Pattaya starts cutting down low-hanging Walking Street signs

Rimmer

Pattaya starts cutting down low-hanging Walking Street signs

n3Pty.jpg

PATTAYA:--They were warned in December and February, but Walking Street business owners whose signs hung lower than 5.5 meters above street level saw Pattaya city workers start cutting them down March 15.

City Councilman Anupong Bhudanawarut led the team of municipal staffers to the nightlife strip to begin removing signs in violation of city building and safety codes. City hall maintains signs must be at least 5.5 meters high to ensure emergency vehicles can pass through Walking Street and its narrow sidestreets.

Anupong said 169 businesses were cited in February and warned to remove or raise their signage. About two-thirds of businesses did, but more than 50 remained too low when workers arrived with cutting tools.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-starts-cutting-down-low-hanging-walking-street-signs-57070#sthash.LAXPZeCl.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2016-03-25 footer_n.gif

Following the lead of the junta who for 2 years have been removing the low hanging fruit.

Of course you are right but who cares? It is a totally a legitimate action in my view! How would you like to be stuck in a building somewhere and have the fire engines or ladder trucks not able to get to you because some bar steward's dangerously electrically illuminated beer sign is in the way.

Oh, of course. Perhaps you are one of those TVF correspondents who would never be caught trapped dead in Pattaya? A remote possibility I know.

Now lets start on low hanging wiring (although most of it is TV cables and is not electric. It is still a b. eyesore like that sign in the picture, (pun intended), and a hazard of various degrees.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Excellent! clap2.gif Cut away starting with the big blue eyeglasses sign.

"But, but I never received notice to raise our sign." Try putting on your glasses.

Edited by connda

Good to see this practise. I was in Bangkok years ago and seen a large fire.

The fire trucks could only get into the alley via one way, as the other way was

clogged with low wires and signs. The fire burned for almost 8 more minutes as the streets

were also clogged with cars, and on lookers that the police had to clear.

The whole floor of the Hotel was burned because of this delay. It was on Sukimvit

and was near the Landmark Hotel but across the street. I just cannot remember what the name

of the place on fire was called. I do not have too much sympathy for the people of

Pattaya or other cities, that still figure it is okay to do this low hanging sign stuff.

Geezer

I wonder if this, taken with recent rumours of military intervention in Pattaya, might herald a worrying few months for the 101 business owners...

Only if the gravy train has been derailed......

Will they also remove the poles which supported the signs? Nothing better than wallking into, banging your head into, driving into an almost invisible pole jutting out horizontally from a building.