Court postpones pre-trial hearing of defamation case against a junior citizen journalist

webfact

Court postpones pre-trial hearing of defamation case against a junior citizen journalist

276-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court today (Monday) postponed the preliminary hearing of a defamation case brought against a citizen journalist of Thai PBS TV station and four other people by Thung Kham gold mining company in Loei province.

Thung Kham company asked for the postponement of the pre-trial hearing claiming that it was still waiting for documentary evidence from the Office of Basic Industry and Mining.

In the lawsuit, Thung Kham company has demanded 50 million baht in compensation from the five defendants, including Thai PBS. The company also demanded that Thai PBS be suspended from broadcasting for five years.

Regarding the citizen journalist who is still a minor, Thung Kham said that the management remains undecided whether the withdraw defamation charge against him or not. But the Child Protection Office in Loei has turned down the request that the underaged journalist be put on trial.

Police are yet to issue a summons to question the boy.

The Criminal Court set a new date for the pre-trial hearing on May 30.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/156107

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-22

The "boy" is a girl and should file a defamation case for being falsely depicted as a boy.

Gold miner goes ahead with legal action against schoolgirl, 15

Visarut Sankam

The Nation December 17, 2015 1:00 am

Thung Kham Ltd will tomorrow go to the Loei Juvenile Observation and Protection Centre to take legal action against a 15-year-old schoolgirl for her allegedly libellous reporting as part of Thai Public Broadcasting Service’s TV citizen-reporter scheme, according to Thung Kham’s legal department.

Hmmm, OK, I am not a cultural imperialist...still.

Dear Prime Minister, I hear you recognize there is a need to cut down on corruption in Thailand. Sooo, I encourage you and those wishing to cut down on corruption to address a change in Thai Law. If a statement is made about an individual, business or Thai institution and the statement is true, there is no court finding of defamation, loss of face, etc. if the statement is false, the court finds the person making the false statement guilty of defamation. I would observe that this will be more consistent with international understanding of slander or libel. It will take time to bring Thai culture to this new understanding but addressing this issue will help.

Yea, I know, whistling in the wind. But still...I may be a dreamer, but I am not the only one.

The question is , was the junior citizen jerno correct in the reporting and is this mining company trying every trick in the book to shut people up with intimidation, so that the real truth wont get out, I have my doubts about this company.....................................................coffee1.gif

The case seems to be in a right mess,when they don't even know

the young defendant is a GIRL,not a boy,don't think they could get

away with it in Australia

regards worgeordie

The villagers had to ask the RTP for help , that shows how badly this country runs it mining , where was the mines , health and environment inspectors , probably frightened they will be disappeared.