Border Run - Chiang Mai to Mae Sai - on motorcycle (multi-entry Non-Immigrant "O" visa). Advice?

teflonwulfie

It's okay to do a land-crossing border run, right? Some people are telling me that you can no longer do a border run to Myanmar and back. My visa is a multi-entry non-immigrant "O" and essentially any time I cross the border I am stamped automatically for another 90 days (up to a year). Would this be a problem?

Also, I wanted to do it on motorcycle, would that be an issue?

Its no problem .I have the same multiple O and do my 3 month runs at Mae sai .Leave the bike at the Thai side and walk across the bridge .Plenty of places to park ,just make sure its locked

Its no problem .I have the same multiple O and do my 3 month runs at Mae sai .Leave the bike at the Thai side and walk across the bridge .Plenty of places to park ,just make sure its locked

Ditto... agreed

but its part of the unwritten law that you must stop at the Pie Place south of CR

+1 for Charin Pies

Ditto... agreed

but its part of the unwritten law that you must stop at the Pie Place south of CR

Ditto... agreed

For sure, that's good advice - don't miss the Pie Place.

If you're as old as you look, you might remember another trail back in the '70s.

It started at the Pudding Shop in Sultanamet, Istanbul, and ended at the Pie Shop on Freak Street in Katmandu.

Chiang Mai was only a byway on the Hippie Trail but there are still things around here that bring back memories. The Pie Place is one of them.

As Paul Bowles said about Tangier: "A gong rang twenty-five years ago and I can still hear the timbre and resonance."

Ditto... agreed

Charin !!!!

Ditto... agreed

If you're as old as you look, you might remember another trail back in the '70s.

It started at the Pudding Shop in Sultanamet, Istanbul, and ended at the Pie Shop on Freak Street in Katmandu.

Chiang Mai was only a byway on the Hippie Trail but there are still things around here that bring back memories. The Pie Place is one of them.

As Paul Bowles said about Tangier: "A gong rang twenty-five years ago and I can still hear the timbre and resonance."

Oh my G. those memories !!! had the best Baklava in my life in Istanbul...! still can feel the sweet taste....

Don't do it. I am a motorcycle rider. 6 hours each way, crazy drivers on winding mountain roads. chipnloe tours, on Loi Krow Road from Chang klan, go towards Charoen Prathet, on left side about 250 meters in from Changklan Road.

650 baht up and back,will pick you up where you live.

Don't do it. I am a motorcycle rider. 6 hours each way, crazy drivers on winding mountain roads. chipnloe tours, on Loi Krow Road from Chang klan, go towards Charoen Prathet, on left side about 250 meters in from Changklan Road.

I'm not sure if travelling in a minibus is any safer than driving yourself on a motorbike. whistling.gif Some of the minibus drivers drive like idiots. Probably because they are bored sh*tless driving the same route daily..coffee1.gif

I have done that trip by motorbike .Its a good road ,wide with some hills and bends .Just watch out for those mini vans who drive and overtake like crazy .The safest way is by the big Green bus from Arcade bus station .Take the first bus around 6 am and return on the 3.30 pm or 4.30 pm .You need to book (can do online ) a day or two before .Sometimes they get booked out .

Ditto... agreed

Charin !!!!

Damn, too many people know about this place. Their Pad Siew Gai for lunch with a beer is pretty good too.

On the way back, turn left into Doi Saket. There's a restaurant there on the main drag ( Sam's Place ? ) run by an elderly Thai who speaks excellent

English. Food is Thai fusion, service a bit slow but worth the wait. Very good mussuman curry.

On the way back, turn left into Doi Saket. There's a restaurant there on the main drag ( Sam's Place ? ) run by an elderly Thai who speaks excellent

English. Food is Thai fusion, service a bit slow but worth the wait. Very good mussuman curry.

Is Sam's on the left or right side? Before you reach the traffic lights?

Ditto... agreed

...I'm older than I look......you mention trail back in the 70's ...which 70's ??? 18 or 19

I have done that trip by motorbike .Its a good road ,wide with some hills and bends .Just watch out for those mini vans who drive and overtake like crazy .The safest way is by the big Green bus from Arcade bus station .Take the first bus around 6 am and return on the 3.30 pm or 4.30 pm .You need to book (can do online ) a day or two before .Sometimes they get booked out .

First GREEN bus out of Chiang mai to Mai Sai is at 6:00 am. It always leaves about six ten or a wee bit later. Last bus back from Mae Sai bus stn. is at 3:30 pm. Aircon bus with hong nam....LOW music and NOT freezing cold...ya hear that? But I would still take a long sleeve shirt with me, and some ear plugs ( or tissue to chew up to make some ) If you book ahead of time you may choose a wide seat, although the regular seats are very comfortable, with plenty of legroom, even for a tall man. With the wide (big they call it ) seat you also have a choice of sitting alone....single seat. Actually, if you're like me, too lazy to work (some people call it retired ) you have the time AND you are a biker, jump on the moto cy and GO! Many interesting things to stop and see on the way up...and back. I've made that trip many many times in a day, and I've made the same trip in a week...good road, a small bit of construction here and there at the moment. Not too many crazy drivers on the highway the last few times...not like here in CM anyway. If you have a bike you know what I mean. Oh yeah, if you take the last GREEN bus back from Mai Sai, you will receive a small bottle of water and TWO small packages of cookies. WOW! Don't read the ingredients on the cookies. Just give them to the person beside you ( cruel ) or leave them in the seat ahead of you...or...if you're concerned about anyone's health, just refuse them. Oh, by the way. The Green bus ticket office and departure platform, usually number 21 is located at bus terminal three.

Left side, going towards the lights. Three or four houses along, has a sign saying home cooked meals. Unusual decor, books to read

while you wait, about 3-4 cats lying around. Menu explains the composition of each dish. Relaxed vibe.

Edited by bazza40

Great fun on a motorbike, although i have not done the ride for a visa. When leaving or before you enter Mai Sai take the mountain road 1149 towards Mae Fa Luang, beautiful views into Burma.

post-112020-0-45174400-1458349539_thumb.

Ditto... agreed

Oh my G. those memories !!! had the best Baklava in my life in Istanbul...! still can feel the sweet taste....

And the chicken puddings (tavuk gotsu)

Fish from a boat at the Galata Bridge....

Ditto... agreed

Charin !!!!

Damn, too many people know about this place. Their Pad Siew Gai for lunch with a beer is pretty good too.

Yeah excellent cakes and food but shitty coffee !!...

Left side, going towards the lights. Three or four houses along, has a sign saying home cooked meals. Unusual decor, books to read

while you wait, about 3-4 cats lying around. Menu explains the composition of each dish. Relaxed vibe.

Edited by merlin2002

Thanks..

Charin !!!!

Yeah excellent cakes and food but shitty coffee !!...

Completely agree, which is why I get my pies at Charin on the way back, then continue on to Doi Chang's coffee shop about 15 km on.

Done the ride a few times, i like to go up there on road 107 through MaeAi and explore around there and come back via CR, road 118. In Mae Sai i just leave the bike at the hotel and walk up to the border in the morning.

May be different in your case but when thai girls know your going up there they start requesting you to buy them some girly stuff (handbags ect) at the markets, its all fakes and copies of expensive ones of course, the market is to the left of the border gate

Edited by Jdiddy

Done the ride a few times, i like to go up there on road 107 through MaeAi and explore around there and come back via CR, road 118. In Mae Sai i just leave the bike at the hotel and walk up to the border in the morning.

May be different in your case but when thai girls know your going up there they start requesting you to buy them some girly stuff (handbags ect) at the markets, its all fakes and copies of expensive ones of course, the market is to the left of the border gate

Other things to buy there .Blue ray DVDs at B30 to B50 .CDs B10 to B30 .Beer ,wine and liquor .

Excellent ride for an experienced biker, 2.5-3 hrs fast ride without getting silly.

First time I did it they were still resurfacing the road, made it interesting to say the least.

Leave your bike in the large car park beyond the 3 star hotel, give the lad B20 and he will guard with gratitude.

A pleasant day out.

john

Other things to buy there .Blue ray DVDs at B30 to B50 .CDs B10 to B30 .Beer ,wine and liquor .

I'd be very wary of any form of liquor. Could be cat piss, or laced with methanol so it literally sends you blind.

>>I'd be very wary of any form of liquor. Could be cat piss, or laced with methanol so it literally sends you blind.<<

The drink shop on the bridge itself in no mans land ,i found fine for beer and wine .I never bought Liquor though .

How about here?

New Border Trade Point opens in Chiang Dao

Governor Pawin Chaminprasat presides over the grand opening of the new border trade point at Kew Pha Wok in Chiang Dao district of Chiang Mai.

Can we cross and get same stamp here as well?

Edited by heazille