EU, Turkey strike heralded migrant deal but costs are high

rooster59

EU, Turkey strike heralded migrant deal but costs are high

LORNE COOK, Associated Press
MENELAOS HADJICOSTIS, Associated Press

BRUSSELS (AP) — European Union and Turkish leaders celebrated a "historic day" after sealing a widely-criticized pact to send thousands of asylum-seekers back to Turkey — a deal that will cost millions and require the rapid dispatch of thousands of experts to Greece to undertake the complicated task of making the plan a reality.

Amid broad smiles and congratulatory slaps on the back, the leaders announced that as of Sunday, all migrants arriving in the Greek islands who do not qualify for asylum or whose applications are deemed "inadmissible" would be returned to Turkey.

In exchange, Ankara was promised fast-track procedures to get billions in aid to deal with Syrian refugees, unprecedented visa concessions for Turks to come to Europe and a re-energizing of its EU membership bid.

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, whose country is home to almost 3 million Syria refugees, proclaimed the agreement a momentous occasion.

"This is a historic day," a beaming Davutoglu told reporters. "We today realized that Turkey and the EU have the same destiny, the same challenges, and the same future."

The arrival of more than 1 million migrants over the past year has plunged Europe into one of its biggest existential crises, not due to the numbers as such but rather the inability of the 28 member states to agree on the best way to tackle the challenge and maintain unity.

Friday's agreement was met with strenuous objections by humanitarian organizations. The U.N. refugee agency had already highlighted deficiencies in Turkey's asylum system, and rights groups expressed concern about Ankara's media crackdown, rights abuses and its long, bloody conflict with Kurdish separatists.

But such was Europe's desperation that the wealthy economic bloc was ready to declare Turkey a "safe country" for asylum-seekers to be sent to, even though each year at least one of every five Turkish citizens who apply for asylum is granted it in some European countries.

When asked whether he agreed that it was a historic day, the man who chaired the summit, EU Council President Donald Tusk, said he wasn't sure.

"I'm not a prophet, but for today this is one of the most important achievements that we could have expected," Tusk said.

For rights group Amnesty International, European promises that the pact would respect international law "appear suspiciously like sugar-coating the cyanide pill that refugee protection in Europe has just been forced to swallow."

"The 'double-speak' this deal is cloaked in fails to hide the European Union's dogged determination to turn its back on a global refugee crisis, and willfully ignore its international obligations", said John Dalhuisen, Amnesty's director for Europe and Central Asia.

Under the plan, the EU would pay to send new migrants arriving in Greece who don't qualify for asylum back to Turkey. This could include tens of thousands who might otherwise qualify but whose applications could be declared inadmissible because Turkey's likely new "safe country" designation means they should have applied for asylum in Turkey rather than trying to reach richer nations in the European heartland.

For every Syrian returned, the EU would accept one Syrian refugee from Turkey to ensure that no more people are added to the estimated 2.7 million Syrians already living in that country.

To make it all work, some 4,000 people would have to be deployed, including border guards, migration officers, translators and other staff, at a cost of 300 million euros ($340 million) in just the first six months, according to the EU's executive commission.

Greece would also deploy monitors to the Turkish coast, just five miles (nine kilometers) from the Greek island of Lesbos, a major entry point over the last year for people seeking sanctuary or jobs in Europe.

Up to 6 billion euros ($6.6 billion) will have to be found for Syrian refugees in Turkey in coming years, and Europe must move quickly to open a new chapter in membership talks with Turkey by June and pave the way for visa-free travel for Turkish citizens, if Turkey can meet the benchmarks in time.

The U.S. State Department called the deal an important step and praised Turkey's generosity in hosting over 2.7 million Syrian refugees to date.

"The United States stands ready to increase our support to affected countries and to help other nations neighboring Syria," State Department Spokesperson John Kirby said in a statement issued Friday.

For German Chancellor Angela Merkel the agreement is a "clear message" to would-be migrants to stop taking to boats to cross the Aegean to reach Greece. Leaders hope the plan will see the crossings dry up within a month.

Still, the ultimate effectiveness of the pact was unclear because there are alternative routes to Europe, notably crossing the Mediterranean from Libya to Italy.

Merkel urged around 14,000 people camped in a muddy tent city at Idomeni on Greece's blocked northern border with Macedonia to "trust the Greek government and move to other accommodation where the conditions will be significantly better."

It's the kind of advice unlikely to impress those stuck in Idomeni, particularly those who are not Syrian but had hoped to apply for asylum in Germany or Scandinavia, having also fled conflict themselves.

Saif Saied, a 23-year-old Iraqi refugee, said the deal is "a bad situation because we have fled from the wars. From Iraq we fled from a war."

Muhammad Hassan, a Syrian from the devastated city of Aleppo who had been looking for relief from the talks in Brussels, wondered why a continent of 500 million people could not deal with the crisis.

"Europe have only 1 million" migrants, said Hassan, speaking in broken English. "How come it's difficult?"

Comparing the EU to Lebanon, a nation of 5.9 million, where millions of Syrians have fled, he added: "If a small country takes 3 million refugees... how about Europe? It's not difficult."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-03-19

Lol EU gave 300 billion euros to bail out Greece, but when they give 6 billion to us to keep migrants out, suddenly the costs are high. We deserve at least 25-30, we are hosting 3 million people. Whether you like it or not Turkey shares a border with 2 EU states.

Edited by Lukecan

quote "
For German Chancellor Angela Merkel the agreement is a "clear message" to would-be migrants to stop taking to boats to cross the Aegean to reach Greece. Leaders hope the plan will see the crossings dry up within a month."

Excuse me, but Angela invited them. Invited. Asked them to come, anyone and everyone, with or wihout documents, and promised she would pay them and all their extended family welfare for ever and a day. Thats why there are so many boats crossing the Med and thats why it is not going to stop. If she rescinds the invite it would be a step in the right direction.

That's OK. Just print more Euros. Bring in countless Turks into Europe because they are just one big happy family with exactly the same culture.

Every day I watch Europe sell itself down the drain. It will be unrecognizable in 20 years if it isn't already. I don't think Mohammed is interested in building Volkswagens. He was told he'd get a free ride. Everything is free in Europe, doncha know.

Cheers.

That's OK. Just print more Euros. Bring in countless Turks into Europe because they are just one big happy family with exactly the same culture.

Every day I watch Europe sell itself down the drain. It will be unrecognizable in 20 years if it isn't already. I don't think Mohammed is interested in building Volkswagens. He was told he'd get a free ride. Everything is free in Europe, doncha know.

Cheers.

There are roughly 3.5 million turks in Germany, they have contributed greatly. A lot of mohammeds, hasans, ismails, mustafas have built those benz, fords, volkswagens.

I dont think that manufacturing boom would be able to happen without those Turkish guestworkers.

Edited by Lukecan

Lol EU gave 300 billion euros to bail out Greece, but when they give 6 billion to us to keep migrants out, suddenly the costs are high. We deserve at least 25-30, we are hosting 3 million people. Whether you like it or not Turkey shares a border with 2 EU states.

What? Germany hosts 1 million refugees only last year. And in a much more professional and human way than the careless attempts, or no attempts really, of Turkey. Germany should get 10, 15 billion euros? From who?

What sort of mentality is that? One thing is sure, Turkey is using the refugees within their borders as pawns in blackmailing for money and visa rights. And thats the reason they never did the slightest attempt to stop the human traffickers from sending people and children on silly rubber boats.

Unless Turkey is insincere, it has exhibited an inability to control it's borders , as seen by the millions of refugees arriving in Europe via Turkey.

If Turkey is allowed induction in the EU, how is that going to change?

With a 1200 km of border with Syria and Iraq, even Trump would not be able to build the necessary wall

Unless Turkey is insincere, it has exhibited an inability to control it's borders , as seen by the millions of refugees arriving in Europe via Turkey.

If Turkey is allowed induction in the EU, how is that going to change?

With a 1200 km of border with Syria and Iraq, even Trump would not be able to build the necessary wall

Turkey is insincere AND incapable.

Sadly EU does share a border with Turkey. A islamistic dictatorial nation.

Cheers.

My family came from Europe. Why can't I go back? You'd think they'd usher me to the front of the line. ermm.gif

Cheers.

There are roughly 3.5 million turks in Germany, they have contributed greatly. A lot of mohammeds, hasans, ismails, mustafas have built those benz, fords, volkswagens.

I dont think that manufacturing boom would be able to happen without those Turkish guestworkers.

Personally, I think they should let in 14 million more.

If Europe is sincere, (which I do not believe) all they will be doing is exchanging Syrian

migrants for Turkish migrants. Turkey does have a vested interest here though. They

are currently the largest foreign diaspora in Germany. Syrians and others are filling

their place there. With all the other migrants arriving their will be no place for any

legal migration or underground migration of Turks. The EU will give Turkey billions

but allow Turkey into the EU and instantly have 8-10 million migrants heading for the

UK, Germany, Sweden, etc. Shear madness. Cameron will do everything possible

to cover up this deal until after the Brexit vote. If the UK thought for one instant that

Turkey would be allowed in they would vote out in a heartbeat. Poland, Czech Republic,

Hungary etc.. consider the UK their home away from home. They will not want Turkey

in either even though Turks will not be headed there. coffee1.gif

Cheers.

As far as I know those Turkish got paid fairly in their jobs in Germany and other countries, which is more than ccan be said of the exploitation of Syrian and other refugees by Turkish people.

By the way, after decades a lot of those Turks in Germany and other West European countries still can't speak the language of the country that they are living in, but are weighing very heavy on the healthcare system of those countries. So who got the better deal here?

Cheers.

As far as I know those Turkish got paid fairly in their jobs in Germany and other countries, which is more than ccan be said of the exploitation of Syrian and other refugees by Turkish people.

By the way, after decades a lot of those Turks in Germany and other West European countries still can't speak the language of the country that they are living in, but are weighing very heavy on the healthcare system of those countries. So who got the better deal here?

Turks have a strong sense of belonging, you put a turk in a foreign nation they won't be assamilated . Whats wrong with wanting to preserve your culture? The coolest part of Berlin is Kreuzberg, where predominantly Turks live.

i dont support this deal. national threat for turkey to keep this many migrants inside, some bombed around for isis and they will be a vote stock for Erdogan. this will turn turkey into a migrant factory and a prison for unwilling migrants. not all turks want to see around millions of migrants like europeans too!

skirt of europe is down! compromises were made fully and turks got what they wanted.

what a mistake from europe.

turks will invade europe once again! joke aside, i dont believe it will be many millions but sure many will try their chances.

but if turks get rid of islamofascist Erdogan and willingly integrate to europe with no stupid fears of assimilation at social media age(we all assimilated with globalization anyway!), they could be a good asset for europe in the long run. lots of young educated labor for aging europe, vibrant economy, strong army and strategical location. and anyway, europeans and turks live as neighbors for nearly a millennium now.

This is a really obvious perspective, though I had not considered it this way before. Thanks.

Turkey has played the EU like a fiddle, using the refugees for a bow.

This is exactly the case. No matter the reason or provocations Turkey really bent the EU over. In fact, I have seen nothing in Turkey's vision or policies to indicate any particular genius lately. The EU would have had to negotiate this arrangement much the way Kerry negotiated with Iran- bent over diplomatically, monetary hands taped to their posterity's ankles. In other words, EU would have likely fought to give Turkey whatever it wanted and more. Sadly, by this act Turkey is further empowered, but not Turkey nationally; Turkey, the new cult of personality Turkey that is a hybrid mix of cult and islamic supremacy. Good job EU.

Commercial break: "The EU, building Tomorrow's Masters Today."

Cheers.

Turks have a strong sense of belonging, you put a turk in a foreign nation they won't be assamilated . Whats wrong with wanting to preserve your culture? The coolest part of Berlin is Kreuzberg, where predominantly Turks live.

This morning I saw a report about the expoitation of Syrian refugees in Turkish sweatshops. Congratulations on your sense of belonging and preserving your culture.

This morning I saw a report about the expoitation of Syrian refugees in Turkish sweatshops. Congratulations on your sense of belonging and preserving your culture.

what a hypocrisy! both complaining about migrant's conditions in turkey and the asking and complaining like why there are so many migrants and outsiders in europe!

this my friend is a classic european hypocrisy oh sorry mentality.

if you dont like their conditions so maybe you ask turks to send them to europe? maybe to your neighborhood? and maybe you take care a couple of them at your house? for better conditions you know.

i am sure you and your neighbors will like them a lot there.

so if europe having such a mess nearly borderlining the collapse of EU for a million migrants and dont want to accept more, you have no chance to complain about turkey regarding the conditions of 3 million migrants that are taken care for many years, good or bad, still many are doing well. turks also work at sweat shops too.

Edited by Galactus

Hypocrisy? I'd say realism, living up to the facts. And once again that overblown nationalism is taking the better of the Turks. Same as the continuous denial of the Armenian genocide. Basically I say every country should take care of its own shit, but Turkey is very good at holding its hand up, and using the refugees as bargaining chips. And interesting to hear from you that exploiting refugees is quite ok. It is against the law in Western Europe, but maybe you're not aware of that. One more reason to keep Turkey as far away from the EU as possible.

Again, Turkey is blackmailing the EU, over the backs of refugees, whatever the EU did right or wrong. And the EU did many things wrong in my opinion. But exploiting refugees is not one of them. Thats something Turkey can be champion of. I'm fine with the EU financing refugee camps, schools, etc. But dealing with Turkey has proved to be very dodgy, as history has shown.

Edited by Presto

Cheers.

Bits and pieces of truth everywhere... let's get the easy things out of the way. Yes, the Turkish guest-workers have played their part in making Germany's economy big. They were called in and played their part providing cheap manual labour, in exchange for a chance for a better life. Germany was not exceedingly generous, but there were things not to be sneezed at, such as health insurance for their families back home, a pension scheme, etc.. And the first generation was no problem in themselves, no criminality, no demands everyone around them change their way of life, no nothing.

The real immigration started in the early 70ies when Germany raised child-benefits by 50 Marks, but tried to limit that to children inside the country and thereby underestimated the pull-factor that would present. So when I went to primary school 78-81 we had classes full of Turkish children who could not speak any German and consequently were hidden away in the dark attic of the school with Turkish teachers, 5 of the brightest making it into my class with 20 German children. They *never* were a problem. They just adapted, sought social contact, they had to being a minority, German was OK towards the end. The one girl made it to Realschule (that's the intermediary secondary education that gets you into a skilled job, even college; don't need to tell you, it's for the rest here), one of the 4 boys made it to some technical college later, rest found a job for all I know. Stories of relative success.

There were some mildly frightening things going on. For one, when we got bused off for swimming lessons we were joined by two fully Turkish classes; it was like the Huns storming that school-bus and they were only smelling of roses after swimming. And apparently they had to be escorted by the first male primary school teachers I ever saw. OK, the little hick-ups of adaption to a totally strange country, that sort of thing -especially hygiene- is definitely over. The unnerving thing was the ability of seemingly every boy "to summon the Turks", that's what they called it, i.e. if there was some little quarrel you suddenly had 20 or so of the little ankle-biters coming at you. That was child's play back then, but apparently it's part of today's problems. And it's obviously a different kind of problem if you're talking burly teenagers in secondary school.

The first generation, i.e. the parents of those children above, where compliant, doing their jobs, keeping to themselves. While that is not a good thing as such, I suppose they had to, nobody had thought it necessary to organize any German courses for them, as anybody thought they'd be leaving again. Big mistake and fundamental oversight, them leaving or not. And I put the general positive outcome down to them having been socialized for two generations in Turkey under a Kemalist government, i.e. secularized, by force where necessary, from what I've learned old Kemal Attatürk had a lot of all the right ideas (maybe that is my Western point of view) and did a lot for Turkey. Sad to see how Erdogan seems to be turning back the wheels of time.

If I were to give an assessment, I'd say about HALF the ...it's probably a bit more than 4 million Turks including those with a German passport, nobody knows exactly, and a lesser portion of the roughly 800k Arabs so far... are doing very much alright, in varying degrees, right to the very best that ever could have happened to Germany by way of immigration. This is absolute gut-feeling, my feeling on how things are going in Germany. Gut-feeling, an opinion. And it's sorta localized, my own small home town used to be heavily industrialized, so we got some 20% Turkish-background inhabitants... and it's no probs at all. Largely, with some minor worries.

There's nothing wrong with saying something positive here, to start with. I actually think, Germany had a streak of luck with the Turkish immigrants for the secularization I referred to above, France had it much worse with its Muslim immigrants, i.e. Algerians. Partly their own fault, even this Cem Özdemir fellow from the German Greens says Germany didn't get everything wrong on integration. And Britain's Pakistanis seem to be their own hard-core story, partially again, I can't even give that gut-feeling on what's going on there, in Tower Hamlets, in Luton's Bury Park area.

It's the other half (and a correspondingly larger percentage of Arabs) that is worrying me, again in varying degrees, and I am not referring to terrorists. I am going to write about what I think appears to be the problem in a follow-up post.

Hypocrisy? I'd say realism, living up to the facts. And once again that overblown nationalism is taking the better of the Turks. Same as the continuous denial of the Armenian genocide. Basically I say every country should take care of its own shit, but Turkey is very good at holding its hand up, and using the refugees as bargaining chips. And interesting to hear from you that exploiting refugees is quite ok. It is against the law in Western Europe, but maybe you're not aware of that. One more reason to keep Turkey as far away from the EU as possible.

Again, Turkey is blackmailing the EU, over the backs of refugees, whatever the EU did right or wrong. And the EU did many things wrong in my opinion. But exploiting refugees is not one of them. Thats something Turkey can be champion of. I'm fine with the EU financing refugee camps, schools, etc. But dealing with Turkey has proved to be very dodgy, as history has shown.

again, you dont answer my questions and hiding on a poor rhetoric plus Armenian genocide. this topic is not about that but it is easy to hide behind it for you it looks like.

so answer me, do you want to host those so called exploited migrants in your home or neighborhood while you are complaining about migrants and outsiders at the same time? (you sound confused or hypocrite)

if cannot, you have no chance to say any word to a country hosting 3 million+ syrians while you dont want to even get one to your home or neighborhood to support?

if it is against the law in Europe, maybe Europeans consider to get all those 3 millions migrants from Turkey but clearly no. Europeans dont want any more migrants that is why they beg turks to keep them in Turkey.

so, if it is about laws, jet get all those migrants from Turkey, if you cannot just close your mouth and let others at least good or bad take care of 3 million+ syrians.

i fully oppose this agreement. Turks need to open their land borders and send all 3 million refugees to Europe. let them deal. these people want to go to Europe anyway.

Edited by Galactus

@Saradoc72

Believe it or not the only western nation that has a favorable view among the local population in Turkey is Germany.

The friendship dates back to the end of 1800s and the start of 1900s. First world war to be exact, Ottomans were aligned with Germany.

Germany is seen as a symbol of bravery,discipline and high quality in Turkey.

One of the highest ranking Ottoman commanders Enver Pasha was a huge admirer of Germany, he wanted the new Turkish state to become powerful as Germany someday. At that time Germany was the strongest country in the world military wise.

For example when a turk talks with another turk they will refer to someone from Britain as gevur(foreigner) but if you are a German they will say he is ALMAN(German), its like something they do without knowing it. Basically gevur = farang. The word Alman carries much higher value than gevur.

Its funny there was a poll conducted 3 years ago. The most 2nd most favorably viewed historical figure in the last 100 years in Turkey is Adolf Hitler, right after Ataturk

Looking at the big picture I would say the Turkish story in Germany is a success. Most of them are very loyal to their guest state. I haven't seen any of them bad mouthing Germany when they came back, can't say the same about the Turks in France,Britain etc.

Edited by ChimeIn