Expats: Where Have You NOT Been in Thailand?

Fabricus

In 8 years, I've never been to Isaan, Kanchanaburi, Koh Yao (Yai or Noi) nor Koh Phi Phi.

Of those, I really should go to Isaan, keep planning a trip to Udon and the surroundings, should probably go to Kanchanaburi, and have no interest in going to Phi Phi. Will head to Koh Yao one day, but no rush.

I just finished a 1,500km road trip through the mountainous areas of northwest Isaan, and found it was one of my favourite parts of Thailand after over a dozen years of extensive travel throughout the Kingdom:

I discovered southern Nong Khai, Loie, Phetchabun, and Chaiyaphum provinces. A lot of out-of-the way jewels to discover (waterfalls, unique resorts, camping, higher altitude flora such as pine trees, good restaurants, a few spectacular temples, overall great scenery), and cooler weather as a bonus. People in these areas are genuinely friendly, trusting, and helpful (as opposed to the tourist-hardened locals of touristy places). Accommodations range from camping and rustic cabins to five-star resorts. Overall, excellent roads as well.

One caveat is that the entire area is geared to Thai tourists, so brush up on your Thai and don't expect the American Breakfast everywhere you go. In 10 days, I think I saw no more than five foreigners (mainly at some of the more spectacular temples), but I learned a LOT of new Thai vocabulary. Much of the signage is only in Thai. There were NO foreigners at any of the resorts I stayed at. Somehow that appeals to me--seeing "Unseen Thailand" more as the Thais do. The fellow tourists were as pleasant as the hosts. Not something I've often experienced in the islands, Pattaya, Bangkok, etc.

I highly recommend it, and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Edited by Fookhaht

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lived here over 10 years. Been to all the places previously mentioned, EXCEPT for Kanchanaburi. Recently crossed it off my list after recently reading how overrun it has become by tourists, touts, noisy floating restaurants/bars, unchecked growth, etc.--basically diminishing the solemn, reflective place that it should be. Just my slightly-informed opinion. Anyone want to try to convince me to go?

I'd say you were misinformed.

Not exactly a convincing argument, Plato!

My sources were reviewers on Agoda and TripAdvisor, and articles in the Bangkok Post. One such article followed the local government's efforts to regulate the out-of-control 200+ floating bars/discos that boom noise and techno all night long, to the point that tourists staying at resorts and hotels on land can't get proper rest or just peace and quiet.

BTW, T.A.T.'s rosy-tinted glasses online propaganda can't be trusted, as I've discovered over the years.

Any specific information from your knowledgable reservoir and experience you would care to share beyond the pot-shot?

Edited by Fookhaht

Been in LOS for almost 14 years and have never made the trip to the Deep South........too big of a target...?

Me neither, just too much trouble down there in the deep south. I do however have been to probably 90 % of the other provinces in Thailand, there are plenty of beautiful sights to visit though I suggest to stay away from some of the really busy tourist spots due to over development, pollution and rip offs.

Lived here over 10 years. Been to all the places previously mentioned, EXCEPT for Kanchanaburi. Recently crossed it off my list after recently reading how overrun it has become by tourists, touts, noisy floating restaurants/bars, unchecked growth, etc.--basically diminishing the solemn, reflective place that it should be. Just my slightly-informed opinion. Anyone want to try to convince me to go?

One of my favourite places to visit up that way is Sai Yok Raft resort up in the national park. I would definitely put it on the list to visit Kanchanaburi. Do a 3 day package with a group of friends. Visit the Japanese spa built during WW2 & Hell fire pass etc.

I've lived here permanently over 14 years & been in and out 8 years before that. I've never been to Koh Tao, Krabi or Phuket.

Been in LOS for almost 14 years and have never made the trip to the Deep South........too big of a target...?

Chiang Mai is way more dangerous, a traffic accident every 6 minutes, with deaths everyday.

That few innocent bombs in the far south are nothing compared to the big dangers of Chiang Mai.

One of my favourite places to visit up that way is Sai Yok Raft resort up in the national park. I would definitely put it on the list to visit Kanchanaburi. Do a 3 day package with a group of friends. Visit the Japanese spa built during WW2 & Hell fire pass etc.

I've lived here permanently over 14 years & been in and out 8 years before that. I've never been to Koh Tao, Krabi or Phuket.

Sounds great! Thanks.

In 8 years, I've never been to Isaan, Kanchanaburi, Koh Yao (Yai or Noi) nor Koh Phi Phi.

Of those, I really should go to Isaan, keep planning a trip to Udon and the surroundings, should probably go to Kanchanaburi, and have no interest in going to Phi Phi. Will head to Koh Yao one day, but no rush.

I just finished a 1,500km road trip through the mountainous areas of northwest Isaan, and found it was one of my favourite parts of Thailand after over a dozen years of extensive travel throughout the Kingdom:

I discovered southern Nong Khai, Loie, Phetchabun, and Chaiyaphum provinces. A lot of out-of-the way jewels to discover (waterfalls, unique resorts, camping, higher altitude flora such as pine trees, good restaurants, a few spectacular temples, overall great scenery), and cooler weather as a bonus. People in these areas are genuinely friendly, trusting, and helpful (as opposed to the tourist-hardened locals of touristy places). Accommodations range from camping and rustic cabins to five-star resorts. Overall, excellent roads as well.

One caveat is that the entire area is geared to Thai tourists, so brush up on your Thai and don't expect the American Breakfast everywhere you go. In 10 days, I think I saw no more than five foreigners (mainly at some of the more spectacular temples), but I learned a LOT of new Thai vocabulary. Much of the signage is only in Thai. There were NO foreigners at any of the resorts I stayed at. Somehow that appeals to me--seeing "Unseen Thailand" more as the Thais do. The fellow tourists were as pleasant as the hosts. Not something I've often experienced in the islands, Pattaya, Bangkok, etc.

I highly recommend it, and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Yes, I like doing stuff like that. Even going around places like Supanburi or staying in a resort along the river in Chachoengsao. Even these places are not exactly 'off the beaten track' but are pretty much Thai visited places, hardly an expat in sight.

Pattaya or Phuket. Never had any reason to, really.

I would strongly encourage you to check out Pattaya.

No one has seen Thailand until they've seen Pattaya!

You may love it, you may hate it, but you won't deny it's one of the most bizarre places on the planet.

I've been there twice and am shocked that such a place can even exist. But it does exist, and every year attracts thousands of men from all around the world.

Go there. See it. It's as mediocre as hell, but extremely interesting. Enjoy!

Ooh i've been to Pattaya and Nana and anywhere i could have some fun

Took the hand of a hi-so lady and made love in the sun

Ooh i've been to Roi Et and to the isle of Phuket

Where i sipped Beer Chang on Karon, then headed north to Ranong

I moved like MJ in KK (Khon Kaen) and showed them what Boycie's got

I've been undressed by a princess and seen something that shouldn't be, (in the town of Krabi)

I've been to paradise, but i've never been to Phi Phi biggrin.png

I've never been to Bangkok. I've always imagined it to be too noisy, polluted and chaotic to be enjoyable. Have I been missing out? Should I make a visit?

It's awesome. The pollution isn't as bad as people make out, and the noise and the chaos are part of the fun!

SoiBiker: Take note of an intelligent, helpful, and convincing post. Edited by Fookhaht

SoiBiker: Take note of an intelligent, helpful, and convincing post.

Ok, dad.

When you been here Long Time I find I go to these New Places only to find them like the last one,so I look for Leo Beer Can and wait for them to look at the same again.There is normally another Ferang waiting ,just as bored..

I'd certainly agree with you as far as Thai towns go, one is pretty much indistinguishable from another.

Never been to Similian islands.

Spent every winter,3 months at a time in the 80s checking out every island from koh Chang to Phuket.

Koh Nang Yuan was my favorite!

Next favorite was kata Noi but back then there wasn't anything on Karon or Patong.

Phi phi I went fishing and we caught two sail fish and a boatload of snapper,cost $10 for each of the four of us.

Never been to Similian islands.

Spent every winter,3 months at a time in the 80s checking out every island from koh Chang to Phuket.

Koh Nang Yuan was my favorite!

Next favorite was kata Noi but back then there wasn't anything on Karon or Patong.

Phi phi I went fishing and we caught two sail fish and a boatload of snapper,cost $10 for each of the four of us.

Just googled Koh Nang Yuan. I'd not heard of it before. I see now it's north west of Murder Island.

If you're interested in fishing there was a wonderful story in the papers recently about a baby whale shark caught in Songkhla. The fishermen netted it by mistake and then released it.

A long time ago whale shark sighting were quite common around the Similan Islands and Richelieu Rock, but these days are quite rare.

Edited by Fabricus

In 11 years i have never been to Pattaya. Nor do i wish to. Im not knocking it, but it's not really my idea of a fun place.

I have a friend who finds this fact unbelievable.

i used to live on koh samui. i never wanted to come to pattaya then a business came up here and now it is the only place i would live in thailand, well jomtien anyway.