Bangkok warehouse raid nets 10 million baht of fake electronics

rooster59

Bangkok warehouse raid nets 10 million baht of fake electronics
Thaivisa Reporters

post-247607-0-69883800-1457770908_thumb.

BANGKOK:-- Crime Suppression Division officers seized 10 million baht's worth of fake headphones and other electrical goods in a raid on a Bangkok warehouse on Friday.

A total of 87,000 items were found as a north eastern man employed to look after the place was taken in for questioning. The mastermind behind the operation is still at large.

Officers and police from the Jakrawan and Bang Pongpang stations led by officer Sanit Mahathaworn raided the premises at Soi Pirom in the Jakrawan area and found 30 'Beat' headphones, 17 Apple headphones, 7,500 fake iPhone chargers and around 80,000 other untaxed telephone accessories. The haul has an estimated value of 10 million baht.

Discovered at the scene was Surin native Mr Ariya Inkhaw who said he was hired to facilitate deliveries and look after the warehouse.

Police said that Mr Ariya gave evidence he was hired by a man called "Hia Kiak" to wait for people coming to collect merchandise at the godown or warehouse for which he was paid 12,000 baht.

The goods were set to be distributed throughout the country. Charges related to the importing and distribution in Thailand of the fake products are pending.

Meanwhile police are seeking the mysterious Hia Kiak, believed to be owner of the stash of goods for questioning.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-12

I'm not a policeman. Have zero law enforcement training and admit to being a bit dim most of the time. Every province has a police station, regular markets selling similar products and much more. Visit these markets and copied goods, copied cd/dvd's, illegal taxi drivers, illegal workers, tax dodgers' and more.

Odd that a nondescript warehouse on a backstreet should be raided for illegal merchandise. When it would be very easy to pop to the local market to net a far bigger haul.

If a hypothetical law enforcement office went to a hypothetical market and saw a hypothetical stall selling hypothetical illegal goods and did nothing about it. Wouldn't that hypothetical office be guilty of dereliction of duty?

Just of to the weekend market to stock up on the latest Hollwood blockbusters, and new (highly dangerous) iphone charger for my 5 year old kid.

Something smell off don't it?

In this and similar raids, who is it that estimates the apparent value? And on what basis are they valued?

Let me see. Tot up the various different items, assign a value to each type of item. And add it all up. To, in this case, a nice round 10M baht. Lovely headline!

Value? Take the Apple headphones for example. Is the "estimated" value used the price of Apple headphones in an Apple store - clearly this would be wrong because you are going to the market to buy it, not the Apple store. So is the value used in the estimated 10M baht what they would be sold for at the market? This would mean they have to send a minion down to the market to ask the price at stall A, haggle a bit and come up with a real price. Then off to stall B and repeat the process, etc. Obviously the result of that little survey would be a value that is much less than the Apple store sales price, and a value you could use to "estimate" the value of the total haul.

You know, I think it's all a big load of rubbish! I'm sure they don't do that. I'd reckon someone just grabs a number, any number, and that's the value!

South east/north east Asia has always been a hotbed for counterfiet goods, well as far back as I can remember, touching 40+ years. It will not/never change, go to any (farang/thai/asian) market and you can buy what you want. If it is not on display, there are always 'secret' doors where you can get exactly what you want and at a fraction of the 'designer' label prices .... usually sourced from the same place.

Edited by South

If they pop down to MBK ..the place is full

Funny you say that.

3 weeks ago I went to buy some headphones and I wanted real ones.

It was about 11am and most of the stalls were all covered up with lots of people milling around.

I asked if it was too early. Why are all the stores closed? They told me that they were about to get raided so they were all closed and hiding stock in innocuous other stores so nothing would be found.

The next day I went and its very difficult to actually find real headphones - went to Siam Paragon - a few great stores there.

I'm not a policeman. Have zero law enforcement training and admit to being a bit dim most of the time. Every province has a police station, regular markets selling similar products and much more. Visit these markets and copied goods, copied cd/dvd's, illegal taxi drivers, illegal workers, tax dodgers' and more.

Odd that a nondescript warehouse on a backstreet should be raided for illegal merchandise. When it would be very easy to pop to the local market to net a far bigger haul.

If a hypothetical law enforcement office went to a hypothetical market and saw a hypothetical stall selling hypothetical illegal goods and did nothing about it. Wouldn't that hypothetical office be guilty of dereliction of duty?

Just of to the weekend market to stock up on the latest Hollwood blockbusters, and new (highly dangerous) iphone charger for my 5 year old kid.

Something smell off don't it?

No the enforcement officers purchase the same fake goods for themselves in the markets.

It´s dangerous to sell copy fake electronics. Soon we won´t be able to use cellphones in airplanes because of all the cheap copy stuff.

It´s allready going on for li/ion batteries.

But without cheap copycopy thailand will loose many tourists who go elsewhere to buy it. So it will never be banned.

Myself i want only real electronics, don´t want to have the house on fire because of it. So i buy it all overseas.