Craft Beer in Bangkok

There goes the neighborhood.

I think the only farangs you are likely to see there will be pretentious and supercilious types, so you should have no problem.

I met some very nice farangs last time I was there, actually - nothing like the kind of people who tend to monopolize the discussion here.

The craft beer market in Asia is exploding, and in Bangkok, one brewery—Copenhagen's Mikkeller—is at the forefront. If that seems strange, it's not—find out how the Danish beer maker ended up in Thailand.

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2015-07-21/how-mikkeller-cult-brewery-changing-bangkok-craft-beer?tw=social

Not in my neck of the woods it's not. Nevermind. I like the new Cheers Riceberry from the 7/11 it's as close as I get to crsft beer these days. Piston head is nice too if you can find it. Here's what I want but this is what I get.

Cheers

post-221427-14690108152682_thumb.jpg

post-221427-14690108674445_thumb.jpg

post-221427-14690110981848_thumb.jpg

Loads of options now just all very expensive unfortunately!

The place in Chinatown is probably cheapest but out of the way.

What place is that in Chinatown?

Spill the beans please, Smokie.

"The Boy Must Die" or "Let The Boy Die", Luan/Luang Road Chinatown.

The name is apparently something from Game of Thrones.

One room, distressed style of decor, not what I would expect to appeal to most on here. Customers mainly under 30 who seem intent on making one glass last all night.

They sell five locally brewed beers 160 / 180 baht a glass of I think 330 ml. I had the number 4, the pale ale which I thought was very good.

A Game of Thrones bar full of Scotchlanders,is it me or is Bangkok getting weirder?

Not sure what a Scotchlander is.

There goes the neighborhood.

I think the only farangs you are likely to see there will be pretentious and supercilious types, so you should have no problem.

I met some very nice farangs last time I was there, actually - nothing like the kind of people who tend to monopolize the discussion here.

Not to worry SB. I have never paid six quid a pint in the UK, even in London, so I won't be doing it too often here. Though I do realise that there are many TV posters who would not dream of going anywhere that charged less.

I can not work out how some of you lads manage to drag yourselves away from the Hamptons, Mustique or dear old Monte, where you are surely more at home, to spend time in Thailand.

I wouldn't pay six pounds for a pint of decent ale in the UK. But then I wouldn't pay a fiver for a pad Thai in Thailand either. But some items tend to vary in value depending on where you buy them - surely you're aware of this phenomenon?

I wouldn't pay six pounds for a pint of decent ale in the UK. But then I wouldn't pay a fiver for a pad Thai in Thailand either. But some items tend to vary in value depending on where you buy them - surely you're aware of this phenomenon?

When a Thai curry costs £13 and the steamed rice another £5.95 I have to laugh when friends in the UK invite me out for Thai food.

When a Thai curry costs £13 and the steamed rice another £5.95 I have to laugh when friends in the UK invite me out for Thai food.

Agreed. But Thai food is expensive mostly all over Europe. Beer is not expensive all over Asia. Just ridiculously expensive here due to various laws.

Agreed. But Thai food is expensive mostly all over Europe. Beer is not expensive all over Asia. Just ridiculously expensive here due to various laws.

There's beer and there's beer. I wouldn't call 55 baht for a big bottle of local beer ridiculously expensive. But obviously if you want the imported stuff it gets a lot pricier. The same logic applies pretty much everywhere.

There's beer and there's beer. I wouldn't call 55 baht for a big bottle of local beer ridiculously expensive. But obviously if you want the imported stuff it gets a lot pricier. The same logic applies pretty much everywhere.

There's a craft beer revolution going on all over Asia. Just like Europe and America has. Where beer is made and only available in a small geographic area. Czech is a great example.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/asia/travel-tips-and-articles/east-asias-craft-beer-revolution-the-ultimate-guide-to-japan-taiwan-south-korea-and-china

https://www.facebook.com/craftbeerasia/

But due to ridiculous laws here, craft beer is very difficult to produce.

P.S. I don't really like the local beers. And primarily the small batch imported stuff.

Strangely enough I am aware of the phenomenon, but your logic appears to be a bit of a stretch. One of the attractions of Thailand is that it is (or used to be) very affordable not somewhere that you come to pay a lot more for a pint than you would at home. Though Central Bangkok can easily work out more than London. And I would not go out for a night expecting to have five or six pad Thai.

As for cheese, there are times when if cheese is what you want then cheese is what you have to have. I don't even know what current retail prices are for it in the UK, but last time I bought it here less than 800 baht for 2 kilos of Anchor Cheddar didn't seem too bad. It is a pity almost everything else seems to be at least twice the price.