Is it just me ?

Went to the local Immigration office to get my second marriage extension. We thought we had everything right. UNTIL...

1. The photocopies we took of the bank book etc were not centered in the page so we have to redo them.

2. The pictures we took of the house and us were not sufficient - One outside the house showing us and the house number - the officer could not read the house number (her eyesight was not good). She showed us another applicants shots which included shots in the bedroom and requested we do the same. More shots were required inside the house from different angles of the main room.

3. The bank book did not have a deposit today - "this is required" she said. The letter from the bank will have to be redone once the deposit has been made and a new photocopy is required ( even though I was issued a new bank book as the old one was full and it had the date of issue etc on it as well as the balance carried forward)

4. All copies of the bank book will have to be stamped by the bank.

All this in duplicate .

Comments please

• Like 2

Last year my bank SCB said I should make a deposit that day when they updated the book and issued letter so must remember again this year. Quite a few posts about the pictures, I got mine due in the next few months so will definitely make sure pictures every room, outside, different clothes, same clothes, smiling, not smiling

• Like 2

@villagefarang, It would be helpful if you could state what color would be deemed not acceptable in Chiang Rai.

I normally use a blue pen, to distinguish against the black form but heard that red color is not appreciated in Thailand?

Edited by ardsong
  • Like 2

1. The photocopies we took of the bank book etc were not centered in the page so we have to redo them.

Petty. If readable should be ok.

2. The pictures we took of the house and us were not sufficient - One outside the house showing us and the house number - the officer could not read the house number (her eyesight was not good). She showed us another applicants shots which included shots in the bedroom and requested we do the same. More shots were required inside the house from different angles of the main room.

Family or couple outside house, next to readable house number, in the house in several rooms (we do living room, our bedroom and kids bedroom with all 4 of us in every shot)

3. The bank book did not have a deposit today - "this is required" she said. The letter from the bank will have to be redone once the deposit has been made and a new photocopy is required ( even though I was issued a new bank book as the old one was full and it had the date of issue etc on it as well as the balance carried forward)

We usually get the bank letter the day before and if we have time we do a minor deposit in to the bank book or a minor ATM withdrawal and show the ATM slip balance and bank letter balance match. Always accepted.

• Like 1

@villagefarang, It would be helpful if you could state what color would be deemed not acceptable in Chiang Rai.

I normally use a blue pen, to distinguish against the black form but heard that red color is not appreciated in Thailand?

Not appreciated everywhere by administration.coffee1.gif

They preferred blue to black. I had signed one in black because I didn't know which color ink was in that pen. I then signed everything else with a different pen but neglected to add a blue signature to the black one.

New this year, I also had to print my name next to my signature. Their explanation made a lot of sense. If a form happens to drop out of the original stack it can be hard to find which file it belongs to since signatures are not always readable. Printing your name on each page makes it less likely things will get lost or misplaced.

Any other questions?smile.png

It's just you this time, but we all get the little EXTRAS from immigration every time we go.

1: Bank book copies not centred - never had a problem - they accept them as is.

2: House number not clear - Never a problem for me as my house has no number on it, the only number is in the blue book. Never been asked for any other photos other than me the wife and the son standing on the staircase outside - I have been doing the same extension for 13 years so maybe they know me now.

3: Bank book has never required a showing of deposit on the same day, as long as it is within 7 days it is normally good to go.

4: Please send us a picture of what kind of stamps the bank is supposed to put in your book? Never heard of this before, my local bank however are totally incompetent and have for the past 12 years issued me with the incorrect statement of balance, last year immigration queried it but pushed it through, this year they refused it and I had to nip out to a civilised branch that wasn't staffed by hicks, to get the correct letter.

Normally, they only want the original bank letter, if you give them the photocopy in CM they hand it back, however, if you don't have the photocopy, they send you out to get one, catch 22 and a no win situation - Just play their silly games and keep smiling.

They always appreciate blue signatures as looks original easily.

Red pen is their audit colour, obviously not correct

keep your cool, just do what they want, if you are properly married, have the required monies in the bank for the required time

& are really living together as a family you will be fine.

Cheers

It is clear that experiences vary depending on the immigration office, specific immigration official you deal with, whether the official is having a bad day, and various other factors. Some have it easy. Some are put through the wringer. I sometimes wonder if the more difficult offices are trying to drum up business for Thailand Elite.

I understand that many want to blame the officials when things go wrong but I look at it differently. If two people go to the same office, deal with the same officials, ask for the same extension but end up with different results, what has changed in this equation? Whether it is preparation, attitude, appearance or a multitude of even more subtle things, it is the foreigner who is the variable while the immigration officer is the constant.

Since things can and do change from year to year I make no assumptions and always drop by a week or two in advance to get all the necessary forms and find out if they want anything new this year. I am the one asking for the privilege of living here so I figure the burden is on me to meet the requirements set forth by the government.
Rereading the OP is sounds like he misunderstood what the official was asking for but I was't there so can't say for sure. I can only say that I have not had similar requests so feel there must have been some miscommunication.
Edited by villagefarang

Well in Australia when you do any legal paper must singn all pages and write your name and must be in black ink.

Any pictures presented with any paper work must be clear and signed on the back.

In some cases your documentation must be endorsed by a justice of the peace or a person selected from specific list like your doctor or a police ...

So I am not surprise at all .......

I always ensure I have all my papers in order ....I ho to immigrations and ask and show what I have.

This way I never get a problem including my visas or any other legal stuff I have to do

For my 90 days report I go to immigrations to ensure is all ok

In summary I allocate 2 or 3 days a year to maintain all my paperwork in order and 1/2day every 3 months.

I have nk problems

• Like 1

Well in Australia when you do any legal paper must singn all pages and write your name and must be in black ink.

Any pictures presented with any paper work must be clear and signed on the back.

In some cases your documentation must be endorsed by a justice of the peace or a person selected from specific list like your doctor or a police ...

So I am not surprise at all .......

I always ensure I have all my papers in order ....I ho to immigrations and ask and show what I have.

This way I never get a problem including my visas or any other legal stuff I have to do

For my 90 days report I go to immigrations to ensure is all ok

In summary I allocate 2 or 3 days a year to maintain all my paperwork in order and 1/2day every 3 months.

I have nk problems

My 90 day report yesterday took all of five minutes. I grabbed a number after lunch and sat down to wait. An officer walked through and asked if anyone was there for the 90 day report. She took my passport and one other. I didn’t even have to get out of my seat until she called me to the counter with the new form stapled in my passport.smile.png

It's just you this time, but we all get the little EXTRAS from immigration every time we go.

1: Bank book copies not centred - never had a problem - they accept them as is.

2: House number not clear - Never a problem for me as my house has no number on it, the only number is in the blue book. Never been asked for any other photos other than me the wife and the son standing on the staircase outside - I have been doing the same extension for 13 years so maybe they know me now.

3: Bank book has never required a showing of deposit on the same day, as long as it is within 7 days it is normally good to go.

4: Please send us a picture of what kind of stamps the bank is supposed to put in your book? Never heard of this before, my local bank however are totally incompetent and have for the past 12 years issued me with the incorrect statement of balance, last year immigration queried it but pushed it through, this year they refused it and I had to nip out to a civilised branch that wasn't staffed by hicks, to get the correct letter.

Normally, they only want the original bank letter, if you give them the photocopy in CM they hand it back, however, if you don't have the photocopy, they send you out to get one, catch 22 and a no win situation - Just play their silly games and keep smiling.

"t's just you this time, but we all get the little EXTRAS from immigration every time we go."

Not sure to whom "we all" is referring. After a decade of retirement extensions I find the process little changed.

• Like 2

I understand that many want to blame the officials when things go wrong but I look at it differently. If two people go to the same office, deal with the same officials, ask for the same extension but end up with different results, what has changed in this equation? Whether it is preparation, attitude, appearance or a multitude of even more subtle things, it is the foreigner who is the variable while the immigration officer is the constant.

Since things can and do change from year to year I make no assumptions and always drop by a week or two in advance to get all the necessary forms and find out if they want anything new this year. I am the one asking for the privilege of living here so I figure the burden is on me to meet the requirements set forth by the government.
Rereading the OP is sounds like he misunderstood what the official was asking for but I was't there so can't say for sure. I can only say that I have not had similar requests so feel there must have been some miscommunication.

Nice post.

• Like 1

Last year my bank SCB said I should make a deposit that day when they updated the book and issued letter so must remember again this year. Quite a few posts about the pictures, I got mine due in the next few months so will definitely make sure pictures every room, outside, different clothes, same clothes, smiling, not smiling

one year I produced a couple pics of the wife and I in less than polite attire in the bedroom. when each officer shuffled through the pics (all women) they all smiled and looked up at us for a second before lingering on the picture a few seconds more.

another year I mistakenly had a photo from a previous year in the batch and the officer spotted it!!! she said I did not look the same. it was true I had shaved my head but my hair is longer now. I had to swap out the odd picture. I always bring a few extras for just such fun and games at Immigration.

My favorite rule is done the first year you go for extension due to marriage. they ask for the marriage documents which are numerous. And then they also ask for the document you have to get from your Embassy stating you are not married or if ever were that you are divorced, which is notarized. This doc is needed at the Ampur to register your marriage and get the certificate. It is actually needed to get married. All the other documents would not be possible to get without this one. It is required the first time you file. I found this out the hard way. They sent me to the Ampur and I asked for it. The girl looked at me with a sad face and said it would take weeks or a month or so to find it upstairs in the massive file cabinets. She asked me what to do. I said I filed it and was sure and had the other docs to show I was registered. She suggested writing a short letter saying they could not find the letter but that they are certain it is in the files. This was accepted at Chaeng Wattana in lieu of that stupid doc (which I later found in files in my office), stupid farang that I am.

• Like 1

These kinds of topics always bring out the Thailand bashers. Maybe I am just lucky but I have never had any problems at the immigration office in Chiang Rai. Okay, I did sign the copies with the wrong color ink one time but that is the extent of our problems.

What's your definition of 'Thailand bashers'? Is it anybody who doesn't think that every single little thing about this country is absolutely fabulous?

• Like 1

olola....reading through these various experiences I was thinking and wondering.....and remembered a small incident myself...last year did an extension of my 2 month visa in bkk.....so i had to copy the pp...but did it on a smaller peice of paper...the guy rejected imediately soundet like angry to me...well all the other process went sabai the smiling way...(once I was inside ) ...well there I met an italian who they just canceled his permanent residency for no obvious reason...the guy relocated (= nothing back home anymore not even a shoebox approx age 75 ) years ago never had any trouble till.....bommmm

it feels kind of sad what legitimite people have to go through on permanent bases when they just wanna have a quiet retirement living with their dear ones.....

housephotos inside outside .? colour of ink ?..come on this is crap completly against human rights....

They preferred blue to black. I had signed one in black because I didn't know which color ink was in that pen. I then signed everything else with a different pen but neglected to add a blue signature to the black one.

New this year, I also had to print my name next to my signature. Their explanation made a lot of sense. If a form happens to drop out of the original stack it can be hard to find which file it belongs to since signatures are not always readable. Printing your name on each page makes it less likely things will get lost or misplaced.

Any other questions?smile.png

I'm going to get a rubber stamp made with 'Jasper Lamar Crabb' printed in full so then I can make my signature incomprehensible -- my wrist sometimes gets tired when I do a report/extension from all that sign-here sign-here stuff.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

These kinds of topics always bring out the Thailand bashers. Maybe I am just lucky but I have never had any problems at the immigration office in Chiang Rai. Okay, I did sign the copies with the wrong color ink one time but that is the extent of our problems.

What's your definition of 'Thailand bashers'? Is it anybody who doesn't think that every single little thing about this country is absolutely fabulous?

Thai bashers are those who always think that, no matter what Thailand does, if the Thai powers-that-be really realized who's who and what's what, they would do something different.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Never heard of needing a deposit prior to seeking an extension. Kap Cheong insisted that I have a term deposit anyway. Can someone explain why a further deposit prior to seeking an extension is needed, or is this just some local office requirement?

• Like 1

Never heard of needing a deposit prior to seeking an extension. Kap Cheong insisted that I have a term deposit anyway. Can someone explain why a further deposit prior to seeking an extension is needed, or is this just some local office requirement?

When I did my extension CW, bangkok the io asked my tgf to run off downstairs and make a 100 baht deposit. I had the bank letter from previous day. I was then given the extension.

I heard that red colour is still much in favour in parts of the North ad NorthEast. Not sure about ink, though.