Casual cycling in PP

letudraceh

In Thai, I bought a cheap bike at Big C for 3000 baht and I still ride it every day for over 10 years. The bike and I have no scratches. I know many people feel it's dangerous or the air is dirty or it's too hot but I don't feel that way.

I am thinking of moving to PP and wish to cycle everywhere as my main transportation as I do in Thai.

Does anyone know if I can get a bike for about $100 and is PP small enough to get everywhere with ease?

I have no idea re price of bikes, maybe others can advise.

But I can tell you that Phnom Penh is not small enough to bike everywhere, if you mean everywhere in the entire city. The areas popular with expats are fairly compact, though.

It is not at all a bike friendly situation...no bike lanes, not always any sidewalks either, and very bad traffic with drivers who will not look out for a cyclist. A little better if you avoid main streets and rush hour.

I have no idea re price of bikes, maybe others can advise.

But I can tell you that Phnom Penh is not small enough to bike everywhere, if you mean everywhere in the entire city. The areas popular with expats are fairly compact, though.

It is not at all a bike friendly situation...no bike lanes, not always any sidewalks either, and very bad traffic with drivers who will not look out for a cyclist. A little better if you avoid main streets and rush hour.

Sounds like you're describing Pattaya and Bangkok. If I can cycle in those places, I think I'll feel right at home cycling in PP. Amongst the many great benefits of cycling: no police fines, can park everywhere, few people will steal a cheap looking bike, good exercise, stress relief, no petrol, weight loss, no operating costs, easy to store, and no license required. If and when I'm done with it, I donate it to the orphanage.

There are budget bicycle stores on main road between airport and PP

Cross the Tonle Sap and there's and outdoor used bike place

tumblr_lzzrnuWGb61r93joro1_1280.jpg

Local style

tumblr_lzznnrmQ3D1r93joro5_1280.jpg

I prefer hybrid/mountain bike, cross the TL and lots of quiet unsealed roads to explore, just 20 min from the busy streets of PP, like this:

tumblr_lwuu365urL1r93joro3_1280.jpg

Cambodia has quite a cycling industry:

Cambodia-bicycles.jpg?resize=535%2C357

Cambodia began producing and exporting bicycles in large numbers in 2006. The addition of new factories resulted in bicycle exports increasing more than ten-fold since then.

Cambodia is now the second largest bicycle exporter to Europe.

Production is driven by Taiwan-owned manufacturers which operate five of the six production facilities in the country, as well as a US firm

http://investvine.com/cambodian-bikes-a-big-hit-in-europe/

I used to cycle in Phnom Penh. It's doable but can be incredibly intimidating during rush hour when everyone wants your little piece of road. $100 will buy a pretty poor bike in Cambodia. Essentially Chinese made lousy "racing" style bike and won't be any improvements on the one you could buy for $35... if you want something a little better, be prepared to pay $300-$400 for a Giant or something like that.

Archived