Tourist Ban

Immigration Bureau chief Pol. Lt. Gen. Suwat Thamrongsrisakul informed the reporters that the new visa regulations, which will take effect from October 1, are aimed to prevent foreign tourists from commiting crime, or creating social problems.

Under the existing system, foreigners from 41 countries which have good relations with Thailand , are granted 30-day tourist visas, which can be extended twice from within the country.

Under the new system, the tourists will only be permited to 30-day tourist visas, which could then be extended twice, after that they will have to leave the kingdom for at least 90 days before coming back in again. Meaning Tourists who have stayed in Thailand for 90 days, must stay out of the Kingdom for at least 90 days before being permitted a re-entry.

I think that we are all going to make some drastic adjustments. The face of Thai tourism will change.

"I think that we are all going to make some drastic adjustments. The face of Thai tourism will change."

i don't think that somebody staying in Thailand more than three months is or can be called a tourist. i also don't see a reason why i should make drastic adjustments. but i admit that it is bad luck and unjust for those who would like to live in Thailand but do not meet the criteria for longer stays.

interesting, should affect the border hoppers, more than anyone else

I have a feeling ... that this is referring to the 28 countries reported on earlier today (the old VOA countries) So no real impact for most people

Immigration Bureau chief Pol. Lt. Gen. Suwat Thamrongsrisakul informed the reporters that the new visa regulations, which will take effect from October 1, are aimed to prevent foreign tourists from commiting crime, or creating social problems.

Am I missing something?

How will the new visa regulations prevent foreign tourists from committing crime, or creating social problems?

Does he mean that most foreigners who previousely stayed more than 90 days in the Kingdom are criminals or create social problems :o

Dear Immigration Bureau chief Pol. Lt. Gen. Suwat Thamrongsrisakul please enlighten me :D

Edited by tartempion

"I think that we are all going to make some drastic adjustments. The face of Thai tourism will change."

i don't think that somebody staying in Thailand more than three months is or can be called a tourist. i also don't see a reason why i should make drastic adjustments. but i admit that it is bad luck and unjust for those who would like to live in Thailand but do not meet the criteria for longer stays.

strange i still think of myself as a tourist, i left uni in 1997 and have been bouncing about the world since. I have a couple of properties now from my efforts and trading company. Just arrived back in Thailand. but have been here for the most part of the past decade. 30 years old now. Whats next? Dont want a work permit, dont want to marry but now cant really consider Bangkok as my base. Any offers?

strange i still think of myself as a tourist, i left uni in 1997 and have been bouncing about the world since. I have a couple of properties now from my efforts and trading company. Just arrived back in Thailand. but have been here for the most part of the past decade. 30 years old now. Whats next? Dont want a work permit, dont want to marry but now cant really consider Bangkok as my base. Any offers?

"strange i still think of myself as a tourist"

Sorry you are not a tourist.

The current, so called, 'shake-up' will have no effect on tourists..... the bad press on the other hand :o

There is so much misinformation in the first post that my head is spinning :o . It is pretty clearly refering to the VFE (Visa Free Entry) and nothing to do with tourist visas - but the journalist got all terminology wrong....

Cheers!

Under the existing system, foreigners from 41 countries which have good relations with Thailand , are granted 30-day tourist visas, which can be extended twice from within the country.

Under the new system, the tourists will only be permited to 30-day tourist visas, which could then be extended twice, after that they will have to leave the kingdom for at least 90 days before coming back in again. Meaning Tourists who have stayed in Thailand for 90 days, must stay out of the Kingdom for at least 90 days before being permitted a re-entry.

I think that we are all going to make some drastic adjustments. The face of Thai tourism will change.

"strange i still think of myself as a tourist"

Sorry you are not a tourist.

The current, so called, 'shake-up' will have no effect on tourists..... the bad press on the other hand :o

yes lets all give the whole thing bad press....i am a global perpetual tourist! we should all look for the cheapest solution. i want to stay, have external income and want to make the most of my money. Its best not to break the rules but how can we all as a group make the cheapest choice. I know people who overstay and pay the 20k once in a while, the are not bums and do well for themselves. I have never been on overstay for 10 years but may consider doing so if it means leaving this place because of having to marry, set up a company etc.... i want it real not false

Edited by sanook1

Don't you know how to do this-IIIIIIII! :o:D:D

Don't you know how to do this-IIIIIIII! :o:D:D

i know how to do this, its great:)

Can you still fly out and get the 60 day tourist visa and do this back to back - forever?

thanks

nam

nobody knows yet. in January and february should have a better fix on this. I just got a single entry TR visa from KL malaysia which should be good for 60 to 30 extension. Next time in KL or penang should be telling about the future.

Apologies to Cobra and Nam (above)

yes lets all give the whole thing bad press....i am a global perpetual tourist!

You are not a tourist, tourists don't earn money, they just spend it. You are a working nomad .... where do you pay tax on your income?

//edit/sshhh.... let's see how long it takes for the 183 day rule to be mentioned :o

Edited by Thaddeus

You are not a tourist, tourists don't earn money, they just spend it. You are a working nomad .... where do you pay tax on your income?

//edit/sshhh.... let's see how long it takes for the 183 day rule to be mentioned :o

most western countries have tax treaties with thailand to prevent double taxation. So if above poster is deriving income from properties etc then nothing to feel guilty about as he is accountable for local tax and thailand is not going to risk their favorable trading relationships with western countries to try to double tax people. Forget about it.

i pay tax in denmark, but im from the uk

\the rent from my property allows me to be a perpetual global, bangkok based, tourist:P

Can you still fly out and get the 60 day tourist visa and do this back to back - forever?

thanks

nam

nobody knows yet. in January and february should have a better fix on this. I just got a single entry TR visa from KL malaysia which should be good for 60 to 30 extension. Next time in KL or penang should be telling about the future.

Well, the OP included:

However, I think it unwise to rely on an uncorroborated account from an unidentified source.

As alluded to above, at the moment nobody can really say with certainty; those who may potentially be affected have little choice other than to wait and see... :o

thanks

nam

Well, the OP included:

However, I think it unwise to rely on an uncorroborated account from an unidentified source.

As alluded to above, at the moment nobody can really say with certainty; those who may potentially be affected have little choice other than to wait and see... :o

my friend said she wants to just overstay instead of doing visa runs. shes been doing so for 9 years now and never been asked to produce her documents for anything. so now she will just stop doing visa runs and just stay here. She runs a sucessful internet site from here but the taxes are only paid in amsterdam

thanks

nam

Well, the OP included:

As alluded to above, at the moment nobody can really say with certainty; those who may potentially be affected have little choice other than to wait and see... :D

my friend said she wants to just overstay instead of doing visa runs. shes been doing so for 9 years now and never been asked to produce her documents for anything. so now she will just stop doing visa runs and just stay here. She runs a sucessful internet site from here but the taxes are only paid in amsterdam

Wish her luck in the IDC... :o

thanks

nam

Well, the OP included:

As alluded to above, at the moment nobody can really say with certainty; those who may potentially be affected have little choice other than to wait and see... :D

idc??

thanks

nam

Well, the OP included:

idc??

Notoriously inhumane Immigration Dentention Center aka the Slammer

I'll bet anything that come January there will be major sweeps checking farang passports and arrests

goowar lew cap ill tell her to keep her head down...not that she ever gets off her comouter anyway ao i guess shes nothing to worry about

I was in LOS for four months last summer, and a number of times, I had to produce my passport for police at road checkpoints. However, if one does not travel by car and stays in a major tourist area, I can see how people can go for years without having to produce a passport.

However, on second thought, I also had to produce my passport for hotels, wire transfers, domestic flights, to get into a couple of clubs, and some payments by credit card. I'm not sure any of those people looked at the dates stamped inside, but if they did, they could have turned me into the police or blackmailed me.

I'm not so sure how one just overstays for a long period. Seems like one would have to lead an underground, fretful, and maybe even boring life in order to get away with it (boring because the area in which one can travel is very limited).

Pete

JR Texas (51, USA, currently in China):

So, Immigration Bureau Chief Pol. Lt. Gen. Suwat Thamrongsrisakul duly informed reporters that the new visa regulations are aimed to prevent foreign tourists from committing crime or creating social problems. I am a bit confused and need answers to the following questions:

1) How does removing the investment visa prevent foreigners from committing crimes or creating social problems? I do not see the connection. I can, however, see how this would prevent foreigners from investing in Thailand--especially investing in condos. At point A (prior to the changes) you invest 3 million baht on a condo in order to get a long term visa. Then, at point B (after the changes), your visa is taken away from you because the rule no longer applies. Do you understand how that could hurt investment?

2) How does removing the 400K marriage visa requirement prevent foreigners from committing crimes or creating social problems? Again, I do not see the connection. I can, however, see how this will make it more difficult for low income farang-Thai partners to live together in the Kingdom. I can see how this will, in fact, break up some of these unions. It will also force more people to work in the Kingdom who do not really want or need to work (of course, the new rules virtually prevent foreigners from doing any type of work and out of desperation might make compel them to work illegally).

3) Does the implementation of a 90 days in 90 days out rule (3 x border stamp rule or whatever you want to call it) prevent foreigners from committing crimes or creating social problems? Again, I am having trouble seeing the connection. In fact, it would seem to be that the more times a foreigner has to exit and enter Thailand via immigration check points, the greater the probability that any illegal activity will be detected. Right or wrong? Also, as an aside, if all of this has to do with preventing criminal behavior by foreigners (never mind that 99.9 percent of the crimes in Thailand are committed by Thais), why not simply allow foreigners to get a type of "security clearance" from their respective embassies in Bangkok that they can then take to immigration. In effect, certifying that they are not criminals.

4) Finally, your entire immigration system seem chaotic and disorganized. In one country you can do A, B, C but not D. In another you can do A and D only. In another, B and C. In another, like Cambodia, you can do none of the above. Call me "stupid" but doesn' this type of system promote error via confusion? And could that not lead to criminals getting past the system. Why not have one system, one policy, for all embassies/consulates, especially within the region of Southeast/South/East Asia?

Sorry for my confusion about these matters.

Best wishes and Happy Loi Kratong,

JR

I agree JR Texas. This couldn't possible have anything to do with stopping criminal elements.

Thailand has land boundries totaling 4863km, bordering on 4 countries and coastline of 3219km. Thailand would be a breeze for criminal elements to slip in and out of without detection.

My friend just got a 60 days TR visa in KL, after staying on a TR visa + 30 days extention. No changes there.

most western countries have tax treaties with thailand to prevent double taxation. So if above poster is deriving income from properties etc then nothing to feel guilty about as he is accountable for local tax and thailand is not going to risk their favorable trading relationships with western countries to try to double tax people. Forget about it.

by Thai law you are liable to pay 15% of your gross rental income if you don't file income tax here. If you set up a company and do file income tax returns, you can deduct expences.