What is Thainess?

Saan

Off topic posts removed.

Lets not derail into a debate about the use of "English" please.

(extract from rules)

be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt very much that these politicians the OP speaks of was speaking in English. Perhaps the Thai version of the word.

So what's Thainess from the farang perspective? It's exactly the same as being proud to be an American. Or being an Australian. Or being English. Or being French. Get it, OP?

You have found one right here.

I am American and proud of it.

I am sure there are many more out there and many proud English people too.

You have blinded yourself with your personal opinions.

I have no problem with you being proud to be an American (what country do you live in)

But if I read you correct you are saying there is some thing wrong with a Thai being proud to be a Thai.

I doubt very much that these politicians the OP speaks of was speaking in English. Perhaps the Thai version of the word.

So what's Thainess from the farang perspective? It's exactly the same as being proud to be an American. Or being an Australian. Or being English. Or being French. Get it, OP?

I have no problem with you being proud to be an American (what country do you live in)

But if I read you correct you are saying there is some thing wrong with a Thai being proud to be a Thai.

'pride' and 'nationalism' is one of the biggest causes of conflict in human history whatever country, football team or gang it is

I have reviewed my and found nothing that indicates that I feel anything is wrong with Thais being proud of being Thai.

That is not how I feel at all.

They have as much right and reason to be prous as anyone else does.

being proud of something that they have not achieved themselves is the attitude of non-achievers whistling.gif

I actually agree with you...from a purely semantics point-of-view. But the opposite of proud is not proud. Those are the only two options. Someone who says they're indifferent is actually "not proud." So why would someone not be proud of their cultural heritage? Doesn't matter.

But why do you think politicians constantly push that agenda? And get standing ovations for doing so? Because it sells. I think most people do keep their "proudness" to themselves, but politicians will do what they do.

being proud of something that they have not achieved themselves is the attitude of non-achievers whistling.gif

I actually agree with you...from a purely semantics point-of-view. But the opposite of proud is not proud. Those are the only two options. Someone who says they're indifferent is actually "not proud." So why would someone not be proud of their cultural heritage? Doesn't matter.

But why do you think politicians constantly push that agenda? And get standing ovations for doing so? Because it sells. I think most people do keep their "proudness" to themselves, but politicians will do what they do.

i agree that the opposite of proud is "not proud" and that the opposite of black is [perhaps] white. but what is not black is not necessarily white because there is green, red, blue, etc.

because most politicians are non-achievers applauded mostly by non-achievers. exceptions prove the rule.

all afore-said of course in my [not so] humble opinion wai2.gif