Elephant Kills Longtime Mahout at Chiang Mai Zoo

webfact

Elephant Kills Longtime Mahout at Chiang Mai Zoo
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14587071301458707158l.jpg
Elephants cool off March 13 at Chiang Mai Zoo. Photo: Chiang Mai Zoo / Facebook

CHIANG MAI — A mahout was killed by an elephant yesterday at Chiang Mai Zoo.

Somsak Panna was herding bull elephant Billy back to his corral to feed him breakfast Tuesday morning when the 25-year-old pachyderm gored the keeper with his tusk.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1458707130

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-03-23

It seems the Elephants are getting tired of been poked in the head with sharp,

sticks and are fighting back,there was another one killed at the Elephant park

just a few days ago.

regards Worgeordie

why do people think that because you have owned or worked with your pet animal for the past 5, 10, 15 years .. that it is safe and will never be a threat.

This is nonsense .......... Yesterday a lady who owner three dogs since they were pups was attacked and hospitalised as a result. Animals will attack their owner in an instant ... they do not care that you are their keeper for years , they will attack you and kill you if that's what they are suddenly thinking of.

Elephants will attack anyone at any time, lions, tigers, dogs, snakes and any other animal will all attack their owner or anyone in a flash !!

stay safe ... but use common sense ....

just a few days ago.

regards Worgeordie

Come on! They are such gentle animals that love to play with people. 100% domesticated. laugh.png

wai2.gif

Condolences to the family of the deceased. Another death caused by being around these magnificent beasts in captivity.sad.png

It's hot season , elephants generally don't like the heat. Could also be in musth too

Gosh, I wonder why the OP didn't mention those things?

Elephants don't like the heat? You do know that they are tropical animals and will have never experienced anything other tropical weather, ever?

It's hot season , elephants generally don't like the heat. Could also be in musth too

Elephants don't like the heat? You do know that they are tropical animals and will have never experienced anything other tropical weather, ever?

Obviously the Arctic Elephant is excluded from that last comment that I made.

We met this Mahout last September and he was very proud of the 2 elephants in his care. He didn't have a sharp metal stick and was obviously a caring man. He played a small guitar for them and they seemed to love the music! Very sad and may he rest in peace sad.png

At least those elephants have some water to cool off in....went to Songkhla Zoo about a week ago, and my God , that place should be closed immediately to protect the few animals that are left....including the 2 elephants who seem to be half crazy from the heat....

Wild animals are best left in a natural environment...killing people...either accidentally or not...is what happens over time...lions, tigers, elephants and others have all killed their owners and handlers...

No...I do not know how many elephants kill Americans so we can make a stupid comparison...

just a few days ago.

regards Worgeordie

The word is getting around that nothing happens to these killer Elephants.

The Elephants all planning to take over many Countries

We met this Mahout last September and he was very proud of the 2 elephants in his care. He didn't have a sharp metal stick and was obviously a caring man. He played a small guitar for them and they seemed to love the music! Very sad and may he rest in peace sad.png

I also met him, in 2013. Yes... a caring, and very friendly nice man... No... he didn't have a sharp metal stick when we met. He seemed to love the elephants he took care of.

This is a very sad piece of news...sad.pngหลับให้สบาย Requiescat In Pacé

Edited by Catoni

In their natural environments animals are able to find areas where it`s cool or warm. In a zoo and trapped in confined areas this is not possible, spraying them with water is not sufficient. These animals are only there for one purpose and that is to make money at the most economical ways to the zoo, the needs of the animals are last on the list and why I won`t visit those places.

And Hannibal's' elephants?

just a few days ago.

regards Worgeordie

And I think that the elephants miss logging - big timecoffee1.gif

And Hannibal's' elephants?

They nearly all died en route

Love all these Elephant experts trying to explain what happened... Why not just chalk it up to "Sheet Happens". Maybe the elephant was just having a bad day or maybe someone had just tossed him a banana with a hot pepper stuffed inside. An infinite number of unknown reasons could have set it off.