Is the phillipines a bad country to visit

Food is great. Just because a person doesnt like it does not mean its "dog food". Quit acting like poop holes people. If rather eat PI food than Thai food any day.

Agreed. Talking about any national cuisine in such a way is retarded on an international forum. A lot of members on here think only Farang from a limited number of countries post here... with no thoughts about how Filipinos may feel if they read this thread, and they do read here.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't care if anyone insulted my country's cuisine - England. It's internationally known for being bad. So is Filipino food, but I'm sure some like it.

Filipinos are waaayyy too sensitive about any criticism of the country, maybe even more so than Thais. They blacklisted the guy who made the video '20 things I hate about the Philippines', mostly standard complaints like littering, and men pissing on the streets. They should learn to accept criticism.

Having said that I wouldn't call it 'dog food', I'd be more constructive and say it's extremely fatty and vinegary, overly fried, etc. and it really shows in the girls' waistlines, you'll see way fewer tight stomachs as compared to Thai girls.

Edited by jspill

I wouldn't care if anyone insulted my country's cuisine - England. It's internationally known for being bad. So is Filipino food, but I'm sure some like it.

Filipinos are waaayyy too sensitive about any criticism of the country, maybe even more so than Thais. They blacklisted the guy who made the video '20 things I hate about the Philippines', mostly standard complaints like littering, and men pissing on the streets. They should learn to accept criticism.

Having said that I wouldn't call it 'dog food', I'd be more constructive and say it's extremely fatty and vinegary, overly fried, etc. and it really shows in the girls' waistlines, you'll see way fewer tight stomachs as compared to Thai girls.

So now you're suggesting a country of 100 million should change their attitude toward criticism? Filipinos are Filipinos and behave like Filipinos... they ain't changing to suit you. Perhaps you should become more sensitive? If you start criticizing Thailand and Thais you'll meet severe backlash too... sensitivity is quite common the world over.

There's a big difference between saying something like "I'm not into Philippine food" and saying that it's worse than dog food, don't you think? One is a subjective, personal assessment, the other is downright insulting and rude.

About the England thing - perhaps you don't care what people say about English cuisine, but I'm sure many do. Personally I don't mind English or Philippine food, I've just got to pick my dishes.

Regarding girls with "tight stomachs"... get out of the big cities and you'll see plenty.

Edited by tropo

So there is such a thing as Filipino apologists too, who'da thought it?

The food sucks. By far the worst in the region. It's not the locals fault, given the layout of the country if you live on a small island with no way to exchange provisions then all you have to work with is what grows on your little island, so their food culture never evolved past the primitive level it's still at. There's only so much you can do when your entire choice of herbs and spices consists of salt, pepper, vinegar and garlic. But the locals are happy with bad food cuz it's all they know, even their local fast food chains suck, look at how low grade JollyBee is and they love it.

l always work with Filipinas around the world and they are fantastic cooks when they have the resources to do it. Like I said earlier, they are the most talented people on the planet, however their local cuisine is appalling and anyone defending it is probably only doing so because they are married to a local and feel that it's their duty to stick up for their spouse.

I like PI, I like the people and I dont care about the food.. I can cook from the supermarkets myself.

Infrastructure is indeed poor and unreliable.

No more crime in most places than anywhere else in the World. You have to take your wits with you wherever you travel.

I am in Thailand but if I was forced to move countries PI would be my first choice.

Beautiful islands, fantastic beaches and lovely welcoming people.

Weather can be shitty though, I helped in Manila ( Yes, stay away from here!) during the storms a few years back.

Poverty is like nowhere else I have seen.

Spent a couple weeks in Manila and the island of Palawan. Manila is the densest city of the planet, that has its good and bad areas (more bad then good I found). I met a couple of retirees in the city on my adventures that lived in the country and they didn't mind visiting the city time to time because they were hardly any foreigners around (possible for a reason). I personally that most of the city (haven't seen every part!) was full of poverty but I enjoyed my few days there in areas like Makati and even parts of Chinatown. Filipino food is no match for Thai food (my favorite) but Filipino food does have some really tasty dishes like chicken adobo!! full of flavor and chili. I really enjoyed my time on the island in Palawan as there was many untouched islands, uncrowded beaches and very friendly people. I will definitely be back to the Philippines!!

I like Filipino food. I like Thai food better. I like Korean food better. But I do like Filipino food. I find it strange that lots of people here are saying it's not good. I cook mostly Thai food at home, if I cook at all. I'm often lazy and will do the American ham and cheese sandwich thing often enough.

FWIW, I have no choice in what I eat for lunch in Japan, it's delivered and distributed. No one special orders or brings a lunch, and only maybe once a week do I actually like it. It's dirt cheap though. Like US$2 or less for a full meal, but 4 times out 5, if not less often, I find Japanese food incredibly boring. I've taken to bringing Sriracha sauce to work with me to dump in my soup. >_> Sushi, teriyaki, and and what-not are actually incredibly rare special things in Japan. People do not eat them every day.

I like Filipino food. I like Thai food better. I like Korean food better. But I do like Filipino food. I find it strange that lots of people here are saying it's not good. I cook mostly Thai food at home, if I cook at all. I'm often lazy and will do the American ham and cheese sandwich thing often enough.

FWIW, I have no choice in what I eat for lunch in Japan, it's delivered and distributed. No one special orders or brings a lunch, and only maybe once a week do I actually like it. It's dirt cheap though. Like US$2 or less for a full meal, but 4 times out 5, if not less often, I find Japanese food incredibly boring. I've taken to bringing Sriracha sauce to work with me to dump in my soup. >_> Sushi, teriyaki, and and what-not are actually incredibly rare special things in Japan. People do not eat them every day.

I find most Filipino food, or at least the soups & stew-type stuff, inedible. Am ok with the "plain" stuff like adobo, lumpia, some versions of pancit, bbq, crispy chicken, broiled (or fried or grilled) whole fish, etc... But as picky as I am about it, I wouldn't let the cuisine alone dissuade me from visiting the PI.

I find most Filipino food, or at least the soups & stew-type stuff, inedible. Am ok with the "plain" stuff like adobo, lumpia, some versions of pancit, bbq, crispy chicken, broiled (or fried or grilled) whole fish, etc... But as picky as I am about it, I wouldn't let the cuisine alone dissuade me from visiting the PI.

If the Filipinos had started using copious quantities of chili in their soups and "stew-type" stuff, the world would have been craving Philippine dishes too. That's the only reason Thai food is craved by so many - Chili stimulates the release of the neurotransmitters endorphins (natural pain relievers) and dopamine (responsible for feelings of reward and pleasure) by the brain.

As I'm not addicted to chili, I prefer Philippine food, but I'm not all that fond of either (Thai or Philippine food). I have noticed my family using a lot more chili these days in the Philippines, so the "bug" has been catching on.

Edited by tropo

Look Poor, only have small bills in your pocket, only P4P in good foreign owned night clubs, life is cheaper in PI than in Thailand...............and I'm gonna catch it with that remark, but I lost five acquaintances in Angeles City in about two years. Life is definately cheap in PI.

coffee1.gif sad.png

Look Poor, only have small bills in your pocket, only P4P in good foreign owned night clubs, life is cheaper in PI than in Thailand...............and I'm gonna catch it with that remark, but I lost five acquaintances in Angeles City in about two years. Life is definately cheap in PI.

coffee1.gif sad.png

You certainly have had bad luck with your acquaintances. I've never had an acquaintance disappear. I'd agree that life is cheap, but I don't see how you make a comparison as life is pretty cheap over here in Thailand too. IMO they respect foreigners far less over here.

Thats always been my main worries about PI , I want to visit one day , but it seems to me that foreigners can not be left alone , what happens if you walk alone in the streets of Manila or Cebu . In Thailand I can walk in any soi and feel safe , even if I walk alone , at least during day time.

ATMs do not have security guards with guns in Thailand , apparently in PI you would not be safe without an armed security guard near by .

Edited by balo

Thats always been my main worries about PI , I want to visit one day , but it seems to me that foreigners can not be left alone , what happens if you walk alone in the streets of Manila or Cebu . In Thailand I can walk in any soi and feel safe , even if I walk alone , at least during day time.

ATMs do not have security guards with guns in Thailand , apparently in PI you would not be safe without an armed security guard near by .

I'd rather ATM's have security guards with guns. Bear in mind that ATM's in Philippines are not normally free standing machines in the middle of nowhere. They are normally outside the entrance of banks so the guards are not there especially to guard the ATM. You'll find free standing machines in shopping malls without guards if you're really nervous about guns.

I'd rather ATM's have security guards with guns. Bear in mind that ATM's in Philippines are not normally free standing machines in the middle of nowhere. They are normally outside the entrance of banks so the guards are not there especially to guard the ATM. You'll find free standing machines in shopping malls without guards if you're really nervous about guns.

But that explains the difference between Thailand and PI a bit, don't you agree? Plenty of guns in Thailand as well but they are not visible among security guards outside malls or banks. But I am sure it's safe to walk alone in most areas , but PI would not be on top of my list.

But that explains the difference between Thailand and PI a bit, don't you agree? Plenty of guns in Thailand as well but they are not visible among security guards outside malls or banks. But I am sure it's safe to walk alone in most areas , but PI would not be on top of my list.

We need to put this into perspective. In most countries there are places one should NOT walk around and are likely to meet trouble, even in the West. Most places in the Philippines, outside densely populated cities, you can walk around in total safety for a lifetime without trouble. The business districts of Manila (Makati) and Cebu are quite safe to walk around. I don't know who would want to walk around slums in other less safe areas, in the tropical heat. Find a pleasant tropical island and/or beach, of which there are thousands, and enjoy a stroll along the beach instead.

OK, they have armed security outside banks - that's the way they do it in PI. Unlike most Western countries where banks don't hold much cash in order to lower the risk of armed robbery, the banks in PI carry a lot of cash. It's still mainly a cash society.

Angeles City has been mentioned here. Well, that's where all the scum from all around the PI come to meet the sex-tourists (also considered scum). Sex-tourists have a very poor reputation in the PI and no one tends to shed a tear at their demise. Unlike in Pattaya, there are no real tourists in Angeles City, only (nearly exclusively) men going there to meet bargirls. There are no sites to see other than Mount Pinatubo. Yes, if you go there watch your back. Best not to walk.

Perhaps you missed it, but Davao City in Mindanao (2nd largest city in PI) is touted as one of the safest cities in the world (top 5 on some lists). If you are going to visit Mindanao it would be recommended to stay away from Muslim dominated areas - West and South West areas on the island.

I don't feel unsafe in the PI, but certainly there are areas I would stay away from, but these areas are of no interest to anyone anyway. I most definitely would recommend people visit the PI and tour around. It's a great country to visit.

Edited by tropo

Yeah, cuz it's normal to have to go through an X-Ray machine and past several heavily armed security guards as part of your night out, really gives the impression that Manila is a safe haven. No doubt that a certain Philippines apologist will get very upset and report this post because it isn't saying that Manila is the best place ever, but yes Pl cities suck, the Islands are a different world altogether and I'd planned to move to Borocay at one point but in doing so I would have to suffer the most horrible cities, infrastructure and airports in the world. Also as pointed out before, Philippine's food is some of the worst cuisine in the world. So the answer to the OP, the Philippines is a wonderful country to visit if you go to an Island or just anywhere other than Manila, and if you can find an international restaurant on that island. If you only plan to go to Manila then yes it is a bad country to visit.

If anyone goes to PI make a point to go to MoalBoal on Cebu.i had the best swimming/snorkeling experience in my life. There is a 200 ft wide reef and I'd swim against the current for 3-4 kilometers rest on beach and swim back with current. I moved so fast that the reef was a blur. Great exercise and views

Yeah, cuz it's normal to have to go through an X-Ray machine and past several heavily armed security guards as part of your night out, really gives the impression that Manila is a safe haven. No doubt that a certain Philippines apologist will get very upset and report this post because it isn't saying that Manila is the best place ever, but yes Pl cities suck, the Islands are a different world altogether and I'd planned to move to Borocay at one point but in doing so I would have to suffer the most horrible cities, infrastructure and airports in the world. Also as pointed out before, Philippine's food is some of the worst cuisine in the world. So the answer to the OP, the Philippines is a wonderful country to visit if you go to an Island or just anywhere other than Manila, and if you can find an international restaurant on that island. If you only plan to go to Manila then yes it is a bad country to visit.

You just can't let it go. You've had many baiting posts deleted already and you're coming back for another shot.

Disagreeing with your assessments of the Philippines doesn't make me an "apologist". That's just a word you use in a feeble attempt to give your comments some validity.

There's good and bad in every country. Taste in food is subjective and you don't like it - we get it.

What does coming on here and continually repeating the same negative comments over and over make you? A Philippines basher with an agenda.

Now please go away. There's no need for your hatred here.

You just can't let it go. You've had many baiting posts deleted already and you're coming back for another shot.

Disagreeing with your assessments of the Philippines doesn't make me an "apologist". That's just a word you use in a feeble attempt to give your comments some validity.

There's good and bad in every country. Taste in food is subjective and you don't like it - we get it.

What does coming on here and continually repeating the same negative comments over and over make you? A Philippines basher with an agenda.

Just because somebody has a different opinion to you doesn't make them a troll or a baiter. I've said since the beginning that I had one of the best times of my life in the Philippines and I had planned to live there until I accidentally lived in Thailand, so I am not a basher or have an agenda, unlike you who refuses to admit there is anything wrong with the country and it's totally perfect because you have to defend your wife's home country. Manila sucks, the food sucks, the people and the islands are amazing however. Plan your trip around this OP.

Just because somebody has a different opinion to you doesn't make them a troll or a baiter. I've said since the beginning that I had one of the best times of my life in the Philippines and I had planned to live there until I accidentally lived in Thailand, so I am not a basher or have an agenda, unlike you who refuses to admit there is anything wrong with the country and it's totally perfect because you have to defend your wife's home country. Manila sucks, the food sucks, the people and the islands are amazing however. Plan your trip around this OP.

If a person has a different opinion and then gets labelled as an "apologist" because his opinion is different, that's sarcastic baiting.

Also, claiming that a person who is married to a Filipino is defending everything about the Philippines just because he is married to a Filipino is insulting... that's also baiting.

Did you think to consider that I live with my wife in Thailand? Would that suggest to you that I think the Philippines is perfect? Of course not.

However, after spending 10 years in Thailand we are considering relocating back to PI. Our Thailand honeymoon is well and truly over.

Unlike you, I have lived in both countries for extended periods of time, so I'm in a very good position to make valid comparisons.

Taste in food is subjective. I prefer Filipino food over Thai food and cook it myself. That doesn't make me an apologist... however, even when I'm living in PI I prefer to make Western food if I can find the ingredients. When I'm in Manila I don't eat Filipino food. Usually Italian, Japanese or some other cuisine. If you're in the big cities you don't have to eat Filipino food. There are many very good Chinese restaurants too, for people that way inclined.

not a place worth the airfare to visit unless your going for cheap women and cheap beer. too many better alternatives around.

How about naming a few of the "too many better alternatives around" so we can assess the accuracy of your claim.

There aren't too many countries in the region where the people are as pleasant and welcoming to foreigners... none that I can think of. Communication is easy as English is widely spoken. There are endless tropical islands to explore if scuba diving, water sports and beach vacations are your thing.

(Yikes! Here I go apologizing again.biggrin.png )

not a place worth the airfare to visit unless your going for cheap women and cheap beer. too many better alternatives around.

How about naming a few of the "too many better alternatives around" so we can assess the accuracy of your claim.

There aren't too many countries in the region where the people are as pleasant and welcoming to foreigners... none that I can think of. Communication is easy as English is widely spoken. There are endless tropical islands to explore if scuba diving, water sports and beach vacations are your thing.

I came across your posts during a brief Google search and I thank you for them..

I did join this forum a few years ago but didnt bother posting because of the derogatory comments (about R.P) usually based on ignorance from certain western travelers that probably have only ever made it to Thailand.

Certainly,The Phils, is not for everyone just as Thailand is not..

We have been travelling here as well as other countries in Asia for 35 years but finally settled here in Bohol (central Visaya`s) for almost 10 years now..

This thread is just full of old passed on hearsay and cliches from the Thailand only brigade I reckon which is a shame since the O.P could really have benefited from your more informed comments..

If he or anyone else is seriously thinking about visiting the R.P then its probably a better idea to ask us expats on the ground... There are plenty of R.P based expat forums based in Cebu,dumaguete,Bohol,Baguio,Manila or just general R.P forums etc that are much more able to provide ACTUAL information then can be found here..

If I want to know more about Thailand,the last place I will ask would be the aforementioned..

I haven't been to Thailand for around 18 years now and based on some of the idiots that have posted here I may never return!! I think I prefer it when I only had to deal with the locals!!!

Cheers!!

I came across your posts during a brief Google search and I thank you for them..

I did join this forum a few years ago but didnt bother posting because of the derogatory comments (about R.P) usually based on ignorance from certain western travelers that probably have only ever made it to Thailand.

We have been travelling here as well as other countries in Asia for 35 years but finally settled here in Bohol (central Visaya`s) for almost 10 years now..

This thread is just full of old passed on hearsay and cliches from the Thailand only brigade I reckon which is a shame since the O.P could really have benefited from your more informed comments..

If he or anyone else is seriously thinking about visiting the R.P then its probably a better idea to ask us expats on the ground... There are plenty of R.P based expat forums based in Cebu,dumaguete,Bohol,Baguio,Manila or just general R.P forums etc that are much more able to provide ACTUAL information then can be found here..

If I want to know more about Thailand,the last place I will ask would be the aforementioned..

I haven't been to Thailand for around 18 years now and based on some of the idiots that have posted here I may never return!! I think I prefer it when I only had to deal with the locals!!!

Cheers!!

You're welcome! As you can gather, if you say anything good about the Philippines on this forum, particularly about its food, you'll end up with the label "apologist", but to fair (and balanced), you'll soon end up with a similar label if you're too favourable toward Thais. The safest way is to say nothing good about anything at all.biggrin.png

I like Bohol. I've spent some time there scuba diving and ventured to the Chocolate Hills on a number of occasions. We have a house not too far away from Bohol, near Ormoc City. We were wiped out by Typhoon Yolanda as our house was hit by the eye. How's that for luck... being in the eye of the strongest typhoon ever to hit land.sad.png It even took down a concrete church opposite our house.

Cheers!!

You're welcome! As you can gather, if you say anything good about the Philippines on this forum, particularly about its food, you'll end up with the label "apologist", but to fair (and balanced), you'll soon end up with a similar label if you're too favourable toward Thais. The safest way is to say nothing good about anything at all.biggrin.png

I like Bohol. I've spent some time there scuba diving and ventured to the Chocolate Hills on a number of occasions. We have a house not too far away from Bohol, near Ormoc City. We were wiped out by Typhoon Yolanda as our house was hit by the eye. How's that for luck... being in the eye of the strongest typhoon ever to hit land.sad.png It even took down a concrete church opposite our house.

Sorry to hear about your house...That storm was meant to hit us directly here but turned off North the day before it hit the east coast..

Mother nature though had its way with us here in Bohol as you probably know..Fortunately our place is not on the fault line.

See!! There`s two things the R.P does better than Thailand...Earthquakes and Typhoons..

Hopefully its enough to scare away all these pussy whipped Thai expats for a few more years!! LoL.

Edited by gumacanian

I know the people are friendly , just the food that we are not so sure about , and security. But any tips is appreciated . ALso if you feel you have to pay more as a foreigner when you go to the local market and shops. Do they treat you different just because they think you have more money than the locals ?

I know the people are friendly , just the food that we are not so sure about , and security. But any tips is appreciated . ALso if you feel you have to pay more as a foreigner when you go to the local market and shops. Do they treat you different just because they think you have more money than the locals ?

No, I believe it's harder in Thailand to get local prices. Something about the Thai culture and religion doesn't make them feel as guilty about lying. I'm not talking about bargirls, I'm talking about regular people - had to make that clear.smile.png

I've always paid the standard price at markets... back in the days when I actually went there. I now let the mrs or family do that. Where you live could make a difference. If you're in a heavily touristed area they'll be more scam artists. I live in a place which never sees tourists and always pay the right price for everything.

The Philippines is a huge assortment of islands, languages and culture. Unlike Thailand, there's around 20 different regional languages. I'm not talking about mutually understandable dialects, but distinct languages. Also, the attitude and nature of the people from different islands and provinces varies quite a bit. It's so different to Thailand in so many ways it's hard to make any summary here without writing an essay.

Unlike in Thailand, most Filipinos actually like meeting foreigners and they're intrigued by them. Most families have at least someone they know who lives abroad. It's not a faked friendship in order to fleece you as it is in Thailand.

I feel safe in the Philippines - safer than I feel in Thailand. The main reason is they have more respect for us over there.

There was one down and out Australian guy in our province who had no money (long story - fleeced by a woman he loved - bargirl) and just walked around the country roads for months. He was fed and cared for by locals and eventually the mayor offered to pay for his flight back to Australia. He didn't take the offer and eventually found another woman who loved him (even broke). He found some work helping the mayor and others with Internet and lives happily, no passport, no visa - LOL nobody cares about stuff like that in the provinces.

Edited by tropo

So what you're saying is that the locals in the tourist areas could try to scam you but out in the provinces its much more unlikely, just like in Thailand. I have never been scammed in Thailand, but I also try to find out about the local prices in the area I live in .

But I do not agree with you about Thais are more dishonest than Filipinos. You will find dishonest people anywhere, even if the religion is different , the catholics can make as many lies they want one day and ask for forgiveness the next day .

So what you're saying is that the locals in the tourist areas could try to scam you but out in the provinces its much more unlikely, just like in Thailand. I have never been scammed in Thailand, but I also try to find out about the local prices in the area I live in .

But I do not agree with you about Thais are more dishonest than Filipinos. You will find dishonest people anywhere, even if the religion is different , the catholics can make as many lies they want one day and ask for forgiveness the next day .

How could you possibly have an opinion on who's more honest unless you've spent a great deal of time in both countries.

Never been scammed in Thailand or you've never been aware of it?