Bangkok burglar picks the wrong house to rob as off duty cop shoots him dead

webfact

Bangkok burglar picks the wrong house to rob as off duty cop shoots him dead
Thaivisa Reporters

bb.jpg
Image: Thairath.co.th

BANGKOK:-- A burglar clambering into a house in the Lat Prao area of Bangkok got a lot more than he bargained for as the owner house he was trying to rob was a policemen who shot him dead, reports Thaivisa News

Following the shooting the policeman calmly phoned in to report what he had done and waited for colleagues to arrive.

The drama unfolded during the early hours of Friday morning at a two storey house in Soi Prasertmanukit 42 in the Nawamin area of Lat Prao. Police were alerted when a fellow officer called in to say he was waiting for them at his house in the Sanrom Estate.

Officers found the lifeless body of a Nakorn Rachasima man riddled with bullets lying in a pool of blood by the side of the house. He was named as Daeng Petchnin aged 47.

He had been shot many times with a 9mm pistol. Investigators found spent cartridges and two hacksaws lying about.

The owner of the house, a junior policeman called Nathawut Srithep in giving himself up to police said: "We were all sleeping and I heard a noise downstairs. I grabbed my gun and looked out from my second floor window.

"I saw a man trying to gain entry through a first floor window. I shot at him until he fell down then called police," he added.

Neighbours in the area told officers that two weeks go there had been two burglaries in the immediate area. In the first nothing had been taken as the intruder was surprised but in the second a phone and tablet were taken. They were sure that this was the work of the man who lay dead.

Nathawut, who works at a training school,could face charges of killing with intent, police said. He was taken in for further questioning by Lat Prao police.

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-25

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'could face charges of killing with intent'

'riddled with bullets lying in a pool of blood' and 'I shot at him until he fell down"

now if someone is burglarizing your house, aren't you allowed to protect yourself & your property ???

also, riddled with bullets means many bullets were fired ..... not exactly 'I shot at him' ???

You can't just shoot and kill someone for climbing over your wall with the intention of robbing you. That crime doesn't fit the punishment. Point the gun, tell him to freeze and let the on duty police deal with him.

Bring on the Tea Party and the Dads with guns and beautiful daughters brigade.

'riddled with bullets lying in a pool of blood' and 'I shot at him until he fell down"

now if someone is burglarizing your house, aren't you allowed to protect yourself & your property ???

also, riddled with bullets means many bullets were fired ..... not exactly 'I shot at him' ???

Short answer NO YOUR NOT, well in civilised countries anyway. You can only kill someone if you have a genuine fear you life is in danger, the courts would also take into account whether you could flee e.g he's coming in a window and you could reasonably escape danger by going through the front door.

"I saw a man trying to gain entry through a first floor window. I shot at him until he fell down then called police," he added.

This sad, shooting down someone without having life threat to a person.

Why to shoot someone who is not threat to your life ? Why not give warning to the thief and give him a chance to run or make an arrest ?

So, police have a Gun mean they can shoot at anyone who comes in between their rouge motor cycle, or if they find they are not necessary for them ?

Is it allowed to use his official Gun off duty ? If this police not punished, probably you can declare Thailand as a Police state.

Edited by seedy
font

" Officers found the lifeless body of a Nakorn Rachasima man riddled with bullets "

it'll be interesting to see if this will be classified as extra judicial killing on the cop's part

or this is the norm when you're encountering a burglar in your home,

Whatever the outcome is, I'm sure that now all would be burglars will extra sure they

aren't braking into a copper house....

No, you can't just kill someone even if they are robbing your house.

There was a case in the UK some years back of a farmer who shot and killed a burglar. He ended up serving time for it as the defence said the burglar was running away from the property when he was shot.

You are clear that Thailand is not under UK law right?

A cop in the US told me you have the right to defend your property just make sure the body is inside your home when you kill him. But in defence of the officer he can just say your honor I don't live in a tent. Mai Pen Rai.

We had a burglary at our house 4 years ago. At the time we were given security advice from a local policeman. I questioned him as to what we could do if we were attacked. He made it perfectly clear that only if we were attacked could we defend ourselves. He went on to add that if the thief died there wouldn't be a problem if a weapon was discovered next to the corpse.

"now if someone is burglarizing your house, aren't you allowed to protect yourself & your property ???"

Using reasonable force...

​I have no sympathy for the deceased, but this proves the lack of training and unsuitability of some police officers to carry guns.

Shoot him in the arm or something, he certainly won't be climbing any more walls, or clambering on any rooftops, or carrying any big bags of loot when he has bullet / shrapnel injuries on his limbs. The deceased from the story wasn't even in the house yet, and seemingly this copper didn't even shout anything, simply opened fire.

Culpable homicide a la oscar pistorius. But again as were in Thailand and he is in that morally skyhigh institution that is the RTP he won't even have to sweat it once it's been designated its space under the rug. I feel for the deceased's relatives for their loss

No, you can't just kill someone even if they are robbing your house.

There was a case in the UK some years back of a farmer who shot and killed a burglar. He ended up serving time for it as the defence said the burglar was running away from the property when he was shot.

You are clear that Thailand is not under UK law right?

Thailand law actually says that you can only protect yourself with similar weapons as the invader is using.

So in other words if the invader only carries a knife then you are legally limited to a knife or the equivalent.

But I think the sentence in the OP already made it clear that the copper is in the wrong, as he should at least have given a warning first.

We had a burglary at our house 4 years ago. At the time we were given security advice from a local policeman. I questioned him as to what we could do if we were attacked. He made it perfectly clear that only if we were attacked could we defend ourselves. He went on to add that if the thief died there wouldn't be a problem if a weapon was discovered next to the corpse.

And surely you have a spare knife in the kitchen, preferably not one from a matched set. Oz lawyer also suggested a new knife with price sticker still attached would indicate premeditated ill-intent.

You can't just shoot and kill someone for climbing over your wall with the intention of robbing you. That crime doesn't fit the punishment. Point the gun, tell him to freeze and let the on duty police deal with him.

Bring on the Tea Party and the Dads with guns and beautiful daughters brigade.

Agreed.

:)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I asked my wife about this when we got robbed last year. Pricks got into my place and took some stuff. As I understand it here, you can only kill if your life is threatened - they have a knife / gun etc. But this guy was a cop so sure he will skirt the law on this one, unlike any other citizen.

This sad, shooting down someone without having life threat to a person.

Why to shoot someone who is not threat to your life ? Why not give warning to the thief and give him a chance to run or make an arrest ?

So, police have a Gun mean they can shoot at anyone who comes in between their rouge motor cycle, or if they find they are not necessary for them ?

Is it allowed to use his official Gun off duty ? If this police not punished, probably you can declare Thailand as a Police state.

Warning??? That not enough warning that house is private property? Im sick about this thinking who make crime they have to know this can be happening!

So we have to wait and find out if the robber has a gun???......maybe in the nanny western world, but here it's either shoot or ....maybe get shot.....I know what I'de be doing......if I had a gun....smile.png

His friends will find the robbers gun.

I asked my wife about this when we got robbed last year. Pricks got into my place and took some stuff. As I understand it here, you can only kill if your life is threatened - they have a knife / gun etc. But this guy was a cop so sure he will skirt the law on this one, unlike any other citizen.

well, having said that I'm sure if someone was killed in your own house ' and they just happened to have a large kitchen knife in their hand ' that could be considered as being life threatening ... whistling.gif