Pattaya locals watch in horror as Englishman attempts gruesome suicide

webfact

Pattaya locals watch in horror as Englishman attempts gruesome suicide
Thaivisa Reporters

pat.jpg

- Shocked bystanders in Sattahip watched on a street in broad daylight as a 54 year old Englishman slashed his own neck with a six inch box cutter blade.

- The man sat slumped and dying in a pool of his own blood brandished the cutter scaring villagers with cries of "I want to die!"

PATTAYA: -- Police and medical personnel rushed to the scene at the entrance to the Bang Sarae housing estate in Sattahip, Chonburi, and managed to wrestle the weapon from the man who was named as Tony Roberts. He was rushed to hospital as it emerged he had made two previous attempts to end his life.

Investigators led by Kanchanaphat Phataweesrisuda of the Sattahip police were called to the scene when locals could not help the man for fear of being attacked themselves or making the situation worse as the desperate Englishman, understood to be involved in the business of renting motorcycles in the nearby market area, waved the cutter.

He was covered in blood propped up against a lamppost by the side of the road in full view of passersby. His own 125cc bike with keys still in the ignition was parked next to him.

Officials decided that he might die without their intervention and so they rushed him and managed to grab the cutter before sending him to the Sirikit hospital for urgent attention. His life was saved.

Investigators discovered that this was the third time that Mr Roberts had attempted to take his life having slashed his neck and wrists on two separate occasions before and survived both times. They said that he was under stress from a legal case that he is facing.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-24

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being in Thailand and places like Pattaya, bring the best and worsts in people, many are happy, but others succumbs to

the harsh reality of life existence owing to circumstances that some they can not overcome or control,

sour relationship, financial hardship and terminal ailments, are the stark reality of having to face day after day

and for some, are too much to bear and thus resorts to the final act of putting all that behind them....

Not saying this is the case for this man, but people who flee from depression and other mental illnesses back in their own home country tend to not understand that their illness will catch up on them sooner or later no matter where you are. Paradise is a temporary fix, but as soon as you've settled down, the same illness comes crawling back to you....

Go home, get treated and then come back to Thailand, unless you want to end up like thousands of farrangs who lose their minds down here, ending either with suicide, murder or a never-ending spiral of troubles with your wife, "friends" or bar owners.

Go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roberts had attempted to take his life having slashed his neck and wrists on two separate occasions before

What psychiatric care and/or support will be available in circumstances like this?

Any?

Release him tomorrow and hope he doesn't try it again... or if he does, does it successfully and less publicly

If something horrific like this ocurred in the UK

Women would "hurry" children away from the scene, not stand there gawking like spectators at a sport event.

I guess this is an example in the difference between Western and Asian mentality.

Hope the Guy gets the help he obviously needs

Being in Thailand and places like Pattaya, bring the best and worsts in people, many are happy, but others succumbs to

the harsh reality of life existence owing to circumstances that some they can not overcome or control,

sour relationship, financial hardship and terminal ailments, are the stark reality of having to face day after day

and for some, are too much to bear and thus resorts to the final act of putting all that behind them....

This was in Bang Saray not Pattaya.

If something horrific like this ocurred in the UK

Women would "hurry" children away from the scene, not stand there gawking like spectators at a sport event.

I guess this is an example in the difference between Western and Asian mentality.

Hope the Guy gets the help he obviously needs

We need to know how Americans would react to a situation like this

Several would intervene, and the rest would stand around and video it. Then, when the action died down ... they would take a lot of selfies .. then spend the rest of the obsessing on social media about it.

Pretty much like everywhere else now.

Thailand is exactly the wrong place to be if Mental Health care is what you require. Whether or not this guy had been drinking, or felt stressed, 3 suicide attempts in such a visceral and painful manner are highly indicative of serious mental health issues which he will not resolve here :( poor guy

You know, growing up in Australia the heat isnt all that a big deal in Thailand

Others mentioned trying to escape to a supposed paradise as a quick fix for mental issues

But there have also been some pretty ridiculous temperatures in Thailand recently for winter

Or a couple things combined

Does just the heat alone send some that come from colder climates mad, or madder if already mad

Tend to agree with the above.A friend of the family was

always trying to kill himself, but never did .As he slashed his wrists with a pair of scissors on several occasions but as a chef had access to the sharpest knives but never used them.Finally tried to drink bleach but found it tasted so bad that could only swallow a little taken to hostipal and was eventually sectioned as he was a danger to himself .

Obviously he needs special help,there but for the grace of god go us all,lets hope he sees sense and heads home where he will get the help he needs,he must have a friend that can persuade him to do this,or at least try,very young to be trying to kill himself.We all make mistakes that could lead us to do something bad.?

It's very easy to think of the unholy-trinity of drink, drugs, and women when one sees a case like this. No doubt other budding-Basil Rathbones on TV will soon be donning their deer-stalkers & Meershaums and pursuing the case with vigour and deducing this & that!

Joking aside, this guy obviously needs some kind of help, I feel doubtful that he will get it in the LOS (...obviously he will have to recognise that he needs help, and be willing to seek and accept it).

Brings to mind the sad case of the American guy who fell to his death in BKK a while ago.

Case closed? I think not. Surely there is a conspiracy. There always is for this type of thing in Thailand.

While I understand a good deal about mental illness, in this particular case I do not understand why one would wish to put others through the horror of having to witness this, that is the pinacle in my opinion of "self centerdness". Suicide is usually attempted away from observers. We used to call this particular type of action as "looking for attention". There are far less selfish ways of getting that by going through the proper channels.

.............'legal case'.....I would love to hear more about that.....

......don't know the details............but............

.......stripped of your rights...............and being helped by others......to lose everything you own......... would do that to people.....

Some foreigners object to extortion and can't deal with it on a daily basis. Some will understand my statement.

It was possible it was another cry for help as he did it in a public place. People who are serious about dying generally do it in private.

Assisted suicide patients are serious about dying.

Just my opinion....sad.png Very sad subject.....

The Police and medical teams have a very hard and emotional job. Next time anyone criticizes the Police, think about the stresses they have to endure and live with, please.

Poor man, it seems that there’s an epidemic of abstract unhappiness here, with no one or nowhere to turn.

Obviously loneliness is rife here, although it has been said many times that all you need do is pop into a bar and strike up a conversation. Yeah, that’s fine, on a superficial level, but where do you go and who do you trust with real feelings. Say the wrong thing, to the wrong person, in a bar or anywhere else for that matter, and you’ll find false sympathy in abundance, and usually just as a means to an end for the wrong person, of which there are many, to get his hands in your pockets. The reality is that there’s no shortage of farang on the bones of their arse, just dying for the opportunity to milk some innocent dry.

I don’t know about you guys, but all this suicide just breaks my heart. We are human beings, yet it seems that all some of us here can do is offer forth wise cracks or inhumane remarks, whereas what we should be doing is offering something a lot more wholesome as well as constructive.

I for one would gladly become involved in some sort of group where guys can go for help and find real friendship or advice from real people with genuine motives. Not sure how this could be achieved, but if anyone would like to discuss the possibilities please feel free to PM me.

It really is time that we make a stand and care for our own, as the reality is that no one else will…

Sad, very sad, but I have the feeling that the poor guy not really wants to die. Why else do it in broad daylight in front of a crowd? I'm no doctor, but it seems obvious that he is in desperate need of psychiatric help. Ehrm.. Here? In Thailand? Nah, no chance! Best would be to repatriate to his country and seek help there. I wish him well..

Poor guy. A lot of people face huge stress in business due to what have taken place here in the paat and they are still suffering from it and has given them unexpected problems that is hard to solve. Add on this the extra stress from visa rules and you might hear more of these stories.

Archived