Drought in Thailand continues to reduce water reserves

webfact

Drought continues to reduce water reserves

THAILAND, 14 March 2016 (NTT) - The current drought has affected the agricultural sector across the country, as natural groundwater resources are in sharp decline.

Phayao Governor Supachai Iamsuwan has called an emergency meeting with related agencies, after surveys revealed that water levels at Phayao Lake have declined to only 13.6 million cubic meters. The province fears that the amount will not be sufficient for irrigation from now until the upcoming rainy season.

Mr Supachai called for agencies such as hospitals, schools and temples to resort to using groundwater for the time being.

Meanwhile in Uthai Thani province, the drought has significantly reduced the province’s water reserves, especially in rivers passing through Khok Mo Subdistrict of Thap Than district. The Khok Mo Municipality had deepened the river banks to install additional water pumps, but expects to extract no more than two weeks' worth of water, due to the small amount left in the river.

The province has called on residents to use water efficiently, while authorities have dispatched 6,000-liter water trucks to distribute water to the public at 120 baht per trip.

Director-General of the Department of Internal Trade Wiboonlasana Ruamraksa recently visited markets in Bueng Kan province to ensure that the drought has not impacted vegetable production. The price of limes is expected to rise to five baht per piece.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-14 footer_n.gif

I am not worried as the Government promised there would be NO water shortage,

and they have never bothered to cancel Songkran so everything MUST be OK......right facepalm.gif

regards Worgeordie P.S. I wonder if they factored in evaporation

And every day I see the orbortor is sending out water trucks pouring 1000s of liters on the bougainvilla in the central reservations all around town.

Surely if they want the public to use less water, doing so themselves would be a start.

Edited by LivinLOS

A drought in any country tends to reduce water reserves , the question is what is the junta administration doing about it and what long term forward planning is being done , like desalination and recycled water , Christ I'm getting sickin tired of continually repeating myself on this subject, are the lights on at Junta headquarters ......................coffee1.gif .

And every day I see the orbortor is sending out water trucks pouring 1000s of liters on the bougainvilla in the central reservations all around town.

Surely if they want the public to use less water, doing so themselves would be a start.

For ordinary watering they normally use waste water (not industrial waste water).

strange its a plant that looks best neglected totally and not watered suits it just fine.............I never water mine and they look great......got a 50metre hedge of it.

A drought in any country tends to reduce water reserves , the question is what is the junta administration doing about it and what long term forward planning is being done , like desalination and recycled water , Christ I'm getting sickin tired of continually repeating myself on this subject, are the lights on at Junta headquarters ......................coffee1.gif .

yes but it aint hydro electric supplying them, i believe they run on hot air here

I am not sure you can be too hard on the Thais (Well of course you can) but the Japanese cannot manage earthquakes, the UK and much of Europe cannot manage floods, Oz cannot manage fires, nor the US and they can't manage the NY temperature either. Even if rich countries throw money at the problem it does not really help. Of course here any money thrown at a problem has a strange way of disappearing as it does in countries supposed not to be corrupt. Here the Thai Metereological buffs have been promising rain for days. It did rain yesterday. About 0.0001 miliilitres in the bottom of a jamjar. Might have been condensation or fish sauce, of course. I agree that in a while the whole kingdom may well be underwater and then what moans. When are they proposing to move the bum, I mean seat, of government out of the rapidly sinking Mahaetc.BKK?

The problem they should be preparing for are the upcoming floods, as the current El nino period ends with record breaking rainfall!! Watch this space.

That is assuming that the "upcoming rainy season" actually "upcomes". Judging by last year it may be no more than a trickle.

and they have never bothered to cancel Songkran so everything MUST be OK......right facepalm.gif

Most of these dams are silted up and from the top it may look as if there is water available but in reality much less. The irony is that not one town in this country have imposed strict water restrictions. In HH a rich billionaire filled up a new water park that dwarf the existing two floating markets and the two old water parks (look at google maps on soi 112 - a very big blue swimming pool).

One of the most overlooked issues in Thailand is maintenance, and I believe proper dam maintenance involves dredging. It will be interesting to see if there is any silt accumulation in these dams that drastically reduces the water estimate at some point.

Distribution pipes leaking.

A bigger problem.

Most of these dams are silted up and from the top it may look as if there is water available but in reality much less. The irony is that not one town in this country have imposed strict water restrictions. In HH a rich billionaire filled up a new water park that dwarf the existing two floating markets and the two old water parks (look at google maps on soi 112 - a very big blue swimming pool).
I don't know about HH but in Lampang they cut off the water during the night from 20:00

Also have lowered the pressure.

Makes sense as most people have tanks, you cut down on the leaking in distribution.