Is the phillipines a bad country to visit

Many people i've talked to, and from what postings i've seen on here it would key word here Appear that no one recommends going to the phillipines or at least in very particular terms manila, constant themes and discussions that come up are that its dirtier than bangkok, more crime than bangkok, more beggers than bangkok, horrible food, lots of security guards with M-16 and also Very dangerous in some places in manila.

Based on these comments I don't have a positive image of the phillipines. Lots of people definetly don't recommend even going. Do many of you share the same bad experiences or bad opinions of the phillipines. What exactly beyond what i have mentioned is also bad about the phillipines.

Are there any good things about the phillpines or good places to visit?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BGC in metro Manila is a nice place to live if you have to work here -as I do about 4 months a year, but Manila is in general an utter crap hole.

It also has some of the most expensive utilities in the region.

Had one of the best 3 months of my life in the Philippines about 8 years ago. Spent a month in Boracay and was sure I would end up living there, alas on my way back to the Philippines about 6 months later I stopped in Thailand for a week and ended up living there for 6 years.

Manila is one of the worst places I've ever been, horrible dirty place that has no centre and is just streets full of security guards brandishing all sorts of assault weapons. Cebu is much better but still much worse than any cities I've been to in Thailand.

The best thing about the Philippines is the people, they are the friendliest and most talented people in the world and I've made much closer friends there in 1 week than I did in Thailand in 6 years. The worse things about the country is it's a pain to go anywhere and to book tickets as most places don't take credit card and you cannot book over the phone, you have to go to Manila to book and pay for flights, and Filipino food is terrible. The Adobo is nice as long as you carry a bottle of hot sauce around with you at all times but apart from that the local cuisine is pathetic.

For me, Thailand is a much better place all round but the Philippines has the much better people.

Beats me why people keep on about the security guards being armed in the RP. Yes, they are armed, but they dont use the guns unless there is a robbery.

In the same way Brits are sometimes surprised that all US and French police are armed. It's the same: they are armed but they don't use the guns unless they need to.

I spent years in Manila and never saw anyone fire a gun (except during the "revolution" that ousted Marcos).

Beats me why people keep on about the security guards being armed in the RP. Yes, they are armed, but they dont use the guns unless there is a robbery.

In the same way Brits are sometimes surprised that all US and French police are armed. It's the same: they are armed but they don't use the guns unless they need to.

I spent years in Manila and never saw anyone fire a gun (except during the "revolution" that ousted Marcos).

First time I ever saw a machine gun was on my arrival in Frankfurt. 1982.

In the PI, every guard has a shotgun, or something. Guns are everywhere. I didn't like Manila, but loved Cebu, Bohol, and surrounding islands. Great places to visit. And dive!!!

Phillipine Air does the last leg, which ever way you look at it.

Boracay, Good - go there by boat.

Mindanao Islands - Abu Sayef country, a must avoid for most normal people.

Cebu - massive poverty contrasted with high walled and expensive resorts on Mactan Islands, not pleasant.

Baquio (sp) in the North I'm told is pleasant.

Good English language skills by the natives, very religious, men are mostly lazy, native food is worse than Purina.

Poor infrastructure, A to B takes years, very poor medical care and much corruption amongst polise! Cheap accommodation, mongers paradise, far too many guns being carried by locals for my liking.

Go there, see it, it's an interesting experience, really.

Watch out for "pickpocketer" and "hold upper"….and the occasional guy who wants to shoot you to death.

Terrible food…worst cuisine in the world….balanced by some of the loveliest girls you've ever met…way more engaging than their thai sisters.

Poor infrastructure everywhere you go.

The dregs.

Verdict: meet filipina girls outside the phils…they all want to get the hell out anyway.

Edited by JHolmesJr

Had one of the best 3 months of my life in the Philippines about 8 years ago. Spent a month in Boracay and was sure I would end up living there, alas on my way back to the Philippines about 6 months later I stopped in Thailand for a week and ended up living there for 6 years.

Manila is one of the worst places I've ever been, horrible dirty place that has no centre and is just streets full of security guards brandishing all sorts of assault weapons. Cebu is much better but still much worse than any cities I've been to in Thailand.

The best thing about the Philippines is the people, they are the friendliest and most talented people in the world and I've made much closer friends there in 1 week than I did in Thailand in 6 years. The worse things about the country is it's a pain to go anywhere and to book tickets as most places don't take credit card and you cannot book over the phone, you have to go to Manila to book and pay for flights, and Filipino food is terrible. The Adobo is nice as long as you carry a bottle of hot sauce around with you at all times but apart from that the local cuisine is pathetic.

For me, Thailand is a much better place all round but the Philippines has the much better people.

Agreed. The people are so friendly, and it's great that almost everyone speaks English.

Also, the signs are 50/50 Tagalog and English and in the same size. none of this tiny little English sub-text under traffic signs.

A friend who when recently confirmed armed guards at most of the convenience stores and infrastructural problems. Regular internet blackouts for 6-8 hours a day are not uncommon in some places. The prices are mostly the same as Thailand, if not a little more for the same creature comforts. Nice people with decent english. But would not chance anything too valuable there (expensive laptop, camera, etc), so he cut his trip short after a couple of months.

I hope to visit one day myself. No one says anything about Angeles City? Seems to be one of the more *interesting* cities.

Edited by 4evermaat

My 3 favorite sites:

- Sagada in northern Luzon

- Talisay with its volcanic island with a new small lake

- The many marine spots in Palawan.

As said above fat, sugary and cloying overall cooking, filthy Manila filth, ugliness and poverty, beggars, garbage and plastic bags everywhere, but ...

The friendliest people I've met, applicant women in all public pollack in each island little corners of beach that call to play Robison.

Finally I came back to Thailand but I always keep a sweet nostalgia for this country.

post-234089-0-88054600-1457914657_thumb.

Also, the signs are 50/50 Tagalog and English and in the same size. none of this tiny little English sub-text under traffic signs.

When it comes to place names and other such information the whole sign will be in Latin script which is eminently readable and pronounceable by anyone who can read and pronounce English. Indeed in many cases the words will be of Spanish or English origin anyway.

This makes the RP much simpler than, say, Thailand or Cambodia or Vietnam or Myanmar.

Well, as a Brit, the simple answer is because we never see guns in our country and there is pretty much zero gun culture in the UK with regular citizens. The only times you will usually see guns are on police or security at an airport. So when we walk down a street in Manila and outside every single shop has some young guy holding a loaded shotgun or AK-47 then we tend to feel a bit uncomfortable, not too complicated about that really. TBH after about a week in Manila I started to feel safer knowing that if I ever got into any trouble then somebody with a gun will be about 6 feet away who could maybe help, that's also the standard pro-gun argument too, right?

As stated above there are some negatives to consider in the Philippines but the people are more friendly there, english is everywhere (spoken, signs,documents, etc.)

There are so many beautiful, uncrowded beaches there compared to Thailand. The best thing I like about the Philippines is the government wants tourist's and retirees as the visas are so easy to get there. Give it a go.. just stay out of Manila.

In the PI, every guard has a shotgun, or something. Guns are everywhere. I didn't like Manila, but loved Cebu, Bohol, and surrounding islands. Great places to visit. And dive!!!

Yes, me too, Frankfurt 1982, it was an eye opener, i arrived there and me 5 feet tall and the Germans,

skyscraper tall, and they had dogs too, happy to leave, but Manila = toilet i'm afraid.

There are loads of beautiful places to visit in manila and like any other city there are places you don't want to be after dark and some place you don't want to be with out a local with you during the day. There are many great places to eat some cheap some expensive some middle of the road you just need to know where to go however in general the food is not as good as Thailand.

Yes even the the McDonald's security carry pump action shot guns and in some cases M4's rarely M16's barrel is to long for a McD :),, guns are visible everywhere but you get used to it mostly its for your protection in the event of a robbery.

There are over 7000 islands to visit and beautiful old cities the country is steeped in history you just need to read up on it and make a travel plan just be street wise and don't be stupid if its to good to be true it usually is. Working here 2 1/2 years back and forth to Thailand and never had an ounce of trouble, in saying that if trouble is what your looking for it wont be hard to find,, Most people speak English so its easy to get around

that is my 10 cents worth coffee1.gif

As stated above there are some negatives to consider in the Philippines but the people are more friendly there, english is everywhere (spoken, signs,documents, etc.)

There are so many beautiful, uncrowded beaches there compared to Thailand. The best thing I like about the Philippines is the government wants tourist's and retirees as the visas are so easy to get there. Give it a go.. just stay out of Manila.

Not true about Visas at all!Visa for retirees are much more expensive than in Thailand(almost 10 times more) and it is much harder to open bank account in Philippines.Utilities are very ,very expensive there(4 time more at least).Internet is very slow! Rental rate are mostly higher as well.Food is in general terrible comparing to Thailand.Only sea food barbecue can be very delicious!People are best part indeed and almost everybody speak a pretty good English as well! Girls are OK and very open to foreigners and drinking is cheaper there!

It is much better to live in Thailand ,but Philippines are good destination for fun too!!!

The diving is the best in the world, greatest variety of sea life in the world.

The streets and cities are the dirtiest I've ever seen.

I'm not sure that having a gun deposit booth at the entrance to shopping centres provides anything other than a concern for safety outside as there are always a lot of bags there giving an indication of the number of hidden hand guns.

Not unusual for random people to die when Philippine police (and others) fire their guns off in "celebration" at times like Christmas, they forget that what goes up must come down :( or even how far a bullet will travel.

No inexpensive hotels that I ever saw 1,000 pesos and up.

The only 2 seasonings are garlic and salt, so after about 2 or 3 days you will want to eat foreign food

Edited by sometimewoodworker

I spent more than a week in the PH this past August. I was there specifically to visit a friend who lived in Rizal, north of central Manila. My view point is: Manila is a mixed bag. There were some amazing colonial era areas in Intramuros, but otherwise, I strongly disliked Manila. For that matter, I strongly dislike Bangkok. I love Chiang Mai, so that probably tells you my biases right there. I traveled all the way up to Rizal to see my friend, who lives in a non-tourist area and, she has told me that while she is rather lower-income in Japan (she is half-Japanese, half-Filipina), she would be considered quite well off in the Philippines, and growing up in the Southwest US, it reminded me a lot of the Ciudad Juarez/El Paso area, just without the obvious national boundary. The extremes between rich and poor neighborhoods were beyond in your face, and to get to Rizal meant my taxi service drove through a lot of areas with a level of poverty I had only seen in Juarez. Bangkok, which I spent hours walking through did not have such stark distinctions, and Chiang Mai seems extremely prosperous, even overtly hispterish and gentrified in comparison. I would not recommend Manila for those who cannot handle in your face poverty and wildly obvious income inequality.

I spent the rest of my time on a tiny island off Cebu called Malapascua, and it was largely very nice. I did walk into the central village, but even there, while the standard of living was definitely "developing nation" it was not the kind of abject poverty of Manila. One thing that bothered me, was the children who attempted to sell stuff during the day. I know they go to school in the morning, but it still bothered me that they weren't getting a solid, full day education. I understand the economic reasons for this, and I tried not to be overtly annoyed by it, but it did bother me.

In my view, I enjoyed my time in Chiang Mai significantly more than I enjoyed any of my time in the PH, but I also had a better time at the beaches of Malapascua than I did at any of the beaches I went to in Thailand (and admittedly, I never got to the southwestern areas, so that's part of it). Also I like Filipino food. But I went largely to see my friend, and I admit, I probably wouldn't have considered the PH a destination at all if I hadn't desperately wanted to see her, as she is only coming back to Japan in the next couple of weeks after nearly a year in the Philippines. I missed her, and seeing her was worth the trip.

Edited by Caitrin

I've been going since 1978 and it only gets worse by the year....the word "entitlement" comes to mind and into play all the time....the PI folks think you owe them something once you set foot in the country.....like we visitors are suppose to take care of them?????

I've just returned from way down South.....Butuan, Tandag, Britana Island......sad to say it rained almost every single day and the food was the worst........disgusting actually....cut my trip short to get back to LOS....?

It is not a bad country but not safe. I was in Angeles City for 10 days , after 3 days I was bored. No place to visit. No good food. Lots of poverty and obvious unsafe. Every hotel, disco, bar, etc had a gun man to secure the premises. Everyone said don't go to Manila because it is not safe and very dirty. May be you can visit different city just for a couple of days and see for yourself if you like it. Many German live there.

Not true about Visas at all!Visa for retirees are much more expensive than in Thailand(almost 10 times more) and it is much harder to open bank account in Philippines.Utilities are very ,very expensive there(4 time more at least).Internet is very slow! Rental rate are mostly higher as well.Food is in general terrible comparing to Thailand.Only sea food barbecue can be very delicious!People are best part indeed and almost everybody speak a pretty good English as well! Girls are OK and very open to foreigners and drinking is cheaper there!

It is much better to live in Thailand ,but Philippines are good destination for fun too!!!

Mostly what he said. It is much easier to stay there and extend your visa. But I did not realise visas were so expensive. I thought they were pretty cheap. The TV's anyway, that you can extend for over 2 years without leaving. There are some beautiful islands though, but still a lot of poverty. Boracay is not for me. Very pretty, but very expensive and overcrowded.

The PI is certainly worth a visit and more so if you don't have to go to Manila.