Good motorcycle sat nav with voice instruction

jonnyscot

Hi all, when out riding I usually give my full concentration to the road ahead resulting in missing more than a few road direction signs, which is starting to peeve me off a bit, so I've finally given in and looking for a sat nav to use on my versys, ideally something that has good updated maps, not so much bothered about screen size as I'd prefer to depend on the voice instruction most of the time,, I expect some comments re phone nav also so if it's any help to say I use an iPhone so iPhone apps would be considered, but just looking for best option be it by phone or dedicated sat nav,,, also I've purchased a Sena SMH 10 device although haven't yet used it, so I guess this can also be tied into any system?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Garmin Zumo are built especially for motorbikes. Waterproof, and touch screen. Not cheap though.

Oops,,,, I see what you mean re price,, ok barring anyone selling a Zumo cheaper I think I'll try the phone option first and see what if any apps I need to install to my phone to make it work from there

Cheers

I have a second hand, Zumo 220, I paid 7K i think .. I put a wanted ad out there.

It's OK, not great but it comes into its own when in Malaysia or Laos where I don't have cell signal and there are less roads to confuse it.

It's loaded with Nightriders OSM map http://www.nightrider.info/map/

I think I have seen second hand Zumo 550 on kaidee or bahtsold.

------

I run an iPhone with google maps, to double check that I'm going the right way as the Garmin has its moments.

In addition to the phone and garmin, I also have Sena smh-20, which is the nuts. Both the garmin and iPhone talk to the Sena without any issues.The iPhone attaches to the bars via a RAM mount, but I can't find a decent waterproof case.

I saw a copy of a RAM X-Grip mount with a USB port mounted to the grip on Facebook the other day, check Versys market TH group.

Yes 7k is a more respectable price to pay, but anything over 20k I think I'd rather continue getting lost and spend the money to give the bike a refresh and get a paint job or one of those film wrap coatings

I use an SMH 10 with my Shark helmet and paired to my iPhone. I'd recommend going with Googlemaps even if it reads out the names of the roads in a distracting way at times. It reroutes quickly and takes into account traffic so overall I'm satisfied. Only risk is if you have a weak data connection for a long period.

On a side note, I find using an android phone has a less accurate GPS location and can lose your location completely when under bridges. That was with a Samsung Note 3 and LG G4.

Yes 7k is a more respectable price to pay, but anything over 20k I think I'd rather continue getting lost and spend the money to give the bike a refresh and get a paint job or one of those film wrap coatings

Since you have an iPhone I would give Sygic a try, though don't install until soon before your going to take a trip as you get a 7 day free trial of the premium feature which you need that is the voice instructions.

Of the 4 main GPS apps for the iPhone it is the one I find the best.

I'm using Open Street Maps for Android (OSMand).

Works perfect for me. The advantage is that it's an offline navigation app so you download the map and can use and navigate without a network

which is helpful if you have no network coverage or in foreign countries when you have no Sim or data package.

For planning a longer route/trip I use Google my maps and transfer the gpx file to Osm.

I bought in ear headphones (Kaos Zenith on lazada) and using them in one ear. Loud enough and comfortable.

Works perfect for me. The advantage is that it's an offline navigation app so you download the map and can use and navigate without a network

which is helpful if you have no network coverage or in foreign countries when you have no Sim or data package.

For planning a longer route/trip I use Google my maps and transfer the gpx file to Osm.

I bought in ear headphones (Kaos Zenith on lazada) and using them in one ear. Loud enough and comfortable.

OSMand isn't the same app for the iPhone .. On android its one of the best, if not better than a garmin.

The iPhone version doesn't even come close to the excellence of the android version.

Yes!! Like you say, it's one of the very few apps to do GPX file > turn-to-turn vox .. Awsome, but not a feature of iPhone version.

Edited by recom273

OSMand isn't the same app for the iPhone .. On android its one of the best, if not better than a garmin.

The iPhone version doesn't even come close to the excellence of the android version.

Yes!! Like you say, it's one of the very few apps to do GPX file > turn-to-turn vox .. Awsome, but not a feature of iPhone version.

Come to think of it I also have an android phone I sometimes use as second phone when I'm overseas, (save hassle of inserting local sims at work locations), so thanks for that reminder, another option for me to try

Can you tell the OSM to avoid tolls? unfortunately i learnt BK via the expressways in the car so need to avoid them on the bike obviously.

Yes, in the route planning settings you can avoid tollways and highways.

Helpful as motorcycles not allowed.

It's working, I tried many times in BKK

The GPS off line apps on the iPad and iPhone I have are Sygic (in my opinion it's the best) Tomtom, Garmin and Map.Me

For me Tomtom and Garmin are too Fisher Price and I'm not sure if Map.Me does audio but it is free.

I recently got the HUD in app purchase for Sygic and it seems good.

Google maps on a phone works best for me. It offers alternative routes which is great if you want to try a scenic route. The best thing however is the constant update of the map and searches are easy. I have a couple of Garmin's which work fine however if you try to find a new business or attraction chances are it will not be on your map even if it was recently updated where Google will likely have it.

You don't need special mounts just start navigation and put it in your pocket and use your ear buds. I can't see my screen anyways while riding in the day so I just listen to the navigation.

I have a second hand, Zumo 220, I paid 7K i think .. I put a wanted ad out there.

It's OK, not great but it comes into its own when in Malaysia or Laos where I don't have cell signal and there are less roads to confuse it.

------

I run an iPhone with google maps, to double check that I'm going the right way as the Garmin has its moments.

In addition to the phone and garmin, I also have Sena smh-20, which is the nuts. Both the garmin and iPhone talk to the Sena without any issues.The iPhone attaches to the bars via a RAM mount, but I can't find a decent waterproof case.

I saw a copy of a RAM X-Grip mount with a USB port mounted to the grip on Facebook the other day, check Versys market TH group.

Pattaya big wing sells a waterproof Phone case for IPhone.

------

Aren't the i-phones already water and dust proof?

------

Aren't the i-phones already water and dust proof?
no I don't believe so. And even if the were the touch screen doesn't work when wet. But it does through the case I mentioned.

Sorry man, I will rephrase that.

A truly waterproof hard case that has a RAM mount ball on the back, and a small sealable access for a power cord, it also needs to be the exactly the same size as the phone with some kind of easy opening system.

I tried a few, they seem to be rebranded Chinese junk, at the moment I have one in my tankbag that I can use in the rain but it's a real hardship to get the phone in and out of, a real 'must' when you are stopping at shops or for a coffee or whatever.

The X-grip is awesome, fast and very safe.

Something else the OP might consider - Garmins have a fuel gauge function when you get to a predetermined number of KM's left in the tank you will get a warning and instruction to take you to the nearest station. It has saved my balls a few times.

Also, Using OSM maps in your garmin, you can find local attractions or hotels as you are riding, there is also a Laos GPS map that is pretty slick with a lot of interesting waypoints on.

You might want to download the Nostra gps map from the App Store. It is dedicated Thailand GPS map that has all the features you need. It is very good here in Phuket so I assume equally good throughout TH. It's updated regularly and free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used TomTom SEA for years and it has always successfully navigated me around pretty much the whole of Thailand.

What I like most about it is the route type option - there is a route type "Winding Roads" and you can select minimum, medium or maximum. As a result, it took me on the 1149 from Mae Sai to Fang, one of the most unforgettable routes I've done. Low speeds, extremely twisty, past two army checkpoints, pine needles on the road, wild boars, cherry blossoms and all the while, looking across to Myanmar, above the fog and mist. Surreal.

My iPhone is jailbroken so it's easy to get your hands on apps like TomTom and Sygic and see which you prefer, after which you can pay (if you like). The JB'd version and the paid version are the same

One other point that I would like to make about dedicated GPS vs phone GPS. With the latter, I can listen to music while riding and also receive/make phone calls.

Ok, I agree that talking on the phone while riding is not the smartest thing to do and something that I normally don't ever do. However, on a recent ride, we encountered some heavy queing traffic and it was not possible for the whole group (3 bikes) to stay together. In any case, about 5 kms down the road, we stopped and waited for the third bike to catch up. However, the phone started ringing. Imagine dressed in full gear, gloves, helmets etc and the phone rings. It takes a lot more effort to answer the phone as opposed to just reaching up the side of the helmet and pressing one button.

To cut a long story short, the third bike was cut off by an idiot <nationality deleted but you can all guess> motorist which resulted in rider down but no serious injuries. We had to turn back of course.

My point is that it was a lot more convenient with a full system that incorporates GPS, phone and music. For all I know, I might not even have heard the phone ringing as I was still wearing my helmet etc.