Is it just me ?

These kinds of topics always bring out the Thailand bashers. Maybe I am just lucky but I have never had any problems at the immigration office in Chiang Rai. Okay, I did sign the copies with the wrong color ink one time but that is the extent of our problems.

I believe that in this instance the Thai bashers can be justified. The problem is that in many regions they just make their own rules up. There is no compulsion to adhere to a national standard and no apparent penalty for deviation. You can go in with your paperwork perfect according to the government website and be told that certain things are not necessary or that "we require" this or that.

In my local immigration office I expect I will be asked for a 5 diseases medical certificate (the same as for a Driving license) when I lodge extension of stay papers next month They did last year. Why? Quite simple. Because we require it here!!! End of story. Go and get it!

OP didn't say how old he is, but I have been told, that if you are over 50, they really do prefer if you would get the retirement visa and not the marriage one.
It is a LOT easier for them (and you of course) (except for the extra 400,000 baht needed in the bank)

And they like easy.

So, they tend to make you jump through a bunch of hoops to: "Get your mind right" as they say in "Cool Hand Luke"

• Like 1

I am sure we have all heard the horror stories but in my experience most of those stories come from the same people who have difficulties wherever they go and with whomever they interact. They tend to be quite vocal and tell their tales of woe to everyone who will listen.

Perhaps there are these hateful Thais you speak of but I simply don’t encounter them. In fact when I see other foreigners acting up I am quite surprised by the patience and restraint displayed by the Thais on the other end of their histrionics.
  • Like 2

I understand that many want to blame the officials when things go wrong but I look at it differently. If two people go to the same office, deal with the same officials, ask for the same extension but end up with different results, what has changed in this equation? Whether it is preparation, attitude, appearance or a multitude of even more subtle things, it is the foreigner who is the variable while the immigration officer is the constant.

Since things can and do change from year to year I make no assumptions and always drop by a week or two in advance to get all the necessary forms and find out if they want anything new this year. I am the one asking for the privilege of living here so I figure the burden is on me to meet the requirements set forth by the government.

Rereading the OP is sounds like he misunderstood what the official was asking for but I was't there so can't say for sure. I can only say that I have not had similar requests so feel there must have been some miscommunication.

The "privilege of living here". You think it is a privilege that a country allows one of their own citizens husband/wife to reside in the country on a temporary 1 year basis? I would say this is pretty much the absolute least a country could do for their citizens husband /wife.

• Like 1

I understand that many want to blame the officials when things go wrong but I look at it differently. If two people go to the same office, deal with the same officials, ask for the same extension but end up with different results, what has changed in this equation? Whether it is preparation, attitude, appearance or a multitude of even more subtle things, it is the foreigner who is the variable while the immigration officer is the constant.

Since things can and do change from year to year I make no assumptions and always drop by a week or two in advance to get all the necessary forms and find out if they want anything new this year. I am the one asking for the privilege of living here so I figure the burden is on me to meet the requirements set forth by the government.

Rereading the OP is sounds like he misunderstood what the official was asking for but I was't there so can't say for sure. I can only say that I have not had similar requests so feel there must have been some miscommunication.

The "privilege of living here". You think it is a privilege that a country allows one of their own citizens husband/wife to reside in the country on a temporary 1 year basis? I would say this is pretty much the absolute least a country could do for their citizens husband /wife.

If one actively dislikes the "temporary" arrangement the foreigner could arrange to take the Thai husband/wife back to their country of origin.

Obtaining the necessary visas etc may, of course, prove to be more challenging than remaining in Thailand on a "temporary" basis.

I guess I just don’t have strong feelings of entitlement, plus my experience of living here for 20 years on various visas before I finally got married may also affect how I see things.

If one actively dislikes the "temporary" arrangement the foreigner could arrange to take the Thai husband/wife back to their country of origin.

Obtaining the necessary visas etc may, of course, prove to be more challenging than remaining in Thailand on a "temporary" basis.

Yes, they are more challenging you're right, but at least you have the guarantee that once you've ticked all the boxes and overcame all the hurdles, you get something in return that you don't lose.

Here, not only you don't know what boxes you need to tick next month, but you also have the added element of corruption.

Pluses and minuses, but people should look at the big picture and choose what fits them best.

• Like 1

I found it much more difficult to get my wife a visa for my home country than it has been for me here. I should acknowledge that I have never encountered any for of corruption in the visa process. We were forced to go the Green Card route which we later surrendered as proof that we did not intend on living there permanently. Only then did it become possible to get a tourist visa. Government, foreign or otherwise, don't seem to have any obligation to make things easy for us.smile.png

Edited by villagefarang

It's just you this time, but we all get the little EXTRAS from immigration every time we go.

1: Bank book copies not centred - never had a problem - they accept them as is.

2: House number not clear - Never a problem for me as my house has no number on it, the only number is in the blue book. Never been asked for any other photos other than me the wife and the son standing on the staircase outside - I have been doing the same extension for 13 years so maybe they know me now.

3: Bank book has never required a showing of deposit on the same day, as long as it is within 7 days it is normally good to go.

4: Please send us a picture of what kind of stamps the bank is supposed to put in your book? Never heard of this before, my local bank however are totally incompetent and have for the past 12 years issued me with the incorrect statement of balance, last year immigration queried it but pushed it through, this year they refused it and I had to nip out to a civilised branch that wasn't staffed by hicks, to get the correct letter.

Normally, they only want the original bank letter, if you give them the photocopy in CM they hand it back, however, if you don't have the photocopy, they send you out to get one, catch 22 and a no win situation - Just play their silly games and keep smiling.

Lucky man :>)

The stamp on the bank book is just a little circular one with the initials of the person serving me (no copies immigration have them now)

OP didn't say how old he is, but I have been told, that if you are over 50, they really do prefer if you would get the retirement visa and not the marriage one.

It is a LOT easier for them (and you of course) (except for the extra 400,000 baht needed in the bank)

And they like easy.

So, they tend to make you jump through a bunch of hoops to: "Get your mind right" as they say in "Cool Hand Luke"

I have another thread where I tried to have my extension renewal as retirement not marriage and was told there was a new rule and the reason for the extension could NOT be done on renewal. This was frustrating as I had already brought the funds from my home country and even more so is that ion my first extension I was told that a retirement extension would be easier for me but I went with the marriage one as I only had the 400000+ matured at the time. So after a number of attempts, and a call to the Bangkok immigration , I just do what is suggested here and just smile - nod and say sure ... whatever you require. I even had all of my documents recopied at the local copy shop THEY RECOMMENDED

We will be within a few years.....

However, comparing the two would be a stupid thing to do. She will pay a flat fee of $420 for the visa. There will be a green card for her when we get there. And should she choose, she can become a full fledged citizen after 3 years.

Getting her the visa will be no problem. Right now the processing time if roughly 45 days.

Not sure why people keep making it sound as if we are so damn lucky that Thailand let's us stay here as what so many of you refer to as "guests" even when married or have kids. Definitely proud that my country won't treat my wife like that when we move there.

Not to mention.... Your comment really has nothing to do with my original post...... Chiming in and essentially saying "go home" when someone airs a legitimate grievance is pretty silly.....

Tell us all about it after she has got the visa !

I believe many are refused !

We will be within a few years.....

However, comparing the two would be a stupid thing to do. She will pay a flat fee of $420 for the visa. There will be a green card for her when we get there. And should she choose, she can become a full fledged citizen after 3 years.

Getting her the visa will be no problem. Right now the processing time if roughly 45 days.

Not sure why people keep making it sound as if we are so damn lucky that Thailand let's us stay here as what so many of you refer to as "guests" even when married or have kids. Definitely proud that my country won't treat my wife like that when we move there.

Not to mention.... Your comment really has nothing to do with my original post...... Chiming in and essentially saying "go home" when someone airs a legitimate grievance is pretty silly.....

Tell us all about it after she has got the visa !

I believe many are refused !

You believe wrong. Very, very few are ever refused. Tourist visas are a different story (however still a very low refusal rate).

Edited by inbangkok
  • Like 2

@villagefarang, It would be helpful if you could state what color would be deemed not acceptable in Chiang Rai.

I normally use a blue pen, to distinguish against the black form but heard that red color is not appreciated in Thailand?

In Asia red is associated with death and bad luck, no one wants to see their name in red.

Elsewhere significance varies. When I was in the RAF is was often used in aircraft maintenance documents.

@villagefarang, It would be helpful if you could state what color would be deemed not acceptable in Chiang Rai.

I normally use a blue pen, to distinguish against the black form but heard that red color is not appreciated in Thailand?

In Asia red is associated with death and bad luck, no one wants to see their name in red.

Elsewhere significance varies. When I was in the RAF is was often used in aircraft maintenance documents.

Is that why the Air Asia fleet is painted bright red and the cabin staff wear red uniforms ?

• Like 1