Third Transformer Blows in Less than One Week

Gonzo the Face

Just had the third transformer/fuse blow in less than a week. THIRD ! ! !

Something definitely wrong here...... Thailand doesn't have to invent or create anything, just try and copy what the rest of the world is doing. But being here for so many years I just have to believe that someone is paying for equipment and cheap seconds are being installed, with money going into somebodies pocket. Otherwise its just gross incompetence.

Maybe we're all going to have to get used to air conditioner rationing. Even house numbers one day, odds the next. Good time to met the neighbours on your off-day!! tongue.png

With your obvious knowledge, skill and experience why not offer to fix the problem and teach the engineers how it should be done.?

Ever heard of a thing called Coincidence ?

Ever herad about a thing called Maintenance ?

I installed a transformer 5 years ago, it came including a 5 years maintenance service contract. They still have to come around for the first time.

Post removed and response to it.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Bashing incompetence, suggesting corruption and you do not even know if it is a fuse or a transformer. Come on Gonzo, there are other explanations. Like maybe the users have overloaded the system perhaps by modifying their electrical systems without getting approval or by having faults in their systems. Birds, snakes or squirles moving into the neighborhood? Even good manufactures make and sell a bad batch of product sometimes, don't they?

Bashing incompetence, suggesting corruption and you do not even know if it is a fuse or a transformer. Come on Gonzo, there are other explanations. Like maybe the users have overloaded the system perhaps by modifying their electrical systems without getting approval or by having faults in their systems. Birds, snakes or squirles moving into the neighborhood? Even good manufactures make and sell a bad batch of product sometimes, don't they?

Users modifying their electrical systems, you must be joking, because that would involve MANY users on the same circuit doing this, and even then their meter would give way first.

A bad batch of 3 transformers in the same neighborhood that were there probably for years already, and for sure not all 3 belonged to the same production batch?

The only 2 reasons for these events is non existing maintenance, as I said already, and the most probable one is that the transformers were too small for their job anyway.

It's a public secret that PEA is short of funds, and that they install transformers that aren't up for the load they are supposed to deliver.

With your obvious knowledge, skill and experience why not offer to fix the problem and teach the engineers how it should be done.?

Original poster is ABSOLUTELY correct. The things they can't get right here like traffic lights are very old technology. Traffic lights are frequently out of service, and I can never remember once seeing one out where I grew up.

Users modifying their electrical systems, you must be joking, because that would involve MANY users on the same circuit doing this, and even then their meter would give way first.

A bad batch of 3 transformers in the same neighborhood that were there probably for years already, and for sure not all 3 belonged to the same production batch?

The only 2 reasons for these events is non existing maintenance, as I said already, and the most probable one is that the transformers were too small for their job anyway.

It's a public secret that PEA is short of funds, and that they install transformers that aren't up for the load they are supposed to deliver.

Are you assuming that it was 3 different transformers at 3 different locations or do you know this to be a fact? Might it have all been at one location?

One or a few users increasing their usage by very large amount could do it could't it? And since the transformers or fuses worked for so many years, wouldn't you expect that the problem likely came from increased loads?

Who said they did not change their meter to a larger capacity? Anybody can buy and install a new meter.

The Op did not know if it was a transformer or a fuse which went boom, do you know? How do you know?

Frankly, unless you have accurately researched the details, you must be joking.

Transformers blow up all over the world when temperatures rise especially with more and more aging people moving into the cities to down size into a condo or apartment and be closer to their children. The younger generation moves to the cities for financial opportunities and security. Infrastructure in the cities all over the world are currently stressed. In fact they blow up when cities are carpet bombed. Unfortunately, product quality, especially imports are cut back from increased expenses, currency devaluations and retreating exchange rates. Be thankful you have a/c most of the time as billions of people don't. In fact most of the immigrants we hear about in the news in Europe and America have nothing; no food, no water, no country, no real shelters, no medicine, no doctors, no pension, no jobs, no money and only the clothes on their backs. Compare your problem to theirs. Forget about it.

Are you assuming that it was 3 different transformers at 3 different locations or do you know this to be a fact? Might it have all been at one location?

One or a few users increasing their usage by very large amount could do it could't it? And since the transformers or fuses worked for so many years, wouldn't you expect that the problem likely came from increased loads?

Who said they did not change their meter to a larger capacity? Anybody can buy and install a new meter.

The Op did not know if it was a transformer or a fuse which went boom, do you know? How do you know?

Frankly, unless you have accurately researched the details, you must be joking.

I think now you pushing it a bit far, so this will be my last reply to you.

First of all third transformer, like in one - two - three, can be that difficult to understand. As far as I'm aware a transformer can blow only ones, after which it has to be replaced.

No a single user or a few, among the hundreds connected to the transformer, increasing their usage will not cause a problem unless they increase it tenfold of course, but I guess their meter and wiring will go on fire long before the transformer

Your comment about people changing their meter on their own isn't even worth a reply.

And yes everything that doesn't have any maintenance done will work until it stops.A car needs an oil change every 10k kilometer, but that doesn't mean you can drive it for 100K kilometer without a service, but at one point the engine will blow.

Did you notice that I have a transformer, which I paid for and then gave away for free to the PEA, is working for 5 years already without having any of the needed annual maintenance done.

One day it will also blow, because transformers have oil inside and that is why they need maintenance, but when it blows that will be PEA's problem.

Goodbye

Shoddy made Chinese transformers,and its not the rainy season yet,

when they really start to explode.

regards Worgeordie

Actually the dry weather and dust are worse than the rain which washes it away. the dust is a good conductor, the basic systems are designed to be out in the weather. Thunder storms and lightning are a different matter.....

Dust is not always a good conductor of electricity...it all depends on its composition i.e what its made up from.

If its a metallic dust then games on, however if its likely to be from trees, vegetation or even concrete then the conductive properties are likely to be far less and even zero.

Dust within computers is generally always a problem/worry as that dust attracts static electricity which can and does do a lot of damage.

On the other hand dust can be very flamable. Explosions are known to occur at flour mills due in part to 'dust' and an igniter being present (In most cases caused by a static discharge). Nasty stuff.

But in the case of 3 transformers blowing up...my best guess is lack of maintainence and/or poor quality components. Naturally this heatwave is also affecting the transformers which is why I tend to lean more towards shoddy products.

Original poster is ABSOLUTELY correct. The things they can't get right here like traffic lights are very old technology. Traffic lights are frequently out of service, and I can never remember once seeing one out where I grew up.

I remember when the traffic lights were not working back in Glasgow, the traffic started running more freely, and this happened regularly.

Proving time and again that apart from pedestrian lights, they just were not needed.

I installed a transformer 5 years ago, it came including a 5 years maintenance service contract. They still have to come around for the first time.

Maybe they meant they would come to do maintenance after 5 yearsgigglem.gif

Just to return to the OP: Hi Gonzo, If one of these transformers explodes, stay away. They use different oil fillings,

one of the oils are polychlorinated biphenyls, which might not be good for your health.
And of course TheCruncher is right: maintenance is basic. I’m no expert, but as I know the oil inside the transformers

will be cooked (no joke!) and filtered to remove condensed water, and if not removed there must be, of course, one day an explosion.
More information about transformer maintenance: http://www.hintz-trafo-wartung.de/
Website in German and they are only working in Europe.- I worked there as a student in 1969.

Transformer explode or fuse blow? Big difference. OP not clear.

.........insects.....vermin.......or water leaking......???

You are absolutely right, MESmith.

SOTIRIOS, good idea, but with 20kV or more even snakes would be burnt.

To dust. - And leaking water should be no problem these days. But who knows?

I installed a 50 kva in our land in laos.........within a week of being connected (3 phase 220/380 V) someone apperantly wanted to snatch electricity for free.

Mind you the area was just connected to electricity in the village nearby.

Anyway........................BOOM......fire.....panic.......water.....damage done.

The local mayor & all family members (not present at the time) calmy claimed a thunderstorm caused the failure.

fear of compensation i guess.......can't proof anything....we closed the place down.

post-28792-0-59364000-1458843741_thumb.j

Edited by hgma

I noticed that here to and I wondered why myself. I sort have got it down to lack of Regular Maintenance and Overloading the Transformer. In my area they are constantly putting up new power lines but never adding any new Transformers.

Last year our Transformed kept kicking off almost on a daily bases. Then someone would come out to reset the Transformer and was back on in 30 minutes. Only to trip again later. So I suppose over time they kept setting the trip switch a little higher every time until the time came when it overloaded and blew. So they installed a new Transformer and that worked great for about 6 months. But then they started playing with it again and sure enough it now trips once a week.

I think in Thailand more and more Thais are using more electricity. Years ago all they had was lights. But now they have a Refrigerator, Microwave Ovens, and TV. Some with a Shower Heater and Air-conditioning. So I think that all of this new demand is just being tied into the same Transformer and sooner or later something has to give.

If you have a 5 year maintenance contract I would have expected that an annual inspection would have been undertaken as preventative maintenance