Engine Break-In Procedures

canthai55

Much controversy on this subject. Back in the day when dinosaurs roamed the earth - the days of cast iron piston rings - the procedure was much different than what is recommended with new manufacturing techniques and materials. I have used the procedures described in the link below since Moly rings made an appearance. All my new bikes and cars for the last 15 years I have done the same. Now have 6 bikes here, none use a drop of oil - or leak any. All have good power.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I followed the linked method [street option] for breaking in my cbr150 recently after ring job.

So papa obviously gives the guy credence, do to his experience level & mechanical rational/theory & dyno/race data.

However he makes some recommendations that papa can't totally buy.

Like: 'for street break-in, must run up full throttle (bwwaAAAA) and down (compression) thru the gears 2, 3, 4, repetitively.

Fun, but wouldn't it work just as well just staying in one gear, say 2nd,

running up-n-down there?

Functionally similar to his dyno-test method.

papa bought a new Ford car a while back in States.

No mention of any break-in in the extensive owners manual.

Oh, don't forget to put a small niobium magnet on the drain plug to sequester any ferrous particles floating by.

5 5

Edited by papa al

2nd and 3rd paragraphs both refer to the standard manufacturers owner manual break in method.

Tbh I am not sure if his method is the best or not but have serious doubts to his claims that the hard break in described leads to the dramatic increase in power and less engine wear he suggests.

Each to their own. In my life Ive had 5 brand new motorcycles and Ive run 4 of them in fairly much as to the manufacturers guidelines. Yes, all of them hard accelerate now and then but no more than 3/4 throttle, decelerate and never sit too long at the same rpm. Results perfect ...couple of examples:a gsxr1100 1986 one of the first in UK would pull 163mph and no oil leaks or excessive usage, sold with 25000 miles on the clock still good. A honda wave in Thailand now 8 years old will pull 121kmh on the clock and yes it is bog standard with 55000 ks on the clock and no oil leaks or top up required between oil changes and oil changed every 2500 kms. So my fifth new bike is work in progress and ill stick to the way I do it .... worked well so far.