) for years, up till six months ago, when they decided not to accept them. After calling head office in Bangkok (who will accept them) I was told it was at the discretion of the branch manager. After speaking with the manager at Thapae, he finally agreed to process them, but wanted US$30 per cheque!! I told him a change in my personal banking was long overdue, and closed my account.

The Bank of Asia is very good with cheques, but I ended up going to the Siam Commercial Bank, as they were just that little bit more friendly.

I wish you the best of luck...MM

far easier to have them deposited to a US bank account and withdraw the funds electronically

but ys the mail is fairly reliable and you can deposit them to Thailand bank account but the delay on clearing them can be up to 6 weeks.

this is correct based on my personal experience.

if you can not have them deposited automatically in a stateside bank have the checks sent to the address of a friend and they can then deposit them for you. just write on back, 'for deposit only' and drop in the over night deposit slot. then transfer by wire to thai.

but be aware you will need to set up the wire transfer authorizations with your bank in the states before you come here. you don't need a bank account here in order to set up the authorizations there.

For the few times I have gotten checks sent to me here in Thailand, I have just signed the back along with "for deposit only" with my US bank account number, put it into an envelop and sent it off to my bank in the USA. There has been no problems and I can easily spend the money here with my Visa/ATM card. The Bangkok Bank branch I have an account with will take it, but the service fees are much too high and it takes 4 to 6 weeks for the check to clear.

For the few times I have gotten checks sent to me here in Thailand, I have just signed the back along with "for deposit only" with my US bank account number, put it into an envelop and sent it off to my bank in the USA.

Same here. Payments for software I sell come by check to Thailand and I turn around and send them to my bank in the US. 4 years and no problems.