Having bike accident and no money to pay for hospital stay

parafareno

What happens to people who have no money to pay for hospital bills if they have a bike accident?

Do they go to jail.

Like for example they crash their head, need surgery and the bill comes to 600000 bht......

What happens in this case if they have no money?

DOes the hospital give them discount, or they should just leave Thailand and never come back?

Do they get a discount cos they got no cash LOL...wow talk about naive

In some cases they will hold the patients passport until the bill is paid so they will not be going anywhere

Further they can sue the patient in civil court for payment and the courts my hold the patients passport

In most cases however a hospital will negotiate a payment plan

so you can pay a part of the cost and then split and never come back to Thailand?

I mean it is crazy you might end up in accident and it would cost like 1 million bht...I rather go to jail than pay that much.....

or split to cambodia.....

so you can pay a part of the cost and then split and never come back to Thailand?

I mean it is crazy you might end up in accident and it would cost like 1 million bht...I rather go to jail than pay that much.....

And the proper responsible adult answer would be ?....give you a hint the word starts with an "I"

First 24h are for free, it's the law. After which you are on your own. So either have a credit card with you or an accident/health insurance.

And one wonders why the Thai gov wants to implement mandatory medical insurance for all non thais ?

honestly if some Thai grandma hits me on my motorbike and splits and I get a bill of 600000 bht, I will never pay it, I earn my money too hard...i would split to Cambodia and then home, and aviod coming back to Thailand for some time.....

honestly if some Thai grandma hits me on my motorbike and splits and I get a bill of 600000 bht, I will never pay it, I earn my money too hard...i would split to Cambodia and then home, and aviod coming back to Thailand for some time.....

If your banged up in hospital and they have your pp your going nowhere

Here is a more adult solution to your problem...its called insurance

In some cases they will hold the patients passport until the bill is paid so they will not be going anywhere

Further they can sue the patient in civil court for payment and the courts my hold the patients passport

I'm sorry but it appears you are the naive one here. They do indeed get a large discount if it is pointed out the person has no money and a lot of hospitals around the tourist areas have Farang staff to negotiate this discount. I know this from first hand experience and getting to know a woman that did this very job on Koh Samui thumbsup.gif

First 24h are for free, it's the law. After which you are on your own. So either have a credit card with you or an accident/health insurance.

Which Law?

Are you suggesting that ANY treatment provided by a hospital is provided 'free' during the fist 24 hours of need ?

Do you have evidence of this actually being the case ?

I'm sorry but it appears you are the naive one here. They do indeed get a large discount if it is pointed out the person has no money and a lot of hospitals around the tourist areas have Farang staff to negotiate this discount. I know this from first hand experience and getting to know a woman that did this very job on Koh Samui thumbsup.gif

Not naive in the least...i have medical insurance, further you are relating a single experience at a single hospital, are you saying every hospital in Thsiland will do this ?....your being naive if you say they do

Anyways the argument will be moot when they bring in mandatory medical insurance required for all non Thais or PRs

Edited by Bobotie

i went to dentist once, he raked a bill in Burmungram hospita, the most leeching money hospital in BKK.....

so i got a bill just to do some laser shit on one tooth like 8000 bht, and I had like 2000 bht with me, who would know 20 minute laser shit to laser your gum would cost that much.

I said wow that is expensive.....doc said wait a bit, he came back ok we give you discount.....and it was like 1500 bht...lol...<deleted> leechers....

i went to dentist once, he raked a bill in Burmungram hospita, the most leeching money hospital in BKK.....

so i got a bill just to do some laser shit on one tooth like 8000 bht, and I had like 2000 bht with me, who would know 20 minute laser shit to laser your gum would cost that much.

I said wow that is expensive.....doc said wait a bit, he came back ok we give you discount.....and it was like 1500 bht...lol...<deleted> leechers....

I am being to think your a troll

You, and people with a similar mindset, are the reason why medical costs in Thailand are so high, the honest people are paying your bills!

Wages, equipment, utility bills all have to be paid, so if people are defaulting on payments the costs have to be passed as higher charges to those pay.

Civil recovery is likely to be too expensive or legally impossible once the debtor had fled the country, and legal costs will eat into the profitably of treatment.

I doubt very much you'd be impressed if your employer, or customers, defaulted on payments to you, so why would you consider it okay to do it to a Thai hospital?

I also have medical insurance which has nothing to do with the OP. I as said know this from experience a bill of over 65,000 Baht was written off for 18,000 when it was explained the person had no money and was on overstay. The 18,000 was from a whip round of his few friends. I also know that this is the norm in a lot of hospitals from talking to a woman who did the deal. She has several friends, ex UK nurses that do the same job around Thailand in tourist areas. I never said ALL hospitals do this but the vast majority of hospitals in tourist areas do !

Oh and he was quoted around 300,000 Baht to have an operation on his badly broken ankle. I got him transferred to the local Government hospital where the surgeon that was to do the operation at the private hospital did the work and the total bill was 25,000 Baht for everything. wink.png

And you didn't think to ask what the cost may be before hand ?....... you seem to ignore the numerous comments suggesting insurance...

Parafareno - you are making stupid people feel much better about themselves.... or you are a troll..

I also have medical insurance which has nothing to do with the OP. I as said know this from experience a bill of over 65,000 Baht was written off for 18,000 when it was explained the person had no money and was on overstay. The 18,000 was from a whip round of his few friends. I also know that this is the norm in a lot of hospitals from talking to a woman who did the deal. She has several friends, ex UK nurses that do the same job around Thailand in tourist areas. I never said ALL hospitals do this but the vast majority of hospitals in tourist areas do !

Oh and he was quoted around 300,000 Baht to have an operation on his badly broken ankle. I got him transferred to the local Government hospital where the surgeon that was to do the operation at the private hospital did the work and the total bill was 25,000 Baht for everything. wink.png

most hospitals are leechers...can you imagine 30 min laser tretement of the gum costs 8000 bht??? I cant remember maybe it was 12000 bht....i do not support leeching from people......i reall do not...

they never asked me if I have money befoe hand. This procedure in Europe costs like 1200 bht....not &lt;deleted&gt; 12000 bht

what can they do if you are broke?

nothing.....

i cant believe so many people support this leeching phenomena.....but if your Thai missus sits on your bank account then all the hell breaks loose

Edited by parafareno

And a discount.

never heard of insurance for dental laser treatment must come under existing problems /// EXCLUSIONS

Try reading the whole thread, the insurance relates to the op question, not the trolling he was attempting about dental laser treatment

Thais will give you a beatdown even if youre already in bandages.

This happened to me. Bought 600,000 carbon pedal bike (priorities) and then crashed coming down doi suthep around 70 kph. dog ran in road, and it was raining.

hip shattered, elbow destroyed, hit head...no helmet

i went into the caves...(this is where you stop reading)...

rescued by monks, learned thai, and found the all-healing amulet

now english is very difficult for me.....

drug king pin stole my bike...i will fight him soon!!! well, not me, i'm a monk

If you are driving a bike or any vehicle without insurance there are three words to discribe you.

Foolish

Irresponsible

Stupid

Grow up.

You make us all look bad.

Very true but...

Difficult to get travel insurance that will cover you riding a motorcycle not without a healthy premium

Impossible if you don't have an existing motorcycle license and international driving permit

Too many come here who have obviously never ridden before hire ridiculously big bikes and tool off down the road with no helmet in flip flops and a singlet.

I imagine a similar premium would apply to those with overseas medical insurance. I agree though very stupid but there is a multitude of dick heads here that make us look bad not just those that jump on bikes ;)

I am being to think your a troll

A troll or a low life leecher...

To OP: as a few others here have already told you; GET INSURANCE! Problem solved. No need to beg for a discount and no need to run off to a neighbouring country.

Please just leave now, and spare everyone from your irresponsibility.