Are Thai stray dogs the happiest in the world?

I've seen stray dogs in many countries starving, injured, hated. But in Thailand they seems to have no real worries, are fat and mostly look healthy some even wearing a collar. I wonder are Thai stray dogs the happiest in the world?

This old lady I met on Koh Larn... :D

thailand-1251073_960_720.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Diseased stray (feral) dogs are not happy !

It is IMHO a great pity that these dogs are not rounded up, cured of disease if possible and then re-homed.

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/sugarprof.pdf

Euthanasia would, of course, have to play a part in any program dedicated to reducing the number of feral animals but that will not happen in Thailand.

The completely bald pathetic scrawny thing I often see at the corner doesn't look too happy to me.

Then don't look in the mirror!

Go to you local vet, buy a sachet of powder, mix it into some food and give it to the dog. Within days it will look better. Mange is so easily cured. You might even feel happy you've done something good

Apart from suffering from ticks, fleas, lice, mange, and other diseases, I guess they're very happy.

Of course you could always do something to help them and make them even happier.....but I bet you won't

Sarcasm never works, does it?

If I have to spell it out for you, Fairynuff, there is a major problem with stray dogs in Thailand. The pounds are full, organisations like Soidogs and CareforDogs do what they can. The ban on eating dogmeat, while well-intentioned, results in far more dogs left to die miserably of disease and starvation.

This morning, on my daily walk, I found two litters of puppies, in pipes under the track (about 10 feet long). Lovely puppies, and the first litter, of four, was being watched from a distance by the mother, who was scouring the rice paddies for food. God knows what she'll find. The first lot would be fairly easy to catch, and then what? The local pound is full to bursting. The local temple has quite enough half-stray dogs already.

I could possibly home one puppy, but what would I do with the rest? I have two dogs already (one of which came to me from CareforDogs 9 years ago), and that's as much as I can cope with these days. When one of my dogs dies (and the old one can't live all that much longer), I plan to go to the local pound for a 'replacement' (yes, I know a beloved dog can never really be replaced, but I would rather have a new one to take care of than go on moping about the old one).

Why does Soidog employ foreign vets when so many Thai vets are available? Are the foreign vets related to the people who run Soidog and they give this chance to them to come to Phuket and have a nice holiday - air fare paid, fancy accommodation with pool and car provided. Not a bad life!

Apart from suffering from ticks, fleas, lice, mange, and other diseases, I guess they're very happy.

Of course you could always do something to help them and make them even happier.....but I bet you won't

Sarcasm never works, does it?

If I have to spell it out for you, Fairynuff, there is a major problem with stray dogs in Thailand. The pounds are full, organisations like Soidogs and CareforDogs do what they can. The ban on eating dogmeat, while well-intentioned, results in far more dogs left to die miserably of disease and starvation.

This morning, on my daily walk, I found two litters of puppies, in pipes under the track (about 10 feet long). Lovely puppies, and the first litter, of four, was being watched from a distance by the mother, who was scouring the rice paddies for food. God knows what she'll find. The first lot would be fairly easy to catch, and then what? The local pound is full to bursting. The local temple has quite enough half-stray dogs already.

I could possibly home one puppy, but what would I do with the rest? I have two dogs already (one of which came to me from CareforDogs 9 years ago), and that's as much as I can cope with these days. When one of my dogs dies (and the old one can't live all that much longer), I plan to go to the local pound for a 'replacement' (yes, I know a beloved dog can never really be replaced, but I would rather have a new one to take care of than go on moping about the old one).

Actually sarcasm does work...you reacted! Sarcasm is also a great source of humour.

Perhaps you could do what I do. Over the past years I've had probably around 50 dogs neutered. Befriend the dogs and they'll go anywhere with you. A local vet knows what I do and gives me a good price for the operations. I also buy the powders from him at a discounted price. It cures mange, heart worm and other infections/infestations. The knock on effect of neutering the dogs is incredible n terms of population control

Why does Soidog employ foreign vets when so many Thai vets are available? Are the foreign vets related to the people who run Soidog and they give this chance to them to come to Phuket and have a nice holiday - air fare paid, fancy accommodation with pool and car provided. Not a bad life!

Many of Soi dog rescue's "employees" are volunteers. Foreign vets are not paid to come here are not given 5* holidays. Please get your facts right before posting misinformation

I have noticed quite a few soi dogs that are now wearing collars... They seem unowned by any one individual, but can be in reasonable condition, certainly well fed...

I guess they can be group looked after by security guards, moto sai guys, food and merchandise stall holders...?

These 3 are on a Walkbridge between some shopping malls and an MRT station 24 hours a day

post-147205-0-48671900-1458186951_thumb.

post-147205-0-96412300-1458186991_thumb.

I have noticed quite a few soi dogs that are now wearing collars... They seem unowned by any one individual, but can be in reasonable condition, certainly well fed...

I guess they can be group looked after by security guards, moto sai guys, food and merchandise stall holders...?

These 3 are on a Walkbridge between some shopping malls and an MRT station 24 hours a day

attachicon.gif20160301_231006.jpg

attachicon.gif20160310_232516.jpg

Sometimes the local authorities come around and kill Soi dogs. I actually witnessed this first hand many years ago. It was a horrible thing to witness and I managed to save some dogs by getting them out of the way. I subsequently found out that if a dog has a collar they won't kill it. The local people who care for Soi dogs clearly know this and make sure dogs are collared

Why would you bet that isanbirder won't?

There are a great many stray Brits on the streets of Pattaya. With their mange, their shifty demeanour and nervous tics, their bloated, elephantine bellies and bloodshot eyes, it is hard to categorise them as happy.

At least the new law on animal cruelty will help a little bit, but there are far too many stray dogs that are badly treated, even though they have a collar, the people who put the collar on the dog and probably feed it will take no responsibility if it barks all night or bites someone.

However, in general the Thai people do treat stray dogs quite well (in relative economic terms) and try to feed them; and often have them injected and taken to the vets for treatment, even though they do not consider that they own them and would not let them in the house.

In fact most Thais are happy to see the dogs roaming free and I though believe that Thai stray dogs are extremely clever and good at looking after themselves, an organization like SoiDog does fantastic work that is really necessary.

It is lack of education on how to look after dogs that is greatly lacking here (but you can say the same about humans as well).

We look after 10 real dogs in Buri Ram (+ 2 lap dogs) and my wife and daughters frequently go out in Pattaya to feed stray dogs and always keeps food in the car to feed to strays on any trip; and I like the idea of putting some powder in the food to cure mange, etc. At least Thai veterinary fees are very reasonable, the price my brother recently paid for a smallish operation on his dog in the UK would keep all 12 of my dogs in yearly injections, neutering and other fees, including grooming, nail clipping, etc. for a couple of years.

The new laws on animal cruelty might help in the long run (although they are very weak) and education in schools is necessary.

I recently castigated one of our local yobs in Pattaya for shooting at cats with an airgun (not a softair plastic pellet gun) and now I am definitely bad guy of the year; even with my own family, as this upsets the neighbourly environment. Wrong approach yet again Farang, softly, softly is always best so my wife tells me. Perhaps I should not have threatened to shoot him!

Far better to put down the likes of him and those who would like to kill Soi Dogs. I would be happy to give them a powder.

I am all for the authorities removing stray dogs from the streets, neutering and rehousing them, but not killing them if at all possible (dangerous animals excepted).

At least the practice of deliberately running over stray dogs has greatly reduced in the last 10 years or so; and to answer the question, I would say that overall stray dogs in Thailand do have a better life than in other countries.

Oh yes Thai people do treat stray dogs nicely... by forcing them to "wear" old t-shirts around their body during the so-called "cold" season.

Very common sight and always the source of a good laugh for me.

Hmm what can I do? Of course feed and fatten them so that they are the winners in the "Chase the bitch in heat" contest to propagate their genes. How clever.

At least the new law on animal cruelty will help a little bit, but there are far too many stray dogs that are badly treated, even though they have a collar, the people who put the collar on the dog and probably feed it will take no responsibility if it barks all night or bites someone.

However, in general the Thai people do treat stray dogs quite well (in relative economic terms) and try to feed them; and often have them injected and taken to the vets for treatment, even though they do not consider that they own them and would not let them in the house.

In fact most Thais are happy to see the dogs roaming free and I though believe that Thai stray dogs are extremely clever and good at looking after themselves, an organization like SoiDog does fantastic work that is really necessary.

It is lack of education on how to look after dogs that is greatly lacking here (but you can say the same about humans as well).

We look after 10 real dogs in Buri Ram (+ 2 lap dogs) and my wife and daughters frequently go out in Pattaya to feed stray dogs and always keeps food in the car to feed to strays on any trip; and I like the idea of putting some powder in the food to cure mange, etc. At least Thai veterinary fees are very reasonable, the price my brother recently paid for a smallish operation on his dog in the UK would keep all 12 of my dogs in yearly injections, neutering and other fees, including grooming, nail clipping, etc. for a couple of years.

The new laws on animal cruelty might help in the long run (although they are very weak) and education in schools is necessary.

I recently castigated one of our local yobs in Pattaya for shooting at cats with an airgun (not a softair plastic pellet gun) and now I am definitely bad guy of the year; even with my own family, as this upsets the neighbourly environment. Wrong approach yet again Farang, softly, softly is always best so my wife tells me. Perhaps I should not have threatened to shoot him!

Far better to put down the likes of him and those who would like to kill Soi Dogs. I would be happy to give them a powder.

I am all for the authorities removing stray dogs from the streets, neutering and rehousing them, but not killing them if at all possible (dangerous animals excepted).

At least the practice of deliberately running over stray dogs has greatly reduced in the last 10 years or so; and to answer the question, I would say that overall stray dogs in Thailand do have a better life than in other countries.

The majority of Soi dogs are not aggressive if YOUR attitude is ok. Dogs sense your fear or your apprehension and may well see that as a threat. It's a rare thing for a dog to attack without apparent reason. I find Thai dogs generally very easy to befriend and they really will be your friend.

I can't own my own dogs living in a condo so Soi dogs are the next best thing and some of the dogs I've known for years you would never know were "wild" dogs.

When we get cool temperatures the dogs need to be "forced" to wear t shirts because they do suffer from the cold

Hmm what can I do? Of course feed and fatten them so that they are the winners in the "Chase the bitch in heat" contest to propagate their genes. How clever.

Being clever clearly isn't your strong point

Does anybody on this forum understand the concept of a Soi dog? It is lost on me. Is it about making merit, by feeding them? Do they serve any purpose, other than to terrorize occasional pedestrians or people on bicycles and motorbikes? I never see a Thai person touch them, nor pet them. Many look diseased and mangy. Many bark all hours of the day and night. Do the locals somehow derive satisfaction from having them around? Or, are they just pests that keep multiplying, and won't go away?

I do not like soi dogs. I have no idea what they are all about. I would love to better understand the phenomenon. It seems quite bizarre to me.

Many of Soi dog rescue's "employees" are volunteers. Foreign vets are not paid to come here are not given 5* holidays. Please get your facts right before posting misinformation

Are you working for Soi dog foundation? . If so, in what capacity? My facts are absolutely correct. How many private cars are registered with Soidog foundation and who drives them? How many Soidog Thai employees also do private chores for Soidog management?

Are you working for Soi dog foundation? . If so, in what capacity? My facts are absolutely correct. How many private cars are registered with Soidog foundation and who drives them? How many Soidog Thai employees also do private chores for Soidog management?

I don't work for anybody, I just care about dogs. That's what makes us different

The majority of Soi dogs are not aggressive if YOUR attitude is ok. Dogs sense your fear or your apprehension and may well see that as a threat. It's a rare thing for a dog to attack without apparent reason. I find Thai dogs generally very easy to befriend and they really will be your friend.

I can't own my own dogs living in a condo so Soi dogs are the next best thing and some of the dogs I've known for years you would never know were "wild" dogs.

When we get cool temperatures the dogs need to be "forced" to wear t shirts because they do suffer from the cold

Yup, you befriend them and when one of them takes a lump out of you and you end up with rabies or something, dont come crying on here!! I will continue to take a wide berth. You say dogs can sense your fear or apprehension, which I was aware of, as most people are, but, when being approached by a soi dog, isnt everyone apprehensive?

If this is the case, then nearly everybody is a risk from the dog knowing you are, at best, only apprehensive. For those that are literally shi77ing themselves, then its time to leg it!

As to the OP asking if they are happy, I would hope they are happier than the little handbag dogs that wear clothes and have ribbons in their hair!!