Spammers And Getting Rid Of Them

LaReina

I have had similar problems which a dodgy company called Virus Burst. They download an icon to your task manager which you can't delete. I knew nothing about this and don't know how i received it. I received constant messages saying i had serios virus and malware problems, and when you browse the net is diverts you to virus burst or a number of other illegitimate sites belonging to the same company. It turns out they send you the virus/malware and try to convince you to buy their anti virus software.

My F-secure couldn't sort the problem so i downloaded PC-tools which did, at a cost though.

annoying

Edited by ltdknowledge

ltdknowledge - You may have "caught" this malware as the result of downloading a codec for your music/video player. If memory serves me, "Virus Burst" is included in Lavasoft's Ad-Aware definitions.

Too bad you had to pay to find a fix. If you don't have Ad-Aware, you can download their free version, here.

waldwolf

The question you should now ask yourself now is "Was my VGX.DLL driver patched via Microsoft's Windows Update?"

I assume it was, but don't know. My last auto update for my Windows 2000 Pro, (five plus years old computer) was October 20th/06. I use Firefox about 90% of the time. Now that I've just started using Gmail instead of Hotmail, I'll probably use IE Explorer even less. My Norton expires in a few days, and I was thinking about not re-newing it, but now having second thoughts. I also have AVG free installed, along with BitDefender 8 free and the free online version from Micro-trend. As for anti-spyware, I have Spysweeper, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, Ad-aware, and Ewido. At least once a day, I'm usually running at least one scan of some kind. After looking at your link above, there's a possibility I may have rootkits on my system. Just can't prove it. Most of the scans show nothing, or minor ad-ware, but I have had serious infections in the past. Probably on this old computer, not cleaned thoroughly. As soon as Microsoft stops supporting Windows 2000 Pro, out the computer goes, and I'll be forced to buy a new one.

......I assume it was, but don't know.......
You can test your IE browser by visiting this link: Test Page. If your browser crashes and you get the message shown in photo 1 (above), then your VML library file has not been patched. If you get the 2 red boxes, as shown in photo 2, then the VML library file was patched.
Now that I've just started using Gmail instead of Hotmail, I'll probably use IE Explorer even less.
Be aware, if you use Outlook or Outlook Express to retreve your eMail, whether from Hotmail or Gmail, Outlook and Outlook Express both use the basic IE engine and are therefore vunerable, if the VML file has not been patched.

Norton is a good AV, but somewhat "blotted", hard to uninstall and may slowdown older computers. The others you list are also very good and any one of them should do the job.

Your listing of spyware detectors is impressive. May I suggest you add to that list SpyBot Search & Destroy which is free (don't you just love that word :D ) and available for download here.

IMHO a good two-way, repeat two-way firewall should be your first line of defense. Of course you want to stop anyone from gaining access to your computer, but equally important, should you become infected, you want to stop the attacker from obtaining information stored on your system and "calling home". Some people think the WindowsXP firewall or standard broadband router is all they need in the way of firewall protection. Be aware, both of these are one-way firewalls and can (by their design) only stop incoming traffic, not outgoing traffic. (Windows Vista is expected to have a built-in two-way firewall.)

good luck

waldwolf

PS - Don't forget the old saying......when you assume something, you make an ass out of u and me. :o

......I assume it was, but don't know.......
You can test your IE browser by visiting this link: Test Page. If your browser crashes and you get the message shown in photo 1 (above), then your VML library file has not been patched. If you get the 2 red boxes, as shown in photo 2, then the VML library file was patched.
Now that I've just started using Gmail instead of Hotmail, I'll probably use IE Explorer even less.
Be aware, if you use Outlook or Outlook Express to retreve your eMail, whether from Hotmail or Gmail, Outlook and Outlook Express both use the basic IE engine and are therefore vunerable, if the VML file has not been patched.

Norton is a good AV, but somewhat "blotted", hard to uninstall and may slowdown older computers. The others you list are also very good and any one of them should do the job.

Your listing of spyware detectors is impressive. May I suggest you add to that list SpyBot Search & Destroy which is free (don't you just love that word :D ) and available for download here.

IMHO a good two-way, repeat two-way firewall should be your first line of defense. Of course you want to stop anyone from gaining access to your computer, but equally important, should you become infected, you want to stop the attacker from obtaining information stored on your system and "calling home". Some people think the WindowsXP firewall or standard broadband router is all they need in the way of firewall protection. Be aware, both of these are one-way firewalls and can (by their design) only stop incoming traffic, not outgoing traffic. (Windows Vista is expected to have a built-in two-way firewall.)

good luck

waldwolf

PS - Don't forget the old saying......when you assume something, you make an ass out of u and me. :o

Under Firefox, the above test link gets blocked again by Norton. Under IE, it just says the page can not be displayed.

I used Spybot for quite a long time, but had to eventually give it the heave ho. All explained in an old post here.

I'm using free Zonealarm for my firewall. I have a broadband modem, connected directly to the PC, no Wi-fi.

Thanks for the tips.

What is my dob (and dont think I put the real one in web forums) ?? place of birth etc.. You are simply making guesses and false statements. Even a PI and credit check (with info you dont have) would not come back with that info correct.

Secondly even if you got those things as you claim you wouldnt get my birth certificate.. The name I go by now is not the name I was born with..

Prove me wrong.. Ill pay..

Again all assumptions.. Having been online since before there was a WWW interface I am fairly well aware that things can be dug out but you would have a very hard time getting to my birth details especially.

Secondly I dont have my mail sever configured like that.. Email not to the exact email address (either alias or the base account) is bounced.. No catch all or similarities or 'close match' employed..

17th July..... you can always erase your profile, but you can't erase what other posters say about you.

P.S. I didn't find out what year, as I really couldn't be bothered.... some people put more effort in than me however.

So from you claim to get

DOB

Place of Birth

Full Name

Ethnic origin

Home address

Birth Cert

You effectively have part of one of those items that I have made public..

I will happily make a LARGE bet you cannot get that full list. People often say this kind of stuff but its a false claim.

Edited by LivinLOS

I'm very happy with Gmail. SPAM has not been a problem at all. I only use my Gmail account with people I know. I also have Yahoo and Hotmail accounts. I use Hotmail for any site that requires an email address. With the Hotmail SPAM, I just keep reporting it and it has dropped off considerably. I have both Yahoo And Hotmail set to reply to my Gmail address. I NEVER answer messages if I don't know who they are from.

What is my dob (and dont think I put the real one in web forums) ?? place of birth etc.. You are simply making guesses and false statements. Even a PI and credit check (with info you dont have) would not come back with that info correct.

Secondly even if you got those things as you claim you wouldnt get my birth certificate.. The name I go by now is not the name I was born with..

Again all assumptions.. Having been online since before there was a WWW interface I am fairly well aware that things can be dug out but you would have a very hard time getting to my birth details especially.

Secondly I dont have my mail sever configured like that.. Email not to the exact email address (either alias or the base account) is bounced.. No catch all or similarities or 'close match' employed..

17th July..... you can always erase your profile, but you can't erase what other posters say about you.

P.S. I didn't find out what year, as I really couldn't be bothered.... some people put more effort in than me however.

So from you claim to get

DOB

Place of Birth

Full Name

Ethnic origin

Home address

Birth Cert

I will happily make a LARGE bet you cannot get that full list. People often say this kind of stuff but its a false claim.

Assuming I can retrieve your IP address, and assuming you are the owner of some website, assuming too you fullfilled your legal obligation to provide your true real name and address to the registar, then all those infos can be retrieve.

In the case you did NOT provide real name and real address to your registar, then you domain name can be simply deleted of the DNS records (the 7 top DNS and by so from every DNS), you can be blocked to register any new websites in the future, and the regional top level non profit organisation will also report you to the laws enforcement agencies of the country where you belongs.

So yes technically (if your IP can be found) it's possible to do so, assuming you fullfilled at one moent or another to the legal obligations. Because with your name, your address, and your nationality, it will be possible to dig deeper into your personal infos such as DOB aand place of birth .... Birth certificate? Possible also.

So a mod in Thai visa can do it, someone with access to thaivisa DB can do it also (so here assume any good hacker will be just fine).

Is it worth the time spend on it? Absolutely no, because it take time and knowledges ... but it can be made.

So from you claim to get

DOB

Place of Birth

Full Name

Ethnic origin

Home address

Birth Cert

Assuming I can retrieve your IP address, and assuming you are the owner of some website, assuming too you fullfilled your legal obligation to provide your true real name and address to the registar, then all those infos can be retrieve.

In the case you did NOT provide real name and real address to your registar, then you domain name can be simply deleted of the DNS records (the 7 top DNS and by so from every DNS), you can be blocked to register any new websites in the future, and the regional top level non profit organisation will also report you to the laws enforcement agencies of the country where you belongs.

So yes technically (if your IP can be found) it's possible to do so, assuming you fullfilled at one moent or another to the legal obligations. Because with your name, your address, and your nationality, it will be possible to dig deeper into your personal infos such as DOB aand place of birth .... Birth certificate? Possible also.

So a mod in Thai visa can do it, someone with access to thaivisa DB can do it also (so here assume any good hacker will be just fine).

Is it worth the time spend on it? Absolutely no, because it take time and knowledges ... but it can be made.

You said you could do it, on me.. Again I say you cant, thats my only point.

What makes you think that any name and address provided to a domain registrar would have to be your name or your home address ?? What makes you think that the private domain option isnt used.

So basically all of the above (except very general thoughts and opinions happily shared online) cannot be done.. None of those come home to roost in a home address, even if a domain name trace (something your unable to find from my public posts) could be found its a post office box and remailer on a country I havent lived in for 6 years and never has been a home address and I still fail to understand how you have any clue towards even starting hunting down a birth name and birth certificate or country of birth.

People seem to think that the inernet exposes everything.. Not if your careful and take simple precautions. I too have done some credit checks, and track and trace (its much easier on US people with SS number) on people.

I have posted 10's of 1000s of online posts under a few usernames.. This one especially has posted lots on Thailand forums and I dont doubt I have exposed a lot of general info about myself but none of that gets to the level you claim. Its only becuase theres nearly 10,000 posts under this username that theres any info you could find certainly not possible from a casual poster.

Anyway I fail to think that any of this is how spammers have found my never shared private email.. makes me wonder more about if an alias bounces mail does it bounce from my alias email account or did it bounce mail from the private unshared user account... Thats a more likely possibility IMHO.

So from you claim to get

DOB

Place of Birth

Full Name

Ethnic origin

Home address

Birth Cert

What makes you think that any name and address provided to a domain registrar would have to be your name or your home address ?? What makes you think that the private domain option isnt used.

So basically all of the above (except very general thoughts and opinions happily shared online) cannot be done.. None of those come home to roost in a home address, even if a domain name trace (something your unable to find from my public posts) could be found its a post office box and remailer on a country I havent lived in for 6 years and never has been a home address and I still fail to understand how you have any clue towards even starting hunting down a birth name and birth certificate or country of birth.

People seem to think that the inernet exposes everything.. Not if your careful and take simple precautions. I too have done some credit checks, and track and trace (its much easier on US people with SS number) on people.

I have posted 10's of 1000s of online posts under a few usernames.. This one especially has posted lots on Thailand forums and I dont doubt I have exposed a lot of general info about myself but none of that gets to the level you claim. Its only becuase theres nearly 10,000 posts under this username that theres any info you could find certainly not possible from a casual poster.

Anyway I fail to think that any of this is how spammers have found my never shared private email.. makes me wonder more about if an alias bounces mail does it bounce from my alias email account or did it bounce mail from the private unshared user account... Thats a more likely possibility IMHO.

It's a US law 2004 I think, who was adopted by the top level non profits organiasations that rules the web (such as Apnic, Arin, Internic ....).

When you register a website, you have or to give your personals (if you register it as a person) or the company info (if the case of a company), same for any organisation (ask Georges for more details, he will explain about Mr B. Adams Soi Nakakakapak Nakhon Nowhere or something ).

Failure to do so will simply mean the deleting of the website(s) from the DNS after 7 days from the moment if was prooved the name is fake or the assress is fake.

So I simply assumed you are a good citizen, and follow the laws (even if US law, that one is enforceable everywhere). If you did not , please PM your website(s) address and I will be glad to forward it to the people who take of it :o

In the case of a company, then a look to the regular chambers of commerce will give the name of the CEO, ........

Lot of infos can be retrieve, sometimes from long time ago. Once I winessed one a the people who initially created the concept of emails (CERN) totally shocked that I was able to digg the address he used in internal in the CERN in the early 80'. Following that it was possible to follow his career back and forward from that moment. Just there is the need of a starting point, I used the IP adress used to post in TV as exemple, but there is others more accurate and not more complicate to get.

So from you claim to get

DOB

Place of Birth

Full Name

Ethnic origin

Home address

Birth Cert

It's a US law 2004 I think, who was adopted by the top level non profits organiasations that rules the web (such as Apnic, Arin, Internic ....).

When you register a website, you have or to give your personals (if you register it as a person) or the company info (if the case of a company), same for any organisation (ask Georges for more details, he will explain about Mr B. Adams Soi Nakakakapak Nakhon Nowhere or something ).

Failure to do so will simply mean the deleting of the website(s) from the DNS after 7 days from the moment if was prooved the name is fake or the assress is fake.

So I simply assumed you are a good citizen, and follow the laws (even if US law, that one is enforceable everywhere). If you did not , please PM your website(s) address and I will be glad to forward it to the people who take of it :o

In the case of a company, then a look to the regular chambers of commerce will give the name of the CEO, ........

Lot of infos can be retrieve, sometimes from long time ago. Once I winessed one a the people who initially created the concept of emails (CERN) totally shocked that I was able to digg the address he used in internal in the CERN in the early 80'. Following that it was possible to follow his career back and forward from that moment. Just there is the need of a starting point, I used the IP adress used to post in TV as exemple, but there is others more accurate and not more complicate to get.

It asks for an address.. It never asks for my home residential address.. I give an address (though it is easy to specify that this is not looked up via a whois by using a private registrar) so again your wrong and have a lead that is a dead end.

Also you claim to be able to use my IP (posting from a computer in Thailand) to determine my email account website / server.. Pray tell how do you perform the feat of internet wizardry ?? The IP I post from has no relationship to my domains in any case.

Your claims are still all disproven. You said you already had my name, address, country of birth, ethnicity, etc etc etc.. As yet you cant find any of them (even though some are not hard to find I have posted much of this publically anyway) even with me taking no steps for privacy, your post infurs that forum posting exposes you like this, I maintain thats completely innaccurate.

Quoting US laws (that your not even sure of) are a joke to me on the ground.. Take it up with your senator :D

Awaiting my current name, my birth name, my home address, place of birth, all things you claim you already had.

@Living Los,

you should confuse me with another poster, I never claimed I did have them already. I just stated it's possible to get them with a bit a technie work.

As for the laws, I invite you to contact APNIC (the non profit top level organisation for this region) and ask them if I am dreaming or if I amtelling the truth.

If the infos given to the registars are not accurate, then problems can arrise(come?).Yes you can ask to have it not disclosed publicly, but yet it will be in the DB.

I given some ways to proceed, obviously there are others, obviously too that is not the place to also go in more details. If you have some clues on IT , you will have already understood what I say (even if you swear you do not or it's impossible), if not well maybe you will be surprise sooner or later.

Anyway to make it clear I never ever claimed I already have, not I never ever claimed I was able to get your infos; on the other hand I stand in my position that is possible to retrieve a lot of infos as long as at least of accurate piece is found (I already spoked about about Thailand and IP address, but IP address is not the only piece of infos). Years ago a guy was famous for that, Michnick .... It's called social engineery. Mean push someone to give you not the key of the treasure, but a way to go to the key, in that case an address, an IP address, an header ... whatever that can give an idea about you, then ... the rest is only technic as chess players used to say.

Here's a program called CACTUS SPAM

http://www.download.com/Cactus-Spam-Filter...&tag=button

You 'teach" the program to recognize good and bad emails. After training it for a while it starts to recongize the bad stuff which goes right in the trash folder (or you can just flag it as trash).

Best of all...it's FREE (You can make a donation if you want)

I've just started using it this morning and already it's recognizing all the junk stuff that has been so annoying.

Works with most POP3 email clients

Guys,

Thanks for all your responses. I appreciate it.

My email address is one created on a personal server. I am not using an internet company. I have gone into the server and adjusted the spam settings but if I set it too high, then I run the risk of not receiving legitimate emails.

At the same time I have a junk mail filter with my Office Outlook. But it blocks only so much.

Waldwolf … don’t worry about scaring me and thanks for the suggestions. I have re-installed my operating system twice, and that did not solve my problem. I have done the VML test, and it looks as though I am fine.

I have never (to the best of my knowledge) posted my email address on the internet. I have a yahoo account for stuff like that. Although, perhaps someone did it for me. There is absolutely no-way I was surfing on German websites. Especially banks located in Germany.

The worst thing is they are phishing and address me by name.

I am google-able, but there is no link to my email address on the web. I did a search on just about every search engine on the web.

LivinginLOS… if you are American, I “might” be able to get all the information I want on you on the internet. IF I know your first and last name. Regardless of your marital status unless your name changed after you left the states. A lot of private information is considered public information that normally could be obtained from the courthouse, and now with the age of the internet, is now available on the world wide web. If I know the university you attended then I can probably get your social as those idiots have holes and backdoors into their systems. Plus depending on your age, when you went to school they most likely used your social to identify you.

I say it is do-able, heck, the jackasses in the county I was married in, have my marriage information plastered on the web!

So now I wonder, about the free stuff we download.