Feel the heat: Phuket hotter, drier – but no drought, says TMD

snoop1130

Feel the heat: Phuket hotter, drier – but no drought, says TMD
The Phuket News

post-249866-0-29620400-1457703439_thumb.
Water reserves are expected to last until the annual rains arrive in May. Photo: The Phuket News / fie

PHUKET: -- Showers are expected to dampen the dust across Phuket this weekend but will likely be the some of the last rain the island will see before the Thai New Year Songkran festival, the Phuket weather chief said today (Mar 11).

“We expect the weather to get hotter during this time of the year, which is normal especially in April with the average temperature around 36-37ºC,” Phuket Meteorologist Department Director, Wiwat Intarapanich told The Phuket News.

“Phuket will get some thunder showers this weekend, followed by more heat after that. We won’t see rain again maybe until the end of April.”

Despite little rainfall replenishing natural water reserves since the start of the year, Mr Wiwat was confident current reserves will be enough to see residents and tourists through until the seasonal rains arrive in May.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/feel-the-heat-phuket-hotter-drier-but-no-drought-says-tmd-56570.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-11

Hm if there is no drought then why does the government supplied water have basically zero pressure and most of the time is completely off for more than one week already in my area? Thought they are trying to save water. Luckily the house has a tank as buffer.

"which is normal especially in April with the average temperature around 36-37ºC" says Phuket Meteorologist Department Director, Wiwat Intarapanich.

Where is he getting these figures from?

There's no way the average temperature in April (or any other month) is 36-37ºC. In fact it's almost unheard of for the temperature to hit 37.

Many years ago I stood on an island right in the middle of that dam in the picture. Every year we have the same discussions and every year the rains come in time.

If you drive around the island you'll see plenty of lakes that have water.

How water is fed to homes is the problem, there is much need for infrastructure of that nature. I would think that many of the lakes are on private land the same as the many tin mines that are full of water, probably a good source of income for some at times like this. There is no lack of water on this island it depends greatly on where you live.

Maybe with all the taxes that they collect they could spend it on important things like this instead of dolphin statues, view points, stainless steel barriers everywhere etc etc etc

On the subject of temperatures, I can only go on the one in my car, it's been showing between 34 and 38 for many days. I try to keep out of the sun from 11am, I used to laugh at the Thai's wearing jackets and long sleeve shirts (when i was a tourist) but living here I now understand.

It would be interesting to know how many tourists visit the hospitals with bad burns, I've seen some painful looking sunburn around recently.

As I understand it, less rain is expected this rainy season so the real effect of the drought

will not be felt until next dry season. If those predictions are correct Thailand is in big trouble.

I guess we will know by next October. To be on the safe side I hope they cancel Songkran

celebrations in Pattaya immediately. tongue.png