Driving Licence and Car Insurance.

I am after some help and guidance here please as this is a new area for me. Having now retired I am spending more time in Thailand on an anual multiple entry visa with my thai g/f. We have a motorbike but recently my g/f has suggested we buy a small car. She can't drive so doesn't know what is involved. My background is I am British with a full UK driving Licence and current IDP (International Driving Permit) which has always been sufficient in the past when hiring a car or using the motorbike. We are in Lampang in the north.

My questions are 1) If I buy a car is the UK licence and IDP sufficient or do I need to get a Thai driving Licence and if so how do I go about this and what is involved?

2) Is the insurance fairly straightforward to obtain?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated greatly as I said despite having been coming and staying in Thailand for over 16 years this is new territory for me.

Thank you.

Singhaman.

If you are buying a new car the garage will sort out insurance.

If not a local insurance company will do it for you. Ask where you obtained the M/C.

Over here if you buy a second hand car any insurance/tax (That's if they have it in the first place) goes with the car. It's the car that's insured and not the person that owns it.

N/B make sure you get No:1 insurance they have several types but the No: 1 is like full comp: in England.

Once you have obtained the new/used car you will need to get a Thai licence ASAP, ask at the local police station where the licencing place is, then pop in ask what's required paper wise. They all differ.

Normally you wont need to pass a test your English licence will be enough. But you will need some form of proof of were you live.

Tip get the vehicle in your name. You cant own much here but a car M/C you can. If the relationship goes belly up you wont lose it.

I'm shore that local peeps will be along later to point you in the right direction.

In the mean time hope this helps a bit.

Edited by fredob43

Your UK driving license is not much help but an IDP is accepted if stopped at a checkpoint.

A proof of address letter that can be obtained from your local police station will be needed, usually for free but find out first what docs they want apart from passport. It will be needed to get, initially, a one year Thai drivers license and they usually ask if you want one for car and motorbike.

If buying a new car then the dealer will arrange the 1st class insurance, make sure it is for 1 year but it should come as part of the deal. Ask for more than the dealer offers and a discount too, be prepared to take your time and list your wants in writing. If you keep them talking until closing time that can also be beneficial! They will usually offer low cost items as freebies, however, list the expensive ones! You'll be surprised what they will be prepared to include so do your homework first. The one thing to remember is that Honda and Toyota, for two, are very difficult to get a good deal with whereas Mitsu for instance are much more accommodating in my experience.

Also when the insurance is up for renewal then use a broker as that will significantly reduce the premium while having the policy with a leading company and possibly the same one!

Best of luck.

Your UK driving license is not much help but an IDP is accepted if stopped at a checkpoint.

A proof of address letter that can be obtained from your local police station will be needed, usually for free but find out first what docs they want apart from passport. It will be needed to get, initially, a one year Thai drivers license and they usually ask if you want one for car and motorbike.

If buying a new car then the dealer will arrange the 1st class insurance, make sure it is for 1 year but it should come as part of the deal. Ask for more than the dealer offers and a discount too, be prepared to take your time and list your wants in writing. If you keep them talking until closing time that can also be beneficial! They will usually offer low cost items as freebies, however, list the expensive ones! You'll be surprised what they will be prepared to include so do your homework first. The one thing to remember is that Honda and Toyota, for two, are very difficult to get a good deal with whereas Mitsu for instance are much more accommodating in my experience.

Also when the insurance is up for renewal then use a broker as that will significantly reduce the premium while having the policy with a leading company and possibly the same one!

Best of luck.

Temporary licence is 2 years, not 1.

UK licence is valid for tourists (3 months) if living here Thai licence is required.

IDP is not legally required, but may be asked for anyway.

Getting a Thai driving licence borders on ridiculous - all that is needed is a medical report and the ability to distinguish the colours of a traffic light. Your GF or an agent will guide you through the paperwork.

Don't buy a new car. There are plenty of low-mileage Almeras, Vios, March or Suzuki Swifts around at a discount to new price.

Do not be surprised if the next step from your GF is getting her driving licence. Be prepared to be shocked by the standard of driving instructors.

Getting a Thai driving licence borders on ridiculous - all that is needed is a medical report and the ability to distinguish the colours of a traffic light. Your GF or an agent will guide you through the paperwork.

Don't buy a new car. There are plenty of low-mileage Almeras, Vios, March or Suzuki Swifts around at a discount to new price.

Do not be surprised if the next step from your GF is getting her driving licence. Be prepared to be shocked by the standard of driving instructors.

No, i completely disagree. Buy a new car, second hand prices are much too high. Inform yourself at your local land transport office about getting your Thai driving licence.

No, i completely disagree. Buy a new car, second hand prices are much too high. Inform yourself at your local land transport office about getting your Thai driving licence.

I agree too, buy a new motor, you can't be certain that a used one has been looked after to a good standard or been in any collisions

Disagree all you like. It's a matter of knowing where to shop. Plenty of the used models quoted in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Many are repossessions when the new buyers couldn't meet the monthly payment.

You may like standing/sitting in a queue for hours to get a licence, and the angst of getting the paperwork just so. I have better things to do with my time.

Edited by bazza40

Thanks guys for all your really useful replies and about buying a car too. The link, too, was good. Ideally I would like a used Ford, any comments? but it is good to know I, as a UK 'farang' can actually own something! Once I have read through everything and further queries, if any, I will post here.

Thanks again all,

Singhaman.

Disagree all you like. It's a matter of knowing where to shop. Plenty of the used models quoted in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Many are repossessions when the new buyers couldn't meet the monthly payment.

You may like standing/sitting in a queue for hours to get a licence, and the angst of getting the paperwork just so. I have better things to do with my time.

You may have better things to do with your time, but if living here youre required to have a Thai DL.

I got my first TDL five years ago. It took me two days to do it. Nightmare. I renewed it this month. Relatively pleasant experience. No lines, show that you can distinguish red and green, watch the video and 'Bob's your uncle'. They didn't even want my Medical Certificate. Took four hours but I arrived early to beat the non-existent lines and had to kill an hour and half waiting to view the video. This is in Phuket. If you have your documents in order it is an easy process. You can drop into your local Land Transport Office and ask them what docs you will need. If you live in Thailand you should get a TDL. I never carry my passport unless I am flying somewhere. I buy used cars. Do your research and check them out thoroughly. Use a downloaded Used Car Checklist. Or if you prefer, buy a new car.

New vs used cars. I bought new but if I had to do it over again I would buy used. I have a 2010 Nissan March that has 23Km on it. The insured value now is 180,000 baht. I am not selling but simply pointing out that when you leave the dealer with your new toy there isa substantial decline in value. Buying used means someone else has taken the initial hit.

Friend of a neighbour a few years back bought a new car on partial finance. I can't remember the exact figures involved so I'll just give an example.

Let's say the car was 1.5m, he paid 1m deposit and financed the remaining 500k. The new car came with 'free' insurance.

Within a few months the car was a total loss. He contacted the insurance company and was horrified to find out that they had only insured the 500k that was on finance.

The poor bloke got his payout which went straight to the finance company and his 1m went down the toilet.

So, if taking partial finance, find out exactly the sum the car is insured for.

You may have better things to do with your time, but if living here youre required to have a Thai DL.

You didn't read my original post thoroughly, did you. I have a Thai scooter and car driver's licence, 5 years each.

hi can anyone tell me what docs I wll need to renew my driving lic in pattaya hanks

Depends if you are going from a temporary (1 or 2 year) to another temporary, temporary to 5 year or 5 year to another 5 year?

Try one of these pinned topics - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633320-requirements-for-obtaining-and-renewing-a-1-year-driving-licence/page-11 or

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/625737-renewal-of-5-year-drivers-license/page-13

Start at the end and work backwards for most recent info

That is very presumptuous of you to assume the "driving instructors" actually have a standard

You didn't read my original post thoroughly, did you. I have a Thai scooter and car driver's licence, 5 years each.

I read the posts I was replying to. Nowhere did you state you have a Thai DL. But if you're living here and do have a Thai DL, good, that is the way it is supposed to be, for your own good.

OP, if you need help and support through the car buying process and / or the Thai Driving Licence process, you can contact www.bangkokvisitors.com

I have used them many times for Driving Licence process (they will attend with you and help speed up the crazy process).

They also helped a lady I know buy a car etc.

I read the posts I was replying to. Nowhere did you state you have a Thai DL. But if you're living here and do have a Thai DL, good, that is the way it is supposed to be, for your own good.

There's a thought process called inference. Try it sometime.

Don't be ridiculous.

My last words on this, it really is not worth it, but "Getting a Thai driving licence borders on ridiculous - all that is needed is a medical report and the ability to distinguish the colours of a traffic light. Your GF or an agent will guide you through the paperwork." does in no way imply you have a Thai DL.

Don't be ridiculous.

My last words on this, it really is not worth it, but "Getting a Thai driving licence borders on ridiculous - all that is needed is a medical report and the ability to distinguish the colours of a traffic light. Your GF or an agent will guide you through the paperwork." does in no way imply you have a Thai DL.

Get real, how would I know the requirements and the traffic light test unless I had applied for a licence myself? You have an imagination deficit.