Suggestions On Where In Thailand To Retire?

JayBird

Just buy a condo close to the skytrain and malls in BKK. Who upcountry are you gonna tell about your trips to EU and the rest?? You'll be the talk of the town.

For walking BKK is too hot though and you'll know all the malls within some weeks. I know all of them.

Better go to Australia if you're active. It has it all.

If Thailand is your choice I would say that on here, 90+% of the posters live in the farang ghettos. If you want to experience Thailand for what it is, with pretty much no scams/ripoffs and genuine people I'd would find somewhere off the farang/tourist trail, real Thailand. Maybe no malls etc but your quality of life and integration with the locals will far outweigh that. If you want the malls etc, all reachable within at least a couple of hours drive all depending on where you are. East side of Phangnga province, Ranong, outer Mae Hong Song and a helluva lot more. JMHO

If Thailand is your choice I would say that on here, 90+% of the posters live in the farang ghettos. If you want to experience Thailand for what it is, with pretty much no scams/ripoffs and genuine people I'd would find somewhere off the farang/tourist trail, real Thailand. Maybe no malls etc but your quality of life and integration with the locals will far outweigh that. If you want the malls etc, all reachable within at least a couple of hours drive all depending on where you are. East side of Phangnga province, Ranong, outer Mae Hong Song and a helluva lot more. JMHO

I live in the subs of BKK, sure not a farang ghetto but if you can't speak Thai you'll have a ploblems here and even more without a thai wife. We have malls here but also there nobody speaks english.

Even in Siam area they can't speak english but you'll survive that. After a while it gets old though.

Scams and ripoffs are everywhere, even in malls. If you don't see a retailprice then be aware.....

And yes you'll need transport, whatever you choose....skytrain is the best..or a motobike.

Go to Australia and visit several city's, we won't see you back i guess.

I know about Chiang Mai, and have it on reliable sources that the pollution there can get awfully bad, which is why I didn't put it on my list.

And another good reason for not including Chiang Mai in your list in my view is the local immigration office, which, judging from all the horror stories I've read about it on both the Thai visas and Chiang Mai local fora, must surely be the most blatantly incompetent one in the whole of Thailand.crazy.gif

I have made it clear to my wife that, were she ever minded for us to move to Chiang Mai, I would divorce her and return to the UK on the first available flight for that very reason!biggrin.png

Edited by OJAS

Jaybird from just reading between the lines from your posts I feel you are asking the wrong forum for help.

You appear to be a young health orientated guy. With lots of income. One who likes good wines and perhaps the arts.

Most guys in this forum probably donot travel in the circles you are accustom too.Difficult to assist.

The lifestyle you lead is rare. And to be honest sounds likeyou will only be in Thailand 4 to 6 months a year hardly retired, just more of one residence out of many.

My suggestion to start is Pattaya. Get a rental with every thing you want. you will just have to learn to live for a few months a year in a place with no real culture stimulations, Just raw entertainment and beachs. Donot expect good wines and fine dining. You will have to be happy with mediocure at best.

Your best bet is Singapore.

Thank for your suggestion. I'm starting to think you may be right. (And I do nip to Singapore for a couple weeks every year as well). I'll look more into Udon Thani as others have suggested. Maybe its not as dull as I thought, however Hua Hin definitely appears to be *quiet*.

The plus side of Pattaya is its closer to BKK for International Flights (I believe everywhere else has to fly to BKK before flying to Europe/etc.)

Perhaps 'Retired' is the wrong word? I'm not 'working for a company' so I'm a free agent. (I did not want to say jettsetting playboy :P)

Oh well, time to dig more into Udon Thani and Pattaya. Thank you all for your feedback!

Udon is only an hour from Bkk. Several flights per day.

A bit off topic ... is Udon Thani clean during the burning season? No haze/pollution?

When SE Asian smog happens the entire region is boogered, but - of course - Udon's usefully 200 mile east of Chiang Mai and not in a bowl in the ground.

Vietnam's USP has to be sea breezes.

The OP says he needs clean air, no pollution.

Hardly Chiang Mai then.

Chiang Rai. No pollution, and few farangs .

Generally Chiang Rai is worse than Chiang Mai

I think Chiang Mai is good for 10 months of the year, the period outside the burning season. Plenty of outdoor activities and pretty decent malls and food locations. Nightlife is okay but is not like Pattaya or Bangkok. If you have access to a vehicle you can also spend some time in the Chiang Rai region, great for exploring the countryside and mountains. No beaches though, so that might be an issue.

When referring to the nightlife.. Are you referring to the opera, live theater or a major artist concert? No? I didn't think so. No really good nightlife here in Chiang Mai City.

I was wondering that myself. He says he works out quite a bit and is not much of a drinker.

Can't speak for a lot of the places you mention but mae Hong Song has a terrabl smog problem part of the year. Been a while since I was there but I don't think they have a shopping mall.

I would pick Cha-am beach area...I love it down there, I now live in Phitch area. Nice and very quit here,and my home is right on the river.

thread is about what the op would like, not what you like

I think there are really 2 good option for you:

1. Bangkok and do some short trips to Pattaya
  2. Pattaya and do some short trips to Bangkok

From one of the cities you are very fast... in less than 2 hours with public transportation. I personaly love bangkok and enjoy short trips to pattaya or Hua Hin. In Bangkok you have everything except the ocean for swim. If you choose a good condo near BTS with nice swiming pool and fitness.

There are of course many other option. The Visa thing will be your biggest problem. I see 2 possible way for you which given't you problems with the time (Elite Visa or Investement Visa) but both required some money. Investement even money have to be in Thailand, which many will suggest against.