Latest info about getting a new British passport please

Hello. My passport is almost full but has 5 years until expiry. I'm mostly in Thailand on tourist visas but do wander off to visit other SE Asian counties too. My understanding is Brits cannot have pages added to the passport - is this correct? Can I obtain a new passport in Thailand, a country close by or do I need to get it from the UK? Thanks

unfortunately it's by no means as simple as it used to be.sad.png I have both British and Australian passports and I'm just about to renew the Australian one at the Embassy in Bangkok which is a very simple process (Only 15 days!). Whereas renewing the British one now is a chore. Why do they have to make it so complicated and long winded? bah.gif You might find some useful information in the following thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/787251-renewing-a-british-passport-in-thailand-bkk/

Edited by Asiantravel

I'm flying back to the UK to get a new one.

Less aggro.

Book an appointment at the passport office behind Victoria station.

100gbp delivered in 1 week, 120gbp collect same day.

All you need is the old passport and two passport photos.

(and a UK address if you want the delivered in 1 week option)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I'm flying back to the UK to get a new one.

Less aggro.

Book an appointment at the passport office behind Victoria station.

100gbp delivered in 1 week, 120gbp collect same day.

All you need is the old passport and two passport photos.

(and a UK address if you want the delivered in 1 week option)

Agree that's my decision also, nothing worse than being a resident in a country that isn't yours with no passport.

• Like 1

unfortunately it's by no means as simple as it used to be.sad.png I have both British and Australian passports and I'm just about to renew the Australian one at the Embassy in Bangkok which is a very simple process (Only 15 days!). Whereas renewing the British one now is a chore. Why do they have to make it so complicated and long winded? bah.gif You might find some useful information in the following thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/787251-renewing-a-british-passport-in-thailand-bkk/

No chore, just arrived back from supplying my application at the Trendy Building

Plenty of paperwork to fill in beforehand but was in and out in less than 10 minutes

Only real chore is having to go back to pick it up as they don't post

• Like 1

The last time I renewed UK passport I was in the UK at the time and went in person. Simple.

This was 3 years ago and the passport person dealing with me told me that the UK gov had plans to stop all UK passports being issued abroad because.....The blank passports were "stolen" in staggering quantities from embassies and consulates all over the place.

None of the foreign staff could be trusted. Black market prices were too much of an incentive.

Who would have thought that bloody Johhny Foreigner was so untrustworthy ? blink.png

Edited by lonewolf99

The last time I renewed UK passport I was in the UK at the time and went in person. Simple.

This was 3 years ago and the passport person dealing with me told me that the UK gov had plans to stop all UK passports being issued abroad because.....The blank passports were "stolen" in staggering quantities from embassies and consulates all over the place.

None of the foreign staff could be trusted. Black market prices were too much of an incentive.

Who would have thought that bloody Johhny Foreigner was so untrustworthy ? blink.png

They were obviously not that worried, 3 years later and they are still issuing them abroad

Thanks for the replies. Can someone confirm please - if I apply for this in Bangkok, I only need to provide photocopies of my original unexpired passport? I can still retain my existing passport and continue to use it until the new one arrives?

Thanks for the replies. Can someone confirm please - if I apply for this in Bangkok, I only need to provide photocopies of my original unexpired passport? I can still retain my existing passport and continue to use it until the new one arrives?

Correct.

Yeah, but colour photocopies, and of every page, used and unused.

As far as I know.

They were obviously not that worried, 3 years later and they are still issuing them abroad

You misunderstand, British pp certainly in case of the Thailand are issued in the UK from Liverpool, they are not being issued abroad, in the past, an embassy or consulate had a stock of blank pps and used to issue the pp from the embassy or consulate, so in terms of Thailand at least they have done exactly what they told the poster...Trendy do no issue British pps, they are an agent only and forward on pp issued in the UK

• Like 1

You misunderstand, British pp certainly in case of the Thailand are issued in the UK from Liverpool, they are not being issued abroad, in the past, an embassy or consulate had a stock of blank pps and used to issue the pp from the embassy or consulate, so in terms of Thailand at least they have done exactly what they told the poster...Trendy do no issue British pps, they are an agent only and forward on pp issued in the UK

Correct. UK passports for expats living in Thailand are issued in Liverpool.

Reading the paperwork it appears a birth certificate is not acceptable as identification. Bearing in mind I have no residency status in Thailand (apart from registering at my local immigration office) what is acceptable identification please?

I am currently going through the process and having a nightmare.Submission of documents was okay, if not a little over the top.Proof address i used one house bill and a delivery slip translated into English my driving license as proof of identification ( again why this is needed when i am carrying my old passport i don't understand) all forms were excepted.Then we get to payment I have lived here for many years and the last time i renewed passport was using Hong Kong service which was using cash and painless this time not so much.

I used my Krungsri debit card to pay and the girl at the counter said it would be fine, it wasn't!!

After a week and no money be taken i thought i would contact the Passport office as they had not contacted me.There was a problem with payment, okay i thought i will change the card used ..let the hassles begin.

Many calls to the UK office before some one said they would get someone from the finance department to contact me within 4 hours no one did, more calls to the office going through the same call process being put on hold explaining the situation again and again to be passed around again and again to be told to wait for another call back which never came then to be told after I called back again late evening Thai time that i now have to wait another day for a call back.Now into the third day of trying to sort this problem.

Anyways i will have to wait again today to see if it can be resolved.The UK seems to have the most expensive and ridiculous system ever, friends from Europe and the States never seem to have this fuss.

So in closing my advice make sure you use a credit or debit from the UK to avoid this hassle and give your self plenty of time.

Reading the paperwork it appears a birth certificate is not acceptable as identification. Bearing in mind I have no residency status in Thailand (apart from registering at my local immigration office) what is acceptable identification please?

I used a TOT bill. the address was in Thai so I had to have it translated by a Lawyer and the Lawyers stamps put on it, cost 300 Baht

I asked VFS beforehand if this was acceptable and they said yes, the girl I dealt with yesterday didn't say there was anything wrong with my paperwork so I hopefully assume everything is ok

As other posters have mentioned I had to copy in colour every page of my PP,

I am currently going through the process and having a nightmare.Submission of documents was okay, if not a little over the top.Proof address i used one house bill and a delivery slip translated into English my driving license as proof of identification ( again why this is needed when i am carrying my old passport i don't understand) all forms were excepted.Then we get to payment I have lived here for many years and the last time i renewed passport was using Hong Kong service which was using cash and painless this time not so much.

I used my Krungsri debit card to pay and the girl at the counter said it would be fine, it wasn't!!

After a week and no money be taken i thought i would contact the Passport office as they had not contacted me.There was a problem with payment, okay i thought i will change the card used ..let the hassles begin.

Many calls to the UK office before some one said they would get someone from the finance department to contact me within 4 hours no one did, more calls to the office going through the same call process being put on hold explaining the situation again and again to be passed around again and again to be told to wait for another call back which never came then to be told after I called back again late evening Thai time that i now have to wait another day for a call back.Now into the third day of trying to sort this problem.

Anyways i will have to wait again today to see if it can be resolved.The UK seems to have the most expensive and ridiculous system ever, friends from Europe and the States never seem to have this fuss.

So in closing my advice make sure you use a credit or debit from the UK to avoid this hassle and give your self plenty of time.

update: I called the offices again to be told a call was coming, again no call came. meaning yet another day waiting around for a call that seems will never come.It seems this process goes fine unless there is a snag then the nightmare begins.Customer service is terrible all steming from bad recomendation from their staff....very very annoyed and formal complaints are being written.

• 2 months later...

I submitted my paperwork at Trendy for a damaged passport on the 17th May and received an email today that it was ready for collection so the turnaround is still very quick, even for a damaged passport that presumably warrants further checks as I had to provide new counter signatory photos etc. As for accomodation address just had a letter signed by the condo which was accepted. Colour photos of all pages required. Although Trendy was heaving with people they seem to have an efficient system of getting people through reasonably swiftly. Finally yet again thanks to UJ for great advice, really invaluable to this board.